RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,403
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 570
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 15 2011, 05:40 PM   #3826
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Sounds like last season for all of us already.

Great story about Juve inviting Notts County to be the club to open up their new stadium. I had no idea of the historical link between the two clubs. It's really nice to see things like this still being recognised these days, given how big the clubs get and how business-like the sport has become. Well done Juve, and I bet County will bust a gut to attend!
Old August 15 2011, 05:42 PM   #3827
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

ManU has the hots for Mario Goetze, apparently. Can't say I blame them.

The awesome thing is, he's from my hometown, a small town in Bavaria (population less than 50k).
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 09:24 AM   #3828
Starkers
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Sounds like last season for all of us already.

Great story about Juve inviting Notts County to be the club to open up their new stadium. I had no idea of the historical link between the two clubs. It's really nice to see things like this still being recognised these days, given how big the clubs get and how business-like the sport has become. Well done Juve, and I bet County will bust a gut to attend!
Yeah that is really good isn't it.

So, welcome to the Prem Swansea!

Is is wrong of me that I really feel this might be the year Derby's record gets broken!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 12:58 PM   #3829
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ I certainly hope so

If I'm honest though, I think it's more likely to be broken by QPR than Swansea. Swansea will pass some teams to death and win some vital games at home.
Old August 16 2011, 01:58 PM   #3830
Starkers
Admiral

I don't get QPR, they have money but seem reluctant to spend it. They seem to be setting Warnock up to fail?

Old August 16 2011, 02:30 PM   #3831
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Apparently they're trying to sell up. It is strange, I don't think they've actually spent any money, all their transfers have been free agents.
trekkiebaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 02:34 PM   #3832
Starkers
Admiral

Even so they must have spent a packet on wages. It's weird that the moment they get promoted they sell, although maybe that was the plan all along; buy champsionship club, sell premier league club.

Old August 16 2011, 02:52 PM   #3833
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

They pretty much said the same thing about QPR on 606 at the weekend. They've spent to get there, and now they're where they want to be, they spend nothing.

Tony Fernandes on the verge of taking control apparently, within the next 24 hours according to the BBC.

Can't see Swansea beating our record. QPR might if they still spend no money, but I doubt it. Can't see that record being beaten without some serious points deduction taking place.
Old August 16 2011, 03:43 PM   #3834
Starkers
Admiral

I think it might come down to confidence. That was Derby's problem in many ways, the longer you go without winning the harder it is to get a win. In recent years promoted teams have generally got off to an impressive start. Been a while since I remember one (let alone two) of them getting hammered in their opening game.

Old August 18 2011, 10:38 AM   #3835
Starkers
Admiral

Well best start to a season since 1948! Ok, only three wins but still nice to have 9 points on the board at this time of the year, and the fact that we've done it with a lot of players out injured gives me a bit of hope. I doubt we have the quality and strength in depth to go all the way, but that said momentum's a funny thing.

Doncaster saturday wll be the big test, we've won three, they've lost three...this might not end well!

Nice to see Leicester are learning that buying every player you can lay your hands on doesn't neccesarily lead to success, and I'm amused that Maynard put two past em last night!

Old August 18 2011, 11:51 AM   #3836
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ At least Billy Sharp won't be playing, he always scores against us at home.

Fantastic win last night, and a very good performance. Hendrick and O'Brien were brilliant. Barker's going to struggle to get back into the side at this rate!
Old August 18 2011, 01:47 PM   #3837
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I can report first-hand knowledge that Brighton are excellent. Seriously good side.
Old August 18 2011, 01:59 PM   #3838
Starkers
Admiral

My best friend's a Brighton fan so I always keep an eye on them. I'm kicking myself now as I planned to put a few bob on them pre season, I suspected they'd do well. So was it more a case of Brighton were good rather than Cardiff were bad?

Angel4576, I suspect Barker will be back sooner or later, plenty of youngsters start the season well but don't have the stamnia or experience to keep it up. I can see Clough dropping him before he burns out. Of course I could be wrong. It'd be nice to have options at the back at least, and nice to see youngsters coming through. I hope Ball gets his chance soon.

Old August 18 2011, 03:01 PM   #3839
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yes I suspect that you're right. OB's had some great development so far, and he'll get another couple of games before the international break. Can't remember how long Barker's supposed to be out for still, but would imagine he'll be back in the not too distant future now. Good thing is, we don't need to rush him now with OB's new-found prominence.

Brighton and Southampton both looking very good.

Coventry and Watford for the drop, and then any one from Barnsley, Donnie and Peterborough.
Old August 18 2011, 03:28 PM   #3840
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah and it's great o see O'Brien do so well after all the health problems he had.