TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 11 2011, 12:29 PM   #466
Art Vandelay
Captain

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
It's what I unlovingly call "The Fat Four-Footer".
That's what he said.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 06:26 PM   #467
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

possibly this weekend an announcement...

tomorrow in Las Vegas, Creation's big annual Star Trek convention opens to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Trek franchise. If CBS IS finally ready to official reveal the project to the world, that's the obvious place to do it if they want to get a buzz going in the geek/Trek community. It may or may not happen, but I would definitely keep your hailing frequencies open this weekend for any news that might break or leak out of Sin City. I'm sure our friends over at Trek Movie (who will be reporting from the Con) will be all over it if there's anything officially revealed.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

so....fingers crossed for an announcement by Saturday August 13!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 12:23 AM   #468
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: possibly this weekend an announcement...

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
tomorrow in Las Vegas, Creation's big annual Star Trek convention opens to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Trek franchise. If CBS IS finally ready to official reveal the project to the world, that's the obvious place to do it if they want to get a buzz going in the geek/Trek community. It may or may not happen, but I would definitely keep your hailing frequencies open this weekend for any news that might break or leak out of Sin City. I'm sure our friends over at Trek Movie (who will be reporting from the Con) will be all over it if there's anything officially revealed.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

so....fingers crossed for an announcement by Saturday August 13!

Ah good idea, this may be a good shot at an announcement. I know what will be on my holiday gift list!

RAMA
Old August 13 2011, 01:10 AM   #469
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: possibly this weekend an announcement...

Nothing yet? ANYONE at the con?
Old August 13 2011, 07:55 PM   #470
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

There's a panel at 1.25pm local time called "Star Trek: The Universe of Merchandising and Consumer Products Update"

If they're gonna announce it this weekend, my bet is that its gonna be there.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 09:03 PM   #471
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

It would seem like the perfect time/place to announce.

If there's no announcement then I doubt we'll get one anytime soon.

Either way, I'll be checking back for an update later.
Old August 13 2011, 09:41 PM   #472
Dac
Commodore

Ah. Trekmovie just tweeted they're not expecting TNG-R to be announced here.

Motherfucker.....

EDIT: Wow. They actually devoted an entire panel to random shit like Salt and pepper shakers and Sporks?!

Last edited by Dac; August 13 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old August 13 2011, 09:59 PM   #473
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Mark 2000 wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
Not enough for you maybe.
Most likely not enough for the majority of people watching, even some trekkies. I still can't spot the different between to the two while passively watching the way I can with the TOS models. I didn't even know there were two models until very recently and I saw TNG in the original run.
I'd be careful about making sweeping generalization about what people 'want'. It's obvious there are plenty of people on both sides of the issue here, from the twin extremes of spending gobs of money to restore every repetitive stock shot used on the series to those that want to spend gobs of money on some crazy fool cinematic CGI effort.

The truth is, most people will be happy with something in the middle, just as they were with TOS-R. Likely that's what we're going to get with TNG-R (with maybe a bit more polish given the larger timeframe, public scrutiny, and higher expectations than TOS-R), so I wouldn't hold your breath for a CGI-fest or lots of archived model footage restoration.

Besides, you may not have noticed or been irritated by the differing ship models used in TNG, but I noticed it as a kid, and it really irked me. Far more than I was at the CGI from TOS-R.

TL;DR version, YMMV
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 10:04 PM   #474
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

To be perfectly honest, though, I would even have been happy without any restored FX, if we could have just gotten the live action material digitally restored to the level of TOS-R, that would have been enough for me to shell out for the set, as it's the ass-quality of the video, not the FX that makes me cringe watching the series nowadays...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2011, 10:09 PM   #475
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Ah. Trekmovie just tweeted they're not expecting TNG-R to be announced here.

Motherfucker.....

EDIT: Wow. They actually devoted an entire panel to random shit like Salt and pepper shakers and Sporks?!
How disappointing. Oh well fingers crossed that it won't be too long in coming now.
Old August 13 2011, 10:40 PM   #476
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Wow. They actually devoted an entire panel to random shit like Salt and pepper shakers and Sporks?!
Fuck, man. Only reason I would even GO to a convention.

Spock sporks? PERFECT MERCHANDISING OPPORTUNITY.
Old August 13 2011, 10:41 PM   #477
Dac
Commodore

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Wow. They actually devoted an entire panel to random shit like Salt and pepper shakers and Sporks?!
Fuck, man. Only reason I would even GO to a convention.

Spock sporks? PERFECT MERCHANDISING OPPORTUNITY.
That have been available for about 2 years now. Hardly new.
Old August 13 2011, 11:25 PM   #478
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
I'd be careful about making sweeping generalization about what people 'want'. It's obvious there are plenty of people on both sides of the issue here, from the twin extremes of spending gobs of money to restore every repetitive stock shot used on the series to those that want to spend gobs of money on some crazy fool cinematic CGI effort.
I think it would be a lot cheaper for them to restore the stock shots on film (how many are there? A under the saucer flyby, a wide shot from above, a 3/4 shot used for every orbit, a warp pass by played at different speeds, and a couple of others, not that many actually) and add the background stuff, which is mostly planets, nebulas or suns, digitally. If they go TOS-R an do new shots for everything, that would be more expensive, wouldn't it. And the CG model really would never look as good as the original model. The TOS-R Enterprise looks like c-c-c-c-c-crap.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 12:11 AM   #479
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Probably easier in the long run to just use CGI, plus it offers "added value".
Old August 14 2011, 01:11 AM   #480
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Those losers!!!!!

I have a feeling its too early in the production to really tell how they're turning out....OR they are waiting for sept 28th!!!!!

RAMA