RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 492
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 25 2011, 03:40 AM   #1351
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Not now. Maybe later.

What are some other good games? I need to expand my horizons. I've only played about 3-4 games in the last couple years.

I can tell you right now I'm not a fan of first-person shooters. I like to be able to see the whole person (weird gaming requirement, I know, but whatever).

Favorite games/only games I've played recently:

Arkham Asyum
Infamous (1 and 2)
Uncharted

Um...and LittleBigPlanet.
Old August 25 2011, 03:45 AM   #1352
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

You might enjoy the Assassin's Creed games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 03:45 AM   #1353
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have thought about those. I've heard the first one is a lot different from the second one...?
Old August 25 2011, 04:27 AM   #1354
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I know the second one is supposed to be a huge improvement over the original, but I don't think the basic gameplay has changed. I haven't actually played the second one though, so I'm just going from hearsay.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 05:28 AM   #1355
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

The first one is horribly repetitious, I guess I'd say suffer through it just for the sake of the establishing story, but the second one is excellent. Pretty much Grand Theft Auto: Renaissance the way the game/missions are structured, and WAAAAY more variety of stuff to do than the first one. And while Brotherhood isn't quite as good storywise, it brings a number of swell new gameplay elements, and the multiplayer part of it is quite fun as well.
Old August 25 2011, 06:19 AM   #1356
BigFoot
Admiral

@RoJoHen

You definitely need to get Uncharted 2 ASAP.

You should also get Assassin's Creed 2 and if you like it AC: Brotherhood. The first AC game is fairly decent, but can also be quite tedious. So it's up to you if you get it or not. If you don't, I'd suggest you read a recap online or something like that (maybe watch a few YouTube videos).

One of my favourite (PS3) games ever is also Valkyria Chronicles. It's this interesting mix of strategy, FRP, and third person shooter. I can see how some people wouldn't like it, so you could always download the demo or read a few reviews before buying it.

The Ratchet & Clank games are also a lot of fun. As an alternative, you could also get the Sly Cooper collection (three games for the price of one). Oh and Just Cause 2 is also a VERY entertaining game.

If you like unrealistic racing games, you should get one of the Motorstorm games. Then you have the well known games like Gran Turismo 5, NHL11, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, all the Call of Duty games...

One game I also REALLY enjoyed was the 2008 Prince of Persia. Oh and Mass Effect 2, just like Uncharted 2 I really think every PS3 (and PC/360) owner should play ME2.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2011, 10:48 PM   #1357
RoJoHen
Awesome

Welp, went out on my lunch break today and picked up Uncharted 2. Goodbye, weekend.

My favorite part of the first one was that there weren't any bosses. I get tired of bosses. It's hard to make a good boss that isn't incredibly repetitive.
Old August 26 2011, 11:13 PM   #1358
Skywalker
Admiral

Excellent.

I hope you enjoy it!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2011, 11:17 PM   #1359
Adagio
Captain

I was able to find Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger for 6 bucks. I've been playing that for a couple days. Not a bad game at all.
Old August 27 2011, 12:27 AM   #1360
RoJoHen
Awesome

Nobody told me that Claudia Black was in this game!

Now all I can think about is how awesome a Farscape game like this would be.
Old August 27 2011, 01:23 AM   #1361
Servo
Rear Admiral

Had a productive few days gaming. Managed to finally find the time to get back on Motorstorm Apocalypse online long enough to reach rank 40, which got me the final trophy I needed to platinum the game.
Also managed to kill George Romero, rescue the original characters and get a couple of other Call of the Dead achievements on Solo zombies mode on Black Ops.

Insomniac just added a new gun and some new abilities to the Resistance 3 beta, so I'll probably spend a bit of time on that over the weekend.
Old August 27 2011, 02:38 AM   #1362
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I've been playing through inFamous and inFamous 2, first on evil and now Hard Mode good. I got the platinum trophy for the first game, now I'm getting ready to fight the Beast on inFamous 2 to get the hard mode trophy, good ending trophy and Platinum trophy.
Old August 27 2011, 08:48 AM   #1363
BigFoot
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Welp, went out on my lunch break today and picked up Uncharted 2. Goodbye, weekend.

My favorite part of the first one was that there weren't any bosses. I get tired of bosses. It's hard to make a good boss that isn't incredibly repetitive.
Have fun.

Servo wrote: View Post
Had a productive few days gaming. Managed to finally find the time to get back on Motorstorm Apocalypse online long enough to reach rank 40, which got me the final trophy I needed to platinum the game.
Also managed to kill George Romero, rescue the original characters and get a couple of other Call of the Dead achievements on Solo zombies mode on Black Ops.

Insomniac just added a new gun and some new abilities to the Resistance 3 beta, so I'll probably spend a bit of time on that over the weekend.
I got the MS: Apocalpyse plat a while back... man getting to rank 40 sure was a grind.

I'm still deciding whether to check out the R3 beta. I downloaded it already, but I'm not really a big FPS fan.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 02:36 PM   #1364
Servo
Rear Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
I got the MS: Apocalpyse plat a while back... man getting to rank 40 sure was a grind.
It wasn't so bad with the added chips from the downloadable events and weekly challenges. I just needed to sit down for a few hours and make that final push to get from 38 to 40.

I'm still deciding whether to check out the R3 beta. I downloaded it already, but I'm not really a big FPS fan.
The best time to try it would be now. With the new patches it's about as good as it's going to get before release, which is still pretty good, even if it does have a few flaws. It's definitely fun to play once you get into it, but it's nothing revolutionary, so if you're not a big FPS fan to start with, then it might not do much to change that. Still worth a bash though.
Old August 30 2011, 06:19 PM   #1365
Jax
Admiral

After a break LOTR online has dragged me back with the mines of moria expansion, huge place so much to do (Level 56 now)