RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,698
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 437
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 30 2011, 11:31 PM   #1
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I figured since the other thread was focused on the lead up to the comics, it might be a good idea to do a thread specifically for discussing the actual comics themselves. That way we don't have to worry about spoiling things for people who are waiting for trades or for other reasons.
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Wait a minute - you mean there are people who really expect not to find out what happens in a monthly periodical until it's republished all together a year or two later? And they consider that it's a reasonable courtesy for other people to not discuss it in a timely fashion as it's published?

What a sense of entitlement that must require.

Oh, and Ozymandias materializes a fucking giant squid on top of New York City.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Wait a minute - you mean there are people who really expect not to find out what happens in a monthly periodical until it's republished all together a year or two later? And they consider that it's a reasonable courtesy for other people to not discuss it in a timely fashion as it's published?

What a sense of entitlement that must require.
Yeah... I sorta agree...


Oh, and Ozymandias materializes a fucking giant squid on top of New York City.
Sandman gets killed at the end. And comes back.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 01:15 AM   #4
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I am waiting for this weekend to go to the comic store and get three weeks worth of comics. I have to admit I am both excited and worried about this.
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ I'm not worried about it. I've gone through a whole wide range of emotions since it was announced back in June lol. I'm not really excited either about tomorrow since the bulk of what I'll be focusing on doesn't come out until the 7th.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

First review of Justice League #1 is in!

CBR gives it... 3 out of 5 stars.

An excerpt...

Ultimately, this is an average comic that is undone by being the first issue of "Justice League." It's hard to keep from thinking that placing the origin story first was a big mistake, that this should have been the second story. Instead, open "Justice League" #1 with the new team already in place, and introduce the characters quickly and efficiently to the reader as we see what it's like to have them all working together and fighting bad guys. In other words, give the new audience that you're so desperately trying to entice a glimpse of what this book is about. Because instead, what we're getting isn't really a story about the Justice League, it's a story about Batman and Green Lantern's first meeting, plus a non-cyborg look at Cyborg's pre-hero life. It's not a bad script, but it's not enticing, and it's probably not what "Justice League" will be like on most months.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

According to Bleeding Cool Justice League #1 has sold out.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/...ue-1-sold-out/
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 05:37 AM   #8
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
First review of Justice League #1 is in!

CBR gives it... 3 out of 5 stars.

An excerpt...

Ultimately, this is an average comic that is undone by being the first issue of "Justice League." It's hard to keep from thinking that placing the origin story first was a big mistake, that this should have been the second story. Instead, open "Justice League" #1 with the new team already in place, and introduce the characters quickly and efficiently to the reader as we see what it's like to have them all working together and fighting bad guys. In other words, give the new audience that you're so desperately trying to entice a glimpse of what this book is about. Because instead, what we're getting isn't really a story about the Justice League, it's a story about Batman and Green Lantern's first meeting, plus a non-cyborg look at Cyborg's pre-hero life. It's not a bad script, but it's not enticing, and it's probably not what "Justice League" will be like on most months.

So... an average book launches the rebo...relaunch. Huh.

And I still don't get the love for Cyborg...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 05:38 AM   #9
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
First review of Justice League #1 is in!

CBR gives it... 3 out of 5 stars.

An excerpt...

Ultimately, this is an average comic that is undone by being the first issue of "Justice League." It's hard to keep from thinking that placing the origin story first was a big mistake, that this should have been the second story. Instead, open "Justice League" #1 with the new team already in place, and introduce the characters quickly and efficiently to the reader as we see what it's like to have them all working together and fighting bad guys. In other words, give the new audience that you're so desperately trying to entice a glimpse of what this book is about. Because instead, what we're getting isn't really a story about the Justice League, it's a story about Batman and Green Lantern's first meeting, plus a non-cyborg look at Cyborg's pre-hero life. It's not a bad script, but it's not enticing, and it's probably not what "Justice League" will be like on most months.
I'm not going to take this review to heart. The reviewer has set up a straw man and is criticizing what the reviewer thinks the book should have been about and not what it is about. (Now I didn't actually look at the rest of the review for fear of spoilers, mind you.)

Is DC drawing from Smallville by making Victor a contemporary of Superman and Aquaman rather than Robin and Wonder Girl?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 05:42 AM   #10
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Damn. Turns out Comixology is holding Justice League until 2:00PM Eastern Time tomarrow (or today for those who are past midnight).
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Wait a minute - you mean there are people who really expect not to find out what happens in a monthly periodical until it's republished all together a year or two later? And they consider that it's a reasonable courtesy for other people to not discuss it in a timely fashion as it's published?

What a sense of entitlement that must require.
Yes. How dare JD show some curiosity in the internet!

Seriously though, I suppose it is the same sense of "entitlement" that people feel when "new episodes" or "movie review" threads are created separately from the countdown/pre-release threads so those who haven't seen the newest stuff won't be spoiled. How is that any different if people are waiting until the DVD release to view it?

I don't see what the big deal is.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
According to Bleeding Cool Justice League #1 has sold out.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/...ue-1-sold-out/
I wonder, though, how many of JL #1 will be purchased in the stores and how many stores will use that return policy DC has now in place. I doubt it many will, but I wonder if DC/Diamond is jumping the gun a bit by reporting this.

Then again, by reporting this might get people who were on the fence about buying it to buy it thinking that it's a collectible and few will be remaining to get.

Edit: Here is an interesting article on comics that sell out. It probably won't relate to JL given the number of copies printed, but interesting nonetheless.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Team Broccoli; August 31 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 06:18 AM   #12
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

In the lit forum there is usually a moratorium on un-coded spoilers for about a month for new books. That doesn't seem like a bad policy to have in this thread.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; August 31 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I picked up both Flashpoint #5 and Justice League#1 and as to the latter, would have to agree with CBR's review of the book. It was better written than I thought it would be (I'm saying this as a big Johns fan) and Jim Lee is at his best. Justice League has more of a feeling of a team up book than us being introduced to the world's greatest heroes.

As for Flashpoint #5...man was this whole thing disappointing. The pay off comes at the end where Bruce and Barry share a nice little moment together. The transitional pages are pretty lame to me, oh and Thawne explains things in this issue. I think I'll be passing on picking up the hardcover when it comes out in Oct.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 09:27 AM   #14
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

It is a very average comic, maybe a mythical new reader might get more out of this but for anyone who has been reading comics for a while there is nothing particularly new or interesting in here.

It's also got a real weird tone in that all of the characters are being set-up like it's an after-school special and so it feels like that


I'd say 3/5 would be about right.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ Yes. I agree it does have a weird tonal structure to it. I think that is one of the reasons why I didn't like it, I wanted to but didn't. 3/5 is more than a fair rating for this.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, comic books, comics, dc comics, dc's new 52, justice league, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.