RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 705
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 13 2011, 08:05 PM   #511
JES
Captain

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Speaking of the Transhuman Authority, I've been wondering what the story is behind them. By the sound of their government, or faction (?), it sounds like their origin has something to do with the human race, either with the expressed purpose of opposing the human race, the United Worlds, or both, or so those who founded the Transhuman Authority could do their own thing, what ever that happened to be, whether Earth or the United Worlds liked it or not. Or does the story revolve around the legend of 12 other human colonies (if you know about the story of the 13 Crystal Skulls, you'll be familiar with the legend), and the Transhuman Authority was formed before Earth had starflight capabilities, and now Earth and her colonies and allies are caught up in some conflict that started long ago?

Or would that reveal spoilers, and that is something that will be revealed in the movie?

I'm just curious, does the Transhuman Authorities' origin belong with Earth, or are they completely unrelated to the human race?
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 08:42 PM   #512
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^That all sounds a little too much like BSG to me.
Old August 13 2011, 09:26 PM   #513
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'll leave it to Dennis to explain who and what the Transhuman Authority is, if he chooses to do so. I will say that they do not predate known human history or come from some other lost tribe of humanity in the cosmos.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 10:18 PM   #514
BK613
Captain

Does she still do a Destination Moon tail-stand? If so, maybe turning the hull number so that it parallel to the ground might be interesting.
Old August 13 2011, 10:23 PM   #515
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I'll fall back for now on the couple of paragraphs that accompanied our casting announcement for Gaitanis, back in October 2009:

Humanity has not discovered an abundance of “new Earths” orbiting other stars - most worlds upon which human beings can live at all are barely habitable. The emigrants from Earth - not all of them voluntary pioneers - who’ve populated the mining worlds and marginal factory planets have adapted themselves through genetic surgery and technological enhancements to survive in places inimicable to life itself. Now a new cadre of leaders have arisen on these worlds, harnessing ages of resentment and rebellion to form the Transhuman Authority and launch a war of conquest against Earth and its United Worlds allies.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 11:11 PM   #516
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Relocated thrusters and a first pass at the windows:

I suspect the windows are going to wind up to be a love 'em or hate 'em type of thing. They don't show very well here because they're on the illuminated side of the ship, and I think they might look better if there were fewer of them. Gonna have to play with these a bit to get them right.
Old August 14 2011, 12:00 AM   #517
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I'd suggest only using them on the fuselage itself - almost all of our living space is there, and it makes a little visual cue that this is where the people are - even though there may be a few folks out in the cargo area as well.

I'm spending my day in LW Modeler, Coreldraw 9, Illustrator etc - and when I flip over to TrekBBS for a moment my hand thinks it should be able to zoom in on Vektor's drawings by spinning the mouse wheel.
Old August 14 2011, 12:53 AM   #518
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I thought the decks were oriented so that the top of everyone's heads are pointing towards the nose. Shouldn't the windows look more tall than wide in this view, or did I miss something?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 01:58 AM   #519
Albertese
Commodore

Think "Galaxy-class" windows, not Constitution-class" windows. They are taller than they are wide for the people standing on the decks. But , yeah, that threw me off for sec too.

Since this is originally a civvie ship after all, would you consider having a deck that contains an "observation gallery" sorta thing where there's a wide compartment with a whole bunch of windows in a row? That would help with a more obvious cue about the deck orientation...

--Alex
Old August 14 2011, 04:38 PM   #520
ZStar
Ensign

Thanks for the clarification, Vektor. I remembered the discussion about the over sized weapons. I didn't recall that the pylons were basically original equipment for the science vessel role. I don't blame you for being reluctant to cover your elegant design with armor plating.

I like the scattering of windows but I also like Albertese's idea of a bank of windows to better indicate the deck orientation. Unlike most sci fi ships this one will likely spend most of its screen time flying on its side relative to the deck orientation.
ZStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 05:21 PM   #521
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Vektor's work on this design has now been featured on the forum header at Scifi-Meshes.

Congratulations, Vektor and aridas!
Old August 15 2011, 11:51 PM   #522
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Very cool!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 04:06 AM   #523
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

It's a cool looking ship.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2011, 04:49 PM   #524
JES
Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
I'll fall back for now on the couple of paragraphs that accompanied our casting announcement for Gaitanis, back in October 2009:

Humanity has not discovered an abundance of “new Earths” orbiting other stars - most worlds upon which human beings can live at all are barely habitable. The emigrants from Earth - not all of them voluntary pioneers - who’ve populated the mining worlds and marginal factory planets have adapted themselves through genetic surgery and technological enhancements to survive in places inimicable to life itself. Now a new cadre of leaders have arisen on these worlds, harnessing ages of resentment and rebellion to form the Transhuman Authority and launch a war of conquest against Earth and its United Worlds allies.

You know, there is almost a sort of moral behind this. 'Take care of what you allow to be sown, otherwise it might come back to haunt you'

By allowing people to be "Shanghaied" to work as slaves, and allowing colonists to be taken advantage of by those who ran the colonies, the United Worlds allowed events to take place that would lead to war. They could have prevented the Transhuman Authority from coming into existence or growing so powerful if they had implemented better peacekeeping policies, better supported all colonies, and better enforced the rights of individuals.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2011, 07:43 PM   #525
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Another moral might be: Watch out for genetically engineered megalomaniacs who want to build evil empires and come back to conquer and rule their "inferior" progenitors.