Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 31 2011, 07:37 PM   #31
the G-man
Commodore

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
I find this neither good nor bad but I do find it kind of amusing how, these days, the "Trinity" seems to be Superman, Batman and GL. Just an observation on the changing tastes of fans.
Instead of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman?

Has that trinity ever really existed outside of DC Marketing and the 30,000 or so people who buy Wonder Woman and want their hero to be important?
Heh. Yeah, that's my point. It was always about marketing. GL is hot right now. WW isn't. So now we get a rebooted JLA where the three "big guns" are Supes, Bats and GL instead of a few years ago when it was Superman, Batman and WW.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 07:42 PM   #32
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
Meh, Justice League #1 was weird. That's supposed to be the start of the DCnU, the first issue that's supposed to get new readers exited? It wasn't bad, but there was nothing new about it, it didn't feel like a fresh start at all and it wasn't even about the Justice League. They're really writing for the trade and that's just stupid, why not tell a simple story to show what the Justice League is about in one issue, how many new readers will stick around for a few months until they get to read stories about the Justice league?

If they want to write for trades they should just release trades and kill the monthlies.
Agreed on all counts. If this was really meant to be the launch, why not an 80 page, tell a LOT of story... not something that in the 1970s would've taken 3 pages.
Old August 31 2011, 07:44 PM   #33
JD
Admiral

I just read it and thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but a competent start. I thought the banter between Batman and Green Lantern was pretty good, especially the bits that Turtletrekker highlighted. I know some people are mad that it was just Bats and GL, but IMO that's a better way to do it then giving us all of the characters at once. Since this is the first time we're seeing the new versions of the characters, IMO introducing them slowly with each issue introducing one or two gives us a chance to get to know them as individuals before we get to know them as a time. I'm definitely intrigued by the hint as to who the big bad will be for the first arc (at least). The only real complaint I have, is that since this is the start of the new universe, it would have been nice to get a little more world building. There was some in dialogue, but it would have been nice to a little more detail. I'm definitely sticking through at least to the end of the arc, and the beginning of more of the series. My Rating: 4/5
Oh, and if anyone is wondering about a poll, I figured this would be for the whole New 52, so I didn't think it would be manageable to try to do a poll with multiple options for 52 individual issues.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that this was my first exposure to Jim Lee's art, and I really liked it.
Old August 31 2011, 07:55 PM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well other than the first issue, which I'll get out of curiosity, I was just gonna wait for the trades on all these anyway.

Most comics today are so short that it's not really worth the EFFORT to buy individually.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 08:04 PM   #35
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I'm definitely intrigued by the hint as to who the big bad will be for the first arc (at least).
Hint? It was shouted out.
Old August 31 2011, 08:07 PM   #36
JD
Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I'm definitely intrigued by the hint as to who the big bad will be for the first arc (at least).
Hint? It was shouted out.
Yeah... I guess you've got a point there.
IGN's positive review and a more mixed second opinion are up.
Old August 31 2011, 08:31 PM   #37
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well other than the first issue, which I'll get out of curiosity, I was just gonna wait for the trades on all these anyway.

Most comics today are so short that it's not really worth the EFFORT to buy individually.
I went during lunch and got JLA #1 but will have to read it later, as quick a read as it's likely to be. I did try to download the comic a few minutes ago but I think my work filters are causing an issue.

I'm also only getting the first issue and will wait for the TPB but will be spoiling myself with others posts just to stay current till I get the TPB's at some 1/2 off dealer come April at a show/convention.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 09:48 PM   #38
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Here`s an unanswerable question - what mega-event is being set-up in the two-page spread in Flashpoint and who are "they"?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 10:33 PM   #39
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^
Stormwatch?
I could see Jim Lee having the pull to make one of his babies part of the backbone of this relaunch. It would theoretically firm them up as crucial to this continuity and most likely any going forward.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 10:34 PM   #40
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Ok, those exchanges held within Turtle's impregnable spoiler fortress actually sort of makes me want to buy this. That's really kind of hilarious.

Also, I enjoy hating Batman, so this might be good for me, especially given that Geoff Johns is the only writer on Earth willing to have another character give him the beating he so richly deserves.
Um you did notice that GL is the designated buttmonkey of this issue right? Not Batman.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 10:56 PM   #41
the G-man
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Here`s an unanswerable question - what mega-event is being set-up in the two-page spread in Flashpoint and who are "they"?

Another goddam Crisis from the looks of it
Old August 31 2011, 10:56 PM   #42
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Having little interest in Batman, I didn't care all that much for the issue. I really don't have much interest in comics where the heroes spend as much, if not more time, fighting each other than the villains. Someone should do a comic where the villains sit around a bar or coffee shop and watch the heroes beating the crap out of each other. A few entertaining one liners do not make up for the overall tedium that made this an over priced book that I'm unlikely to buy in the future.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 10:59 PM   #43
the G-man
Commodore

It's another "paced for the trade" book and, while I think some fans will enjoy it, I don't see it attracting a lot of new readers, who are going to wonder why the book promises the "big seven" and all we get is part of an old Brave and Bold team up.
Old August 31 2011, 11:03 PM   #44
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I'm going to give Grant Morrison's Superman comic a shot. Basically, All-Star Superman was the best Superman story I'd read in the last, what, 10 years? 20?

That sort of quality gives a writer a little benefit of the doubt when tackling the same character.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 11:07 PM   #45
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
It's another "paced for the trade" book
And this right here shows why the reboot/relaunch isn't as new as DC has been saying because their still doing the same old same old just with a new look and easier access.

Seriously unless the trades are going digital WHY did they move to the digital market when their still based around selling trades?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote