RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,162
Posts: 5,402,471
Members: 24,751
Currently online: 619
Newest member: kaklina

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 14 2011, 02:22 PM   #481
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Whats happening September 28th?
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 03:54 PM   #482
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

24th anniversary of the TNG premiere/start of TNG 25th year.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 10:30 PM   #483
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
To be perfectly honest, though, I would even have been happy without any restored FX, if we could have just gotten the live action material digitally restored to the level of TOS-R, that would have been enough for me to shell out for the set
You're forgetting one important detail Bonzo. The live action segments of the show can also contain special effect elements. Everything from phaser fire, explosions, energy beams, holodeck transitions, even computer terminals all had to go through the standard definition video editing process in order to incorporate those effects. The only footage that would be in high definition would be the shots that have no special effects of any kind. Can you imagine how choppy and distracting the show would look if in one shot the scene is in high definition with no visuals, and the next shot is in standard definition simply because a phaser blast shot right passed the characters?

You might as well present every Q episode in standard definition if you're going to have leave his teleporting trick intact, because they usually occur after a long segment of dialogue.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 02:05 AM   #484
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Dac wrote: View Post
Whats happening September 28th?
It premiered the week of September 28, 1987 to 27 million viewers[1] with the two-hour pilot "Encounter at Farpoint". With 178 episodes spread over seven seasons, it ran longer than any other Star Trek series, ending with the two-hour finale "All Good Things..." the week of May 23, 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...ext_Generation
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:07 AM   #485
Destructor
Commodore
 
Destructor's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
To be perfectly honest, though, I would even have been happy without any restored FX, if we could have just gotten the live action material digitally restored to the level of TOS-R, that would have been enough for me to shell out for the set
You're forgetting one important detail Bonzo. The live action segments of the show can also contain special effect elements. Everything from phaser fire, explosions, energy beams, holodeck transitions, even computer terminals all had to go through the standard definition video editing process in order to incorporate those effects. The only footage that would be in high definition would be the shots that have no special effects of any kind. Can you imagine how choppy and distracting the show would look if in one shot the scene is in high definition with no visuals, and the next shot is in standard definition simply because a phaser blast shot right passed the characters?

You might as well present every Q episode in standard definition if you're going to have leave his teleporting trick intact, because they usually occur after a long segment of dialogue.
Bizarrely enough, I was watching 'Friends' the other day and this very thing occured! They've clearly remastered the original footage for HD/widescreen, but not been able to redo the special effects. So when Pheobe visited Ursula (her twin, played by the same actor via split screen), every time they were both in shot the image quality plummeted severely, partially because of the jump to SD, but also because they ZOOMED IN on the footage in order to make it widescreen! Unbelievably distracting. And this is a show with money to burn, you'd think they'd have been able to recomposite the footage!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:26 AM   #486
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

God has it really been 25 years?

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 10:25 AM   #487
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

They should announce on the 24th anniverary with the intention of airing from the 25th.
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 06:08 PM   #488
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Destructor wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
To be perfectly honest, though, I would even have been happy without any restored FX, if we could have just gotten the live action material digitally restored to the level of TOS-R, that would have been enough for me to shell out for the set
You're forgetting one important detail Bonzo. The live action segments of the show can also contain special effect elements. Everything from phaser fire, explosions, energy beams, holodeck transitions, even computer terminals all had to go through the standard definition video editing process in order to incorporate those effects. The only footage that would be in high definition would be the shots that have no special effects of any kind. Can you imagine how choppy and distracting the show would look if in one shot the scene is in high definition with no visuals, and the next shot is in standard definition simply because a phaser blast shot right passed the characters?

You might as well present every Q episode in standard definition if you're going to have leave his teleporting trick intact, because they usually occur after a long segment of dialogue.
Bizarrely enough, I was watching 'Friends' the other day and this very thing occured! They've clearly remastered the original footage for HD/widescreen, but not been able to redo the special effects. So when Pheobe visited Ursula (her twin, played by the same actor via split screen), every time they were both in shot the image quality plummeted severely, partially because of the jump to SD, but also because they ZOOMED IN on the footage in order to make it widescreen! Unbelievably distracting. And this is a show with money to burn, you'd think they'd have been able to recomposite the footage!
I have a feeling (of dread) that Paramount will try some form of upscale on TNG and the result will be the biggest pile of crap in the history of HD. I just don't see them spending huge amounts of money on it, I bet its 3x TOS-R.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 06:26 PM   #489
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Flake wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post

You're forgetting one important detail Bonzo. The live action segments of the show can also contain special effect elements. Everything from phaser fire, explosions, energy beams, holodeck transitions, even computer terminals all had to go through the standard definition video editing process in order to incorporate those effects. The only footage that would be in high definition would be the shots that have no special effects of any kind. Can you imagine how choppy and distracting the show would look if in one shot the scene is in high definition with no visuals, and the next shot is in standard definition simply because a phaser blast shot right passed the characters?

You might as well present every Q episode in standard definition if you're going to have leave his teleporting trick intact, because they usually occur after a long segment of dialogue.
Bizarrely enough, I was watching 'Friends' the other day and this very thing occured! They've clearly remastered the original footage for HD/widescreen, but not been able to redo the special effects. So when Pheobe visited Ursula (her twin, played by the same actor via split screen), every time they were both in shot the image quality plummeted severely, partially because of the jump to SD, but also because they ZOOMED IN on the footage in order to make it widescreen! Unbelievably distracting. And this is a show with money to burn, you'd think they'd have been able to recomposite the footage!
I have a feeling (of dread) that Paramount will try some form of upscale on TNG and the result will be the biggest pile of crap in the history of HD. I just don't see them spending huge amounts of money on it, I bet its 3x TOS-R.
At least that way everyone will be unhappy with it and we're all united again.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 10:38 PM   #490
Angel4576
Rear Admiral
 
Angel4576's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

The upscaled DS9 episode on the TOS BDs was absolutely awful, worse than the SD version of the episode. Hope they've learn't via that that upscales are off the table.
__________________
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One.
Angel4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 01:10 AM   #491
Jefferies
Captain
 
Jefferies's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

In my opinion that makes little sense. They could not market upscaling as HD content successfully. In fact that would border on fraud. No one would want to buy it or watch it as it would be no improvement over SD. If they want to continue to generate income from the old shows they will have to remaster them all eventually or let them fade into obscurity. And that would be a great mistake as many people, not just Trekkies by the way, still love watching these shows.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 07:52 PM   #492
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
I'd be careful about making sweeping generalization about what people 'want'. It's obvious there are plenty of people on both sides of the issue here, from the twin extremes of spending gobs of money to restore every repetitive stock shot used on the series to those that want to spend gobs of money on some crazy fool cinematic CGI effort.
I think it would be a lot cheaper for them to restore the stock shots on film (how many are there? A under the saucer flyby, a wide shot from above, a 3/4 shot used for every orbit, a warp pass by played at different speeds, and a couple of others, not that many actually) and add the background stuff, which is mostly planets, nebulas or suns, digitally. If they go TOS-R an do new shots for everything, that would be more expensive, wouldn't it. And the CG model really would never look as good as the original model. The TOS-R Enterprise looks like c-c-c-c-c-crap.
I'd actually love to see remastered footage of the 6-footer, but I also wouldn't be averse to seeing CGI when it is appropriate. For instance, maybe we'll finally get to see just how much bigger the Romulan Warbird is compared to the Enterprise.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 07:54 PM   #493
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I gotta say, I got this sick feeling that this is all going to end up being upscaled footage as opposed to scanned negatives.

Or it could be that pizza playing tricks with my stomach.....
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 07:58 PM   #494
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

An up-scaled release on Blu-Ray? That would be a P.R. disaster for CBS. It won't happen.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2011, 07:59 PM   #495
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Dac wrote: View Post
I gotta say, I got this sick feeling that this is all going to end up being upscaled footage as opposed to scanned negatives.

Or it could be that pizza playing tricks with my stomach.....
I'd go with the latter. I don't think the guys in charge are stupid enough to try and get away with something like that. You'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to notice the difference.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered, tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.