Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2011, 06:47 PM   #2536
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The costume was originally designed to emulate the type worn by professional wrestlers of the time.
And circus performers. This is a good thing, how?
It's not a "good" thing but hardly a "bad" thing, either.

It's just that what Superman wears is not underwear. It's part of a unitard/costume that's common for people to wear in a few different -granted rare- situations.

I think the biggest problem I might see with this costume it has that heavy rubber look to it that super-hero costumes have had for the better part of the last 20 years or so. Would it be that bad if the costume was made out of some-sort-of cloth or fabric? I don't think the heaviness and shininess works well or looks good at all on film. And Superman, obviously, doesn't need the padding and protection from weapons.

The Spider-man costume from that series of movies probably did things the "best" in terms of costume design but I really don't think a simple spandex wrestler's/gymnast suit that's been well designed would look that bad.

As noted above, the suit Reeves wore in the '79 movie was probably the best. I think it still has some flaws, I'm not a fan of the shades of the colors uses or the size of the shield but overall I think it looks fine.

Also, I'd prefer no \S/ on the cape, personally. But I can go either way on that one.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 06:49 PM   #2537
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The trunks are not essential, but the purpose they serve (breaking up the sea of blue) is fairly essential from a design perspective imo. The reason "trunk-less Superman" looks stupid is they didn't adjust the rest of Superman's suit design to compensate for the loss of color.

The only 'color' in Superman's suit is the big S, which is at the top of his suit. This is different than say Spider-Man, whose entire top half is taken up by the red spidery design, which makes the bottom of the costume free to be blue. No trunks needed. The change from red-to-blue switch at the waist accomplishes the same effect naturally.

(for my money Spider-Man's costume is by far the best designed superhero suit of all time, I could go on and on about it for paragraphs and paragraphs but I won't. It looks fantastic onscreen as well as in the Raimi movies)

Superman doesn't really have the option of going "armor-like" which makes the homogeneous color look less stupid.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 06:59 PM   #2538
davejames
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Trunks are essential, and, yes, they look silly, but it suits a man who is all-boy scout and stands up for all that is good. Chris Reeves wasn't shy at all despite the costume as he found a way to dismiss any cynicism (something no one is able to do today) and inhabit the character.
Yeah, but it was also the 70s.

I certainly wouldn't have objected to seeing the trunks again, but I also think it's probably time to consider something a bit more modern for the character, and to move away from the circus strongman look of the 30s.

I mean, Wolverine often wore trunks in the comics as well, but can anyone seriously imagine Hugh Jackman running around with those in 2011, or in the kind of simple tights Reeve did? If he had to move forward with the times, maybe Superman should as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:02 PM   #2539
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
The trunks are not essential, but the purpose they serve (breaking up the sea of blue) is fairly essential from a design perspective imo. The reason "trunk-less Superman" looks stupid is they didn't adjust the rest of Superman's suit design to compensate for the loss of color.

The only 'color' in Superman's suit is the big S, which is at the top of his suit. This is different than say Spider-Man, whose entire top half is taken up by the red spidery design, which makes the bottom of the costume free to be blue. No trunks needed. The change from red-to-blue switch at the waist accomplishes the same effect naturally.

(for my money Spider-Man's costume is by far the best designed superhero suit of all time, I could go on and on about it for paragraphs and paragraphs but I won't. It looks fantastic onscreen as well as in the Raimi movies)

Superman doesn't really have the option of going "armor-like" which makes the homogeneous color look less stupid.
That's why I pointed out, earlier this morning, how a red or gold belt would have been a pretty smart move -- something to give a little contrast and a little break from the dark blue.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:02 PM   #2540
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the biggest problem I might see with this costume it has that heavy rubber look to it that super-hero costumes have had for the better part of the last 20 years or so.
Yeah it DOES look kind of heavy for some reason. It almost reminds me of the overly-padded Flash suit from the 90s.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:04 PM   #2541
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
How in God's name does a man wearing trunks equal "all-out boy scout" and standing up for all that is good?
Not a thing.

I assume the intended suggestion is that Supes wouldn't be concerned by looking silly because he's just a good guy who's not self-obsessed or trying to prove anything. Just doing the right thing is what matters.

None of which begins to explain why he'd choose the red trunks to begin with.

Or run around in tights and a red cape, for that matter.

Faora's outfit looks similar to Superman's other than the color. I guess the intention is to associate the way he dresses more directly with his Kryptonian background, another thing which the upcoming reboot is apparently going to do.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:05 PM   #2542
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The costume does have a belt in those pictures. It isn't very visible but there is one, and there appeared to be one in the original photo as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:05 PM   #2543
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think a design the incorporates red and blue together in a design would work good.

Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:06 PM   #2544
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The costume does have a belt in those pictures. It isn't very visible but there is one, and there appeared to be one in the original photo as well.
I see the belt, but it's almost the exact same shade of blue. There's nothing to break up the endless pattern of blue, which is my point (and, honestly, it's my only complaint with the suit and Cavill -- I love the look, otherwise).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:23 PM   #2545
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

I think very few superhero costumes survive the translation from page to screen without becoming some degree of ridiculous. Iron Man has probably worked best, because his costume is a technological battle suit, and the bright colors fit Tony's personality as depicted in the film. Cap's WWII suit is just this side of believable because they grounded it so thoroughly in something that looked like it might be a commando uniform of that era. The modern-day Avengers variant is less successful in that respect. Thor is...Thor. If you're buying that Asgard and it's inhabitants exist, then I guess they can wear whatever the hell they want, however chuckle-worthy.

Superman and Batman and Spidey are just silly in person. Why does Batman have a cape? I know, he uses it as a glider occasionally, but isn't it a hindrance most of the time? Doesn't the cowl obstruct his hearing and peripheral vision? Doesn't it get hot? Don't the pointy ears reduce his head clearance in tight situations?

Supes is invulnerable and super-everything, so I guess wearing a cape won't hurt him, but then you wonder why he wears it at all. Are the cape and underpants and red booties some sort of Gaga-esque affectation?

Spidey's formfitting bodysuit makes some sense, but the color and design certainly works against stealth. Also, as was brought up elsewhere, the gloves and boots would seem to be an impediment to his sticktoititveness.
Old August 24 2011, 07:27 PM   #2546
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Dennis;5182596]
Timby wrote: View Post

Faora's outfit looks similar to Superman's other than the color. I guess the intention is to associate the way he dresses more directly with his Kryptonian background, another thing which the upcoming reboot is apparently going to do.
There's always been a bit of Kryptonian fashion-sense implied in Superman's outfit over the years. But it was more overt in Mark Waid's "Birthright" where Martha based Clark's outfit on the images found on the Kryptonian iPad found in the rocket. Waid also took it one step further and had little Kal-El wrapped in the national flag of Krypton, where the S-shield was the national symbol of hope rather than just the El family crest.

And all the Kandorians in "All-Star Superman" wore clothing similar to Superman's uniform. Jimmy even attempts to ape Kryptonian fashion by wearing blue trunks over his pants.
Old August 24 2011, 07:31 PM   #2547
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Back in the 50s and 60s Kryptonians wore colorful jackets and tights emblazoned with emblems of one kind or another - Jor-El's being a stylized sun. So yeah, the tradition does go back a ways.

I still miss the transparent plastic rings the Els and their countrymen wore instead of hats during the Wayne Boring days. I don't see why successive generations of artists haven't understood that these were absolutely essential to the Superman mythos.
Old August 24 2011, 07:36 PM   #2548
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Bruce uses his cape as an offensive weapon occasionally as well as a defensive aide, and his cowl is lined with high tech equipment that aides him in his war on crime.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:38 PM   #2549
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think that's a somewhat more plausible justification for the cowl than for the cape.
Old August 24 2011, 07:45 PM   #2550
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The Spider-man costume from that series of movies probably did things the "best" in terms of costume design.
The 70's Spider-Man outfit is better than anything seen on screen so far. Screw aesthetics, if we're looking for 'realism' in our superhero movies the Spidey outfit absolutely needs to look as though it was put together by some nerd in his bedroom.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote