Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16 2011, 01:52 AM   #571
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Maybe the sequel will be about Hal being stripped of his powers and stranded on Earth for the entire movie, only to get them back in the last ten minutes. It will a have a budget of $15 million! $10 for Reynolds

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 01:56 AM   #572
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Maybe the sequel will be about Hal being stripped of his powers and stranded on Earth for the entire movie, only to get them back in the last ten minutes. It will a have a budget of $15 million! $10 for Reynolds
And he uses his powers to finish 'The Last Dangerous Visions'
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 08:34 AM   #573
Gaith
Rear Admiral

In fact, it'll just be him and an old friend at a restaurant. It'll be called Green Lantern 2: My Dinner with Hal.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 08:38 AM   #574
Dream
Admiral

Maybe the sequel will be about Hal being stripped of his powers and stranded on Earth for the entire movie, only to get them back in the last ten minutes.
They are going to steal the plot from Thor movie now? Lame.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 11:56 PM   #575
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So don't look now, if GL makes $200 million...then makes another $75-100 million in DVD-Bluray sales...the sequel could happen...

RAMA
Old August 20 2011, 12:02 AM   #576
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
In fact, it'll just be him and an old friend at a restaurant. It'll be called Green Lantern 2: My Dinner with Hal.
No no no, the whole movie will be his friend trying to open Jordan's garage door where he's holed up, and will be titled:

Open The Pod Bay Door, Hal
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2011, 05:11 PM   #577
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
So don't look now, if GL makes $200 million...then makes another $75-100 million in DVD-Bluray sales...the sequel could happen...

RAMA
It's odds of hitting $200m worldwide have increased. It now sits at $193m but these are still low numbers, domestic and worldwide for such a tentpole film.

Films that make $75-100m on DVD are the ones that were huge hits at the box office, which GL wasn't.

A sequel at this point would be believed when casting begins but I'm not looking for that announcement anytime soon or later down the calendar.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2011, 05:21 PM   #578
davejames
Vice Admiral

It's kind of a shame that it takes so much money to even make a GL film. A sequel would probably be a much stronger bet if there wasn't a ton of space stuff, aliens, flying effects, and constructs that had to be automatically factored in.

Even if you took out the CG suit, it would probably cost a ton to make.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2011, 08:34 PM   #579
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Just saw it recently. I liked it a lot, much better than what some of the reviews seemed to indicate it would be.
Old August 22 2011, 08:57 PM   #580
stonester1
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Makes all the sense in the world, for Sinestro.
Yeah to be honest I didn't find the Sinestro scene at the end to be nearly as jarring as others did. It WAS his idea to craft a yellow ring of power after all, and we DID see him butting heads with the Guardians earlier.

Besides, I didn't get the feeling this was him going "Aha! I'm going to be Evil now!!" The way I read the scene, and from his reaction, it was more him simply being curious about what this ring could do.... and then surprised as it takes him over the way it does.

Not to mention the fact this could have been 5 or 6 months in the future for all we know.
Using the power of the "enemy", I see Sinestro's motivations similarly to Boromir in LOTR. He honestly believes the weapon of the enemy can be harnessed for their efforts, and has an "ends justify the means" mentality. Both have good, sincere intentions, and character weaknesses prevent them from seeing the problems in their plans until it's too late.
Old August 22 2011, 09:02 PM   #581
C_Miller
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
Possibly. However, if I'm a studio executive, I'm not sure I would spend the money on such a sequel to a film with such a massive budget that took this long to regain the money. Especially one that was so poorly reviewed. Typically, comic book films are not your stupid action movies or your brainless comedies (Scary Movie and others) where quality doesn't factor in to it, especially in a Post-Dark Knight world. My fear would be that it was so poorly reviewed that the public isn't going to "trust" another Green Lantern movie. I mean, it wasn't universally reviled, but it was pretty damn close.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2011, 10:20 PM   #582
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Sadly, the failure had very little to do with the concept or the viability of the Green Lantern character for a franchise. It had most to with the fact that the movie just wasn't very good. Unfortunately, the studio will take the wrong message from this.
Old August 22 2011, 10:26 PM   #583
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well according to the superherohype forums, there's supposed to be an Extended Cut with an additional 14 minutes of footage, which'll take the movie up to a full 2 hours.

It'll probably just be more Hector and Hal/Carol stuff, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2011, 11:09 PM   #584
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm always perplexed by thoughts like these. An added 14 minutes won't fix the horrible CGI, the pathetic underplotting, or the complete lack of characterization.
Old August 22 2011, 11:16 PM   #585
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

what underplotting? and I thought cgi was pretty good for a lantern movie. saw it agin today at dollar theater.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote