RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 527
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 31 2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

The last version of this über-useful thread seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs, so here's a new one.

Just finished Babel-17 by Samuel Delany, which I thought I'd read in the misty depths of time but apparently not as none of it was familiar. It was a very interesting read and challenging in places, not hard to see why it won the Nebula and not the Hugo.

Now beginning Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I like it so far, though it does have a little "look-how-cool-an-author-I-am" element at times.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 01:56 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I have been attempting to finish it since November. It's not bad. I really enjoy it while I'm reading it. It's just that when I'm not reading it, I tend to forget that it's there.
Old August 31 2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Gatekeeper
Commodore

I am waiting for the mid-September release of David Weber's "How Firm a Foundation," the fifth novel in his Safehold series of books.

Gatekeeper
Old August 31 2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

The Gathering Storm by Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan
Old August 31 2011, 02:28 AM   #5
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Just finished Discworld-The Truth. Reading "Beer, Chicks and Wargames".
Old August 31 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Finishing Steven Erikson's "Gardens Of The Moon". Good stuff, once you understand who's who and what's going on.

Wiki says that the series has 10 books and that it's finished. How's the rest of them compared to "Gardens Of The Moon"?
Old September 21 2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Finished Snow Crash, which was a lot of fun, and now diving into the deep end with Philip K. Dick's Valis trilogy. Got through Valis and into The Divine Invasion.
Old September 22 2011, 04:04 AM   #8
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

I'm into the second quarter of Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, with Judas Unchained up next. Hopefully Vinge's The Children of the Sky is out by then.
Old September 24 2011, 01:08 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Greg Bear's ANvil of Stars...thinking about a re-read of Neuromancer before reading the sequel to Anvil...

RAMA
Old September 24 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
The last version of this über-useful thread seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs, so here's a new one.
Oh I missed this thread.

The Valis 'trilogy' is one hell of a read. I think the first book is the best of them, but really Philip K. Dick's later, frustatedly gnostic novels are usually my favourites.

Had an active enough summer, sci-fi book reading wise. John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar was fantastic, even if it was a little weird to read a book set last year (at a time that was a distant future date) whose predictions went from the once-topical fears of population explosion to the cannier quips about increasingly personalized corporate advertising. There's a trenchant anger about global income inequality that, well, is unfortunately just as apt.

The Windup Girl was also really good. One could almost taste the heat here. Vivid bit of eco-sci-fi, with rising sea levels and the collapse of fossil fuels and the rise of biotechnology somehow resulting in a world where dirigibles are back in fashion. I got it entirely on a whim and didn't regret that at all.

Also spent the summer trawling through various books of Ursula Le Guin's Hainish "series" (it's rather loosely connected to the point two completely different planets which are each themselves a major focus happen to have the same name, Werel, out of the author not recalling she'd used it before) - with some of the short stories, at that. Of the books I read this year The Dispossesed was by far the best, but since it was a year or so ago when I read Left Hand of Darkness that's probably not being terribly fair.

Oh, and Frederik Pohl's Jem. It's hard to make aliens that seem convincingly alien, convincingly biological, and, frankly, interesting. I think Pohl did rather nicely with the three thoroughly weird inhabitants of the title planet, although the race of sapient balloonists who are attracted to light are by far the most fun.
Old September 25 2011, 04:23 AM   #11
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Shurik wrote: View Post
Finishing Steven Erikson's "Gardens Of The Moon". Good stuff, once you understand who's who and what's going on.

Wiki says that the series has 10 books and that it's finished. How's the rest of them compared to "Gardens Of The Moon"?
I've read the first 5 books, with 6-9 on my bookshelf and just waiting for mass market paperback release of the 10th.

Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are really great, House of Chains is a major departure from the inter-related stories of the first three, but stars a couple real badass main characters. Midnight Tides was the clear low point for me of the first 5. Seems like it was mostly to set up plot for later books.

This is a great series if you like world building and huge, sweeping plotlines. I love it, but the length of the books means I always have to take a long break between installments. Erikson is a good writer.

I just read Without Warning by John Birmingham. Loved it, so tense and cataclysmic.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 04:55 AM   #12
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Started readin' Star Trek: Typhon Pact - Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward last night.
Old September 25 2011, 06:01 AM   #13
Klaus
Rear Admiral

On a side note, it'll be easier for me to read what I want now -- for the first time in over 8 years, all of my 1000+ sf/f paperbacks and hardcovers are alphabetized.
Old September 25 2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Still on A Dance With Dragons.

I think I'll read A Stitch In Time next.
Old September 25 2011, 10:29 PM   #15
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ordered this...it'll be next on this list.

http://www.amazon.com/Accelerando-Ch...6986020&sr=1-2