RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,893
Posts: 5,330,257
Members: 24,555
Currently online: 551
Newest member: berlyn

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 12 2011, 04:37 AM   #451
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm surprised they didn't name Jones' character "Duffy", after Steve Rogers' more memorable Sgt. Carter-style drill sergeant in the comics.
While he wasn't referred to by name, Duffy did make an appearance during the running exercise when Steve caused the pole to fall.

Also, the use of Phillips makes more sense as Duffy was nothing more than comic relief and had nothing to do with Captain America or Project Rebirth. Plus, outside of the very random appearance, the character has been gone from the comics since the Golden Age. Phillips, on the other hand, has had much more of a presence and importance in Cap's comics that Duffy ever had.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 02:46 PM   #452
Chris3123
Vice Admiral
 
Chris3123's Avatar
 
Location: Pensacola, FL
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Dennis wrote: View Post
Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Not saying you're lying, but could you provide a source for that? Your link doesn't say anything about it not working.
And in fact it seems it worked just fine. LOLA, the folks who actually did the effects work and so should know more than the other folks involved have this to say about Deeny:

To achieve the virtual trickery, Paramount enlisted Lola Visual Effects. The Santa Monica, Calif.-based company had performed similar magic doubling Armie Hammer so he could play the Winklevoss twins in “The Social Network.”

“Leander is the unsung hero of this,” Edson Williams, visual effects supervisor for Lola, told TheWrap. “He was very dedicated and he was very aware of mimicking Chris’ timing. He wasn’t trying to get his performance out there. It’s his biggest credit and it’s a role where you never see his face.”

Lola employed three main techniques to make the all-American Evans appear weak and spindly, a combination of digitally shrinking or scaling down Evans, body doubles (that’s where Deeny came in), and grafting a digital file of Evans’ facial performance onto Deeny’s frame.

To attach Evans' head to Deeny’s body, the filmmakers would first shoot Evans in a scene. Then they would have Deeny watch what Evans had done on video playback, so he could mimic his movements precisely. Lastly they would film a clean plate, this is a pass devoid of principal actors that allows the background to be replaced behind the shrunken Evans.

Capturing the Evans’ expressions by grafting his face to Deeny’s body presented some challenges, namely that the necks of actor and his double were dramatically different. That necessitated having Lola digitally graft or project footage of Evans’ face below the Adam’s Apple onto Deeny’s frame. Had they tried to match the actors at different anatomical points, say below the chin, the differences would have been too pronounced for the trick to have worked.

“The heady replacements were tricky, because you were taking the head of a rhinoceros and putting it on the body of a gazelle,” Williams said. “The difference in muscles, in connective tissue was so vast, that it was very difficult to make the necks match up.”
If you watch the movie more than once you notice the many instances in which nothing more than body doubling was likely used.
Yeah, that's the article I quoted and linked to earlier in the thread. Thanks anyway.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 03:01 PM   #453
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

timothy wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
timothy wrote: View Post
saw it agin today for a second time and I love this movie so much. question, the sceen where the red skull was posing for a paint and the scientist came asked him a question. the music during that scene was'nt it the same music from the movie excalibur?
Pretty sure the music during the portrait scene is from Wagner, I believe it is Siegfried's Funeral March but I'd need to see the movie again to be sure. It is also used in Excalibur, my favorite music piece in Excalibur was using Karl Orff's Carmina Burana when Arthur and the knights are riding out of Camelot for the last battle.

cool thanks I love that sound track. DO you think they'll use it conan?
I suppose it's possible Wagner would be right at home doing Hollywood style bombastic soundtracks.
The Funeral March by Wagner


and Carmina Burana 'O Fortuna' by Orff
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 03:07 PM   #454
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Thanks anyway.
You're welcome - anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 07:47 PM   #455
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Dennis wrote: View Post
Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Not saying you're lying, but could you provide a source for that? Your link doesn't say anything about it not working.
And in fact it seems it worked just fine. LOLA, the folks who actually did the effects work and so should know more than the other folks involved have this to say about Deeny:

To achieve the virtual trickery, Paramount enlisted Lola Visual Effects. The Santa Monica, Calif.-based company had performed similar magic doubling Armie Hammer so he could play the Winklevoss twins in “The Social Network.”

“Leander is the unsung hero of this,” Edson Williams, visual effects supervisor for Lola, told TheWrap. “He was very dedicated and he was very aware of mimicking Chris’ timing. He wasn’t trying to get his performance out there. It’s his biggest credit and it’s a role where you never see his face.”

Lola employed three main techniques to make the all-American Evans appear weak and spindly, a combination of digitally shrinking or scaling down Evans, body doubles (that’s where Deeny came in), and grafting a digital file of Evans’ facial performance onto Deeny’s frame.

To attach Evans' head to Deeny’s body, the filmmakers would first shoot Evans in a scene. Then they would have Deeny watch what Evans had done on video playback, so he could mimic his movements precisely. Lastly they would film a clean plate, this is a pass devoid of principal actors that allows the background to be replaced behind the shrunken Evans.

Capturing the Evans’ expressions by grafting his face to Deeny’s body presented some challenges, namely that the necks of actor and his double were dramatically different. That necessitated having Lola digitally graft or project footage of Evans’ face below the Adam’s Apple onto Deeny’s frame. Had they tried to match the actors at different anatomical points, say below the chin, the differences would have been too pronounced for the trick to have worked.

“The heady replacements were tricky, because you were taking the head of a rhinoceros and putting it on the body of a gazelle,” Williams said. “The difference in muscles, in connective tissue was so vast, that it was very difficult to make the necks match up.”
If you watch the movie more than once you notice the many instances in which nothing more than body doubling was likely used.
I have a feeling in a lot of the scenes where you don't see skinny Steve's face, it was probably the body double.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 07:57 PM   #456
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

JD wrote: View Post
I have a feeling in a lot of the scenes where you don't see skinny Steve's face, it was probably the body double.
Yeah, that's a safe bet.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 09:25 PM   #457
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Plus, outside of the very random appearance, the character has been gone from the comics since the Golden Age.
Not true. He was a regular in the WWII-era Cap adventures that ran for a spell in Tales of Suspense in the '60s, which is how I knew of him in the first place. Are you telling me that this Phillips turns up all the time now? Wasn't the case back in the day, but I haven't actively followed new comics for well over a decade. In my reading experience, Phillips = origin retelling character, Duffy = regular supporting cast member in WWII-era adventures.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 01:50 AM   #458
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

I thought this was great and voted A+.

Evans - who would not have been my first choice - played a blinder and just nailed this part so well. He totally got the compasssion, humanity, decency and courage of the character. He will be Cap for years, just like Reeve was Superman.

Johnston proved his ability with period movies and showed that The Rocketeer wasn't a one-off. This was a 40s cliffhanger to the Nth degree. Would it be too much to hope that every future period superhero movie - Phantom, The Shadow etc - was directed by him?

Not a cast member put a foot or line wrong. From Tommy Lee Jones, to Hayley Attwell, to Toby Jones. And all in between. It's worth pointing out that I recently sawLJ in No Country For Old Men, Toby in Frost/ Nixon, etc. These are heavyweight actors, putting as much into this movie as into any Oscar-botherer.

It just had a great feel-good, righteous feel to it that left you wanting more. A perfect cross between the best of recent superhero movies, cliffhangers and the likes of Where Eagles Dare. Ignore those who say there have been too many superhero movies this year. While I sadly missed Green Lantern in the cinema, I've seen all the rest. I thought Thor set the bar high, but X--Men and this movie passed it. I can't say which was better - CA is too fresh in my mind to be objective - but being second placed is no disgrace.

Roll on Avengers.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 03:41 PM   #459
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

I saw this for the third time yesterday afternoon and it continues to hold up.
I must say that I think I experienced my first showing of a movie where the projectionist left on a 3-D lens filter that I've read about. The entire film felt dark, it was not as bright as my other two showings.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 02:52 AM   #460
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Plus, outside of the very random appearance, the character has been gone from the comics since the Golden Age.
Not true. He was a regular in the WWII-era Cap adventures that ran for a spell in Tales of Suspense in the '60s, which is how I knew of him in the first place. Are you telling me that this Phillips turns up all the time now? Wasn't the case back in the day, but I haven't actively followed new comics for well over a decade. In my reading experience, Phillips = origin retelling character, Duffy = regular supporting cast member in WWII-era adventures.
Yes. Over the past twenty or so years since I've been reading, when they do flashbacks to the WWII era or have WWII era adventures, Phillips is usually involved as Cap's direct superior. Duffy, not so much.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 02:40 AM   #461
Saxman1
Commodore
 
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

I saw the movie today. I gave it a C. I'm not big on the Marvel Universe films outside of Ironman 1 and 2, which I thought were amazing, but a lot of that I chalk up to Robert Downey, Jr. However, it was nice to see Samuel L. Jackson at the end as Nick Fury: he's awesome!
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 03:47 AM   #462
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

A friend of mine went to see the movie on Wednesday and, knowing where his and my tastes are similar, I suggested that he'd be happier with the movie if he just left after the kids playing Captain America in the streets.

To my surprise, he told me the next day that he'd done just that. So I told him what he'd missed, and he agreed that it had been a good call, for him.

He's too young to have read Captain America in his original appearances, but was just past the age when most kids stopped reading comics - in those days - when Marvel started to build their little empire. So he's got no investment in Avengers, Justice League, Nick Fury - or Green Lantern, Flash, etc. He just likes movies a great deal.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:44 AM   #463
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Broccoli wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Plus, outside of the very random appearance, the character has been gone from the comics since the Golden Age.
Not true. He was a regular in the WWII-era Cap adventures that ran for a spell in Tales of Suspense in the '60s, which is how I knew of him in the first place. Are you telling me that this Phillips turns up all the time now? Wasn't the case back in the day, but I haven't actively followed new comics for well over a decade. In my reading experience, Phillips = origin retelling character, Duffy = regular supporting cast member in WWII-era adventures.
Yes. Over the past twenty or so years since I've been reading, when they do flashbacks to the WWII era or have WWII era adventures, Phillips is usually involved as Cap's direct superior. Duffy, not so much.
Not sure how complete or up to date this info is, but from what I can tell Philiips mostly appears in the Origin story. Chester Phillips.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 11:36 PM   #464
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

By far the freshest part of the movie was the dance number. I don't think I want any WWI sequels.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 11:42 PM   #465
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

A WWI sequel, now there's an intriguing idea! Maybe they can start working their way backwards via time travel.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avengers, captain america, marvel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.