Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Fright Night (2011) Grading
A+ 2 11.76%
A 3 17.65%
A- 2 11.76%
B+ 6 35.29%
B 2 11.76%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 5.88%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 1 5.88%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27 2011, 10:10 AM   #31
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Fright Night (2011) Discussion/Review

Servo wrote: View Post
Had a few laughs, the performances were all pretty solid for what it is, and it kept me entertained for 90 minutes.
What about the other half hour?
Old August 27 2011, 01:10 PM   #32
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Not bad. I liked the Chris Sarandon cameo. Evil Ed wasn't as good as in the original, and let's hope Mintz-Plasse's career doesn't go the same way as Stephen Geoffreys' did after the '85 film.
Tennant was very good as Peter Vincent, but I have to say I still prefer Roddy McDowall's portrayal.

All in all, not a bad effort. Had a few laughs, the performances were all pretty solid for what it is, and it kept me entertained for 90 minutes. Not as good as the original, but most definitely worth a watch.

Oh, and Jerry needed a ghoul.

B+
Hey, was Sarandon the guy that hit them in the car?
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 01:13 PM   #33
Servo
Rear Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Yes, that was him.
Old August 27 2011, 01:28 PM   #34
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
The original Fright Night was one of the cinematic pioneers of the sexy vampire (along with Vamp, Frank Langella's Dracula, Interview with the Vampire and Lost Boys.) That well's been drained dry.
None of those films even comes close to pioneering the "sexy vampire" in cinema. Modernising it maybe, to a certain extent, but definitely not pioneers.

The real pioneer work was done in the 60's and 70's by European directors, who were making highly stylised films which often featured full frontal nudity and sex scenes. Even Hammer here in the UK sexualised their gothic vampire films as much as the censors would allow them to for the late 50's and 60's, even if they did go a bit camp and ridiculous with some of it in the later years.
Didn't they start the sexy vampire trend in the 1931 Dracula (and the Broadway show that preceded it), where Bela Lugosi played him as a suave, charming Eastern European aristocrat?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 02:51 PM   #35
Servo
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Didn't they start the sexy vampire trend in the 1931 Dracula (and the Broadway show that preceded it), where Bela Lugosi played him as a suave, charming Eastern European aristocrat?
To the same extent as most suave, debonair men were sexualised on film in those days, yes. Which was to say not much. The sexuality and seduction aspects of vampirism were downplayed and limited to implied scenes - a lot of films preferring to imply that a vampire's control over its victim was hypnotic, rather than seductive.

It wasn't until the late 50's and early 60's, with the introduction of more liberal views on censorship in some European countries, that cinematic vampires started to become more heavily sexualised.
Old August 27 2011, 04:20 PM   #36
DarKush
Rear Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Yes, that was him.
Thanks. That was pretty cool. I was wondering if there were any cameos in the film.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 10:59 PM   #37
stj
Rear Admiral

None of those films even comes close to pioneering the "sexy vampire" in cinema. Modernising it maybe, to a certain extent, but definitely not pioneers.

The real pioneer work was done in the 60's and 70's by European directors, who were making highly stylised films which often featured full frontal nudity and sex scenes. Even Hammer here in the UK sexualised their gothic vampire films as much as the censors would allow them to for the late 50's and 60's, even if they did go a bit camp and ridiculous with some of it in the later years.
In US cinema, as opposed to world cinema, it was the movies I mentioned. I think the US movie that followed in the European vein was The Hunger (complete with Catherine Deneuve to give it authenticity.) Which I don't think was very influential in the US.

The Fright Night remake kept most of the story elements developing the sexual appeal of the vampire with a vampire who was a raving monster. This was stunningly inept.
Old August 28 2011, 01:13 AM   #38
Snaploud
Admiral

I thought it was a fun film that started terribly and picked up considerably when McLovin and (especially) Tennant came on screen.
marillion wrote: View Post
The good news? David Tennant stole every scene he was in and was the best part of the movie...
QFT

Tennant was the star of this film. The male and female leads could have been replaced by anybody. The main vampire villain wasn't bad, though.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 02:11 AM   #39
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself throughout the film. It's not fantastic or anything, but I'd give it a solid "B."

Tennant definitely stole the show, but Yelchin did a great job as well. There were some good suspenseful scenes, and Farrell channeled his best creepy douche, which shouldn't have been too hard.

All the callbacks to the original were nice, yet they changed it up enough to still keep it engaging. Chris Sarandon's appearance was cool and got a knowing laugh from at least a few of the audience members.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 05:25 PM   #40
Ethros
Vice Admiral

This was only released in the UK on Friday, jusu come back from seeing it today.

Two words why I liked this movie-

Imogen

Poots

Christ almighty.....
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote