RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 420
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 28 2011, 11:07 PM   #1366
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

A Dell Notebook for $550. It has a 500GB hard-drive.

Compare that my first computer which was a secondhand 386 with a 40MB hard-drive which a bought back in 1994 for $1150.

I am now using Windows 7, my first computer used Windows 3.1.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 11:48 PM   #1367
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Just to complete the circle, I actually tried this drink a couple of days ago. It really is rather lush! Thanks for the tip.
Another one bites the dust! They'll always get you in the end. They are pure, sinful, evil.

And to keep this on topic, my last significant purchase:

Old August 29 2011, 12:28 AM   #1368
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I spent a lot of money this week, which I probably should have been more judicious about but oh well.

Let's see... apart from groceries, gas, and laundry I snagged a couple of books from the used book store down the street (mostly Trek books from the early '90s that I read as a kid).

I also bought a copy of Ron Moore's "Virtuality" on DVD and a copy of Roger Sterling's "Sterling's Gold."
Old August 29 2011, 01:39 AM   #1369
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I also bought a copy of Ron Moore's "Virtuality" on DVD
Have you watched that yet? It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while, but I've resisted buying it because I don't want to spent my money on something that's shit.

I also tried watching it on Hulu, but they no longer have it posted.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 01:41 AM   #1370
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I have not had the chance to view it, no. I'm waiting for a friend/fellow writer who wants to see it as well to watch it with her.
Old August 29 2011, 01:47 AM   #1371
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

For what's it worth, I bought Virtuality back when the DVD was a Best Buy exclusive and was even more disappointed after watching it that the pilot hadn't gone to series. I quite liked it.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 04:46 AM   #1372
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

About $100 bucks worth of groceries. We stocked up on some things--mostly pork and fish--to freeze for later.
Old August 29 2011, 07:45 PM   #1373
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Bottles of marsala wine and cream sherry- I need both for cooking. Can't make chicken marsala without marsala! And the sherry is perfect for my risotto. I go through a bottle of sherry almost every month because I make risotto so often!

I have a big amazon.com gift card, and not sure what I want to spend it on. I already have a ton of books on my Kindle, and I'm not ready to buy more.
Old August 29 2011, 07:45 PM   #1374
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

A coffee eclair
Old August 29 2011, 09:22 PM   #1375
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I go through a bottle of sherry almost every month because I make risotto so often!
Sure, sure, that's the reason...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 01:53 AM   #1376
trekvix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

trekvix wrote: View Post
A commission of my Transformers corset design, I'll have the real thing in just over a month!
That's cool, though bright yellow is a mighty tough colour to pull off.

Customised corsetry is certainly an intriguing niche! I have a bit of an interest in clothes, so forgive a few questions: is it just the applied design that's unique, or is the garment itself bespoke in terms of it being fitted to your figure? I would assume the latter would be quite vital in terms of ensuring correct fit for something as closely-fitting as a corset.

Also, if it's not too rude a question, how much of an upcharge do you have to pay for bespoke versus ready-to-wear (percentage terms is fine, no need to give absolute figures)? I'm just curious as to how the mark-up compares with the tailored menswear side of custom clothing.

Oh yes, I designed it and I am have a corset couturier make it, most definitely to my own measurement of course!! Pricing depends entirely on who you go to, what services they offer, and what quality. Corset qualities, materials, fits, shapes, and expertise required to construct vary more than any other article of clothing, and there are way fewer 'ready-to-wear' corsets than couture corsets, because they fit a woman's body so specifically by anywhere between one and ten measurements. Some corsets cost one hundred, some one thousand (most several hundred, for a couture fit), and then you get into the haute couture designers and it's many thousands. I can't really give you a number, just because every single corseterie is so different.
trekvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2011, 01:58 AM   #1377
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Lunch at the studio commissary: Salad (freshly chopped red and green peppers, red onion, tomato, celery, and feta cheese with a light balsamic vinaigrette) with falafel, some pita bread and hummus. Deeeeeelish.
Old August 30 2011, 02:58 AM   #1378
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

I go through a bottle of sherry almost every month because I make risotto so often!
Sure, sure, that's the reason...

Ugh, I can't drink sherry straight. I only use it for cooking. I'm not a wine person, to be honest...
Old August 30 2011, 11:27 PM   #1379
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

trekvix wrote: View Post
Thanks for the explanation & information. Always interesting to hear about custom clothing projects.

Ugh, I can't drink sherry straight. I only use it for cooking. I'm not a wine person, to be honest...
Being a wine person, I'm biased, but I really think Sherry is woefully underappreciated. It's a really brilliant little wine; my favourite is a good Oloroso, which can be a very satisfying little tipple. And sometimes, a sweet sherry really hits the spot. And of course, PX & ice cream remains a lovely treat.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2011, 07:00 AM   #1380
BigFoot
Admiral

I got my copy of Deux Ex: Human Revolution yesterday.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote