New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 17 2011, 07:26 PM   #1216
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP
Re: Minecraft

Cutter John wrote: View Post
They'll always be Endermen to me!

Anyway, I'd like to nominate the legal team over at Bethesda games for the 'Douchebags of ther Month' award.

http://notch.tumblr.com/
And Notch's response: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...uit-Deathmatch
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2011, 08:23 PM   #1217
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

And more 1.8 news...RIVERS!

http://media.minecraftforum.net/cont.../08/rivers.jpg

SilentP wrote: View Post
I read that. Glad Mojang is giving the issue the seriousness it deserves.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2011, 10:41 PM   #1218
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I like the idea of rivers. Helps make the landscape feel more dynamic. With that, I hope comes water currents. Though maybe I'm asking for a bit much as that would mean an entire overhaul of how water works.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 03:38 AM   #1219
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I was going to say that rivers seem kind of weird because the oceans are so small, but then Notch tweeted that oceans would be deeper as well as this map of what the biomes should look like in 1.8.

My current plan is to make a tunnel in the Nether about 10 minutes long and exit into the main world with nothing but a bed once 1.8 is released. Who knows, I may never even bother returning to spawn.
Old August 19 2011, 12:19 PM   #1220
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

I was going to say that rivers seem kind of weird because the oceans are so small, but then Notch tweeted that oceans would be deeper as well as this map of what the biomes should look like in 1.8.
That's awesome, it always annoyed me how we didn't have any big oceans.

What would happen if I used a map editor to delete everything except a small area around my spawn for 1.8? Would the areas I'd already explored but deleted revert to how they were once I went back out, or would it all update with the new biomes/ruins etc?
Old August 19 2011, 02:01 PM   #1221
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Biome data isn't stored in chunks, but rather generated as a function of the level seed and coordinates. So, if you wipe out part of your existing map using an editor, new chunks should be generated using the new logic and, presumably, the new biome system.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 03:07 PM   #1222
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
And more 1.8 news...RIVERS!

http://media.minecraftforum.net/cont.../08/rivers.jpg

SilentP wrote: View Post
I read that. Glad Mojang is giving the issue the seriousness it deserves.
That's odd, because just yesterday I was really jonesing for some good old-fashioned Quake action. Maybe I'll be selected to be part of Mojang's team, in which case they're doomed. (I must be the only one who played that game for the single-player )
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 03:17 PM   #1223
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Notch has said that the adventure update isn't close to being complete yet so he's planning on splitting it into two releases with 1.8 being released next week. He also said that NPCs haven't been created yet (though NPC villiages are in), he only has some of the biomes coded into the new terrain generator, and XP doesn't have a use yet. Seems weird to release the update in that state, hopefully he'll have all the biome types coded in by next week.
Old August 27 2011, 04:20 PM   #1224
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Thats great news, since honestly I'm more interested in Endermen, rivers, giant mushrooms, etc, than I am the adventure aspects. If I wanted NPC's and levelling up I'd have bought an RPG.

Hopefully it'll reinvigorate the community.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old August 27 2011, 06:28 PM   #1225
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Does that mean new biomes or just a different way biomes will be generated due to new features?
Old August 27 2011, 07:56 PM   #1226
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The way they'll be generated has been changed substantially, which will affect new chunks. In addition, there is one new biome type (the one with giant mushrooms.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2011, 08:51 PM   #1227
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I think Notch said he had 6 biomes coded now, 7 if you include rivers. There's mountains, plains, forests, deserts, oceans and I presume the last biome is snow (although I couldn't see any snow biomes in the videos from PAX). Notch said that he wanted to add swamps and rainforests but he didn't say if he'd have time to add them to 1.8 or if they'd be added later.
Old August 27 2011, 10:51 PM   #1228
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Oh ok, that's awesome. I look forward to seeing the interesting landscapes that will be formed. Swamps would be interesting. Wonder if there'd be anything like alligators in them lol.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; August 27 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old August 28 2011, 12:27 AM   #1229
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Damn, next week? I'll only have a few days of mostly-unrestricted play until school starts back up again in my district. I volunteer to plant Enderman traps in and around the town for the zoo. Assuming they can't detect players through glass, because then we'd have a bunch of hostile block-stealing mobs in the middle of town
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2011, 12:38 AM   #1230
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Damn, next week? I'll only have a few days of mostly-unrestricted play until school starts back up again in my district. I volunteer to plant Enderman traps in and around the town for the zoo. Assuming they can't detect players through glass, because then we'd have a bunch of hostile block-stealing mobs in the middle of town
Only problem though, would they eventually burrow their way out of their cage?