Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 12 2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: "The Walking Dead" Season 2 Updates

If they follow the storyline of the comic, shooting half the time insides shouldn't be that big of a deal anyway imo. I would guess the actors' salary is the bigger obstacle to keep the costs down.
Old August 12 2011, 04:09 PM   #32
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It will, however, take some time to reach those points in the story. The next "main" location in season two isn't going to be of much use for such a purpose.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 10:56 PM   #33
Snaploud
Admiral

The creator of Sons of Anarchy weighs-in:

"why darabont got fired - weiner. he held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, shit rolled down hill onto gilligan and frank," he tweeted Thursday, the first in a series of missives. He immediately followed up, writing, "no one else wants to f*cking say it, but the greed of mad men is killing the other two best shows on tv -- breaking bad and walking dead."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_925201.html
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 11:23 PM   #34
Dream
Admiral

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...king_dead.html

AMC had to slash its budgets after Mad Men showrunner Matthew Weiner renegotiated his lucrative deal with the network. "Why Darabont got fired -- Weiner," tweeted Sutter. "He held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, shit rolled down hill onto [Breaking Bad creator Vince] Gilligan and Frank. No one else wants to fucking say it, but the greed of Mad Men is killing the other two best shows on TV -- Breaking Bad and Walking Dead."
Fucking Mad Men ruins everything!

Looks like the next season of The Walking Dead is going to be trainwreck. You would think they would take care their show with the biggest ratings, but no. AMC fired the original show runner and cheaped out, something that doesn't happen to MOST shows until around season five. The half the show taking place indoors idea is so fucking lame.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 11:38 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Good thing I already think of Mad Men as an overrated bore-fest then.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 12:20 AM   #36
scnj
Captain

Given that Walking Dead pulls in three times the ratings of Mad Men, you'd think AMC would have told them where to shove it.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 12:56 AM   #37
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

But Mad Men has been pulling in the Emmy's and many other awards.

Somehow AMC must be figuring that some ratings points are worth more than others.
Old August 15 2011, 01:21 AM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
Given that Walking Dead pulls in three times the ratings of Mad Men, you'd think AMC would have told them where to shove it.
Or The Walking Dead can tell AMC where to shove it. I could see it doing very well elsewhere on basic or premium cable (but not SyFy!)

Conversely, who would put up with Mad Men? It wouldn't pull decent ratings anywhere but Showtime or HBO, and they have their own prestige productions underway. AMC should have played harder ball.
Old August 15 2011, 01:35 AM   #39
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Or The Walking Dead can tell AMC where to shove it.
Unfortunately, they can't. AMC completely owns TWD, which isn't the case with Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

I wouldn't blame Mad Men for this mess. (And not only because MM is my favourite show on television) AMC' management clearly made a bunch of very bad decisions. And even after the budget cuts, they didn't have to fire Darabont.
Old August 15 2011, 03:37 AM   #40
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

the fault is with AMC for caving in to Mad Men's guys. Are we really blaming them for basically asking for, and getting a ludicrously high salary? It's up to AMC to say "No".
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:27 AM   #41
Snaploud
Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
the fault is with AMC for caving in to Mad Men's guys. Are we really blaming them for basically asking for, and getting a ludicrously high salary? It's up to AMC to say "No".
My guess is that it would have led Mad Men to ending up on another station. I'm not sure they had any good choices.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 03:14 PM   #42
scnj
Captain

Snaploud wrote: View Post
My guess is that it would have led Mad Men to ending up on another station. I'm not sure they had any good choices.
That may be so, but then they could have taken that leftover money and put it into Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Hell On Wheels. Given the ratings, will any other network pick up Mad Men? AMC should have played harder ball.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:41 PM   #43
JWD75
Commander

[QUOTE=Snaploud;5162049]The creator of Sons of Anarchy weighs-in:

"why darabont got fired - weiner. he held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, shit rolled down hill onto gilligan and frank," he tweeted Thursday, the first in a series of missives. He immediately followed up, writing, "no one else wants to f*cking say it, but the greed of mad men is killing the other two best shows on tv -- breaking bad and walking dead."
I've got a bad feeling about this. I just hope that the loss of Darabont isn't a crippling blow to the quality of the show.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 10:59 PM   #44
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Mad Men doesn't get high ratings. Its value is just in Emmys prestige. But the likely places where Mad Men could end up - HBO and Showtime - are the least likely to need help in that department.

I think AMC could have driven a harder bargain.
Old August 15 2011, 11:16 PM   #45
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

As of last year, Mad Men was pulling in approximately 6 million viewings when adding together all airings, DVR, and VOD.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote