RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,711
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 805
Newest member: Robert james

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 10 2011, 07:57 PM   #76
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: A New Modern Trek Animated Series

CBS' approach to Star Trek is not my idea of active brand management. Sure, I guess some effort is being made in its direction, but there's no apparent strategy to it. If there's no strategy, it's not brand management. It's just picking the low-hanging fruit. To anyone who knows what brand management is, the difference will be obvious, even from the outside.

I see no strong business case for new Star Trek on TV, not anything that is stronger than what CBS could be doing instead. Doesn't mean it won't happen. Lots of stuff in Hollywood happens on the basis of personal connections rather than cold-blooded business considerations. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten Abrams' movie either. There are plenty of other movies he could have done, just as successfully.

I'd like to see an experiment done where CBS rebrands Star Trek Enterprise, to discover how many viewers that can get on one of its main flagships channels. You know, in Prime-time or close to - at an hour unprecidented for a 10 year old property.

Completely new opening title sequence, losing the middle of the road pop song - to give it a fighting chance.
Now that's a pretty good idea. The rebranding can simply be "see what Starfleet was up to before Kirk and Spock" (meaning Pine and Quinto of course, for the new generation of viewers.) A lot of the movie audience probably doesn't know ENT exists. I wasn't very happy with the series, but it's decent enough and a good test case.

But once again, this requires that CBS care enough about Star Trek to run a prime-time experiment, which is a radical idea. I can't envision some CBS honcho putting his/her neck on the chopping block by suggesting this idea at a meeting. They'd be smarter to just suggest another CSI spinoff instead.

So in fact, your idea requires a great deal of effort, for that CBS exec who is willing to risk a lucrative career to even suggest it. I don't see CBS as being a place where innovation and risk-taking are particularly prized.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2011, 09:19 PM   #77
Jetfire

In another thread in the SF/F forum CW Head Mark Pedowitz said this...

About 'Ringer' going from CBS to CW...
All this is on top of the highly anticipated return of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” queen Gellar in the network’s new thriller “Ringer,” inherited from CBS, which did not pick it up. And he said the show would not suffer “one bit” from the different budget of a smaller network.
So a Trek series on CW shouldn't suffer too much right?

Remakes and superhero shows...
But with a new president -- Pedowitz , a former ABC exec, replaced Dawn Ostroff earlier this year -- comes new possibilities. Pedowitz said he was a fan of remakes, citing “90210” as success, and said plans for a new superhero to charm audiences in a “Smallville”-less world was still to come. Ostroff had first hinted at last year’s TCA press tour that the network was looking to other DC superheroes to fill the void.

“We’re looking next year to do superheroes,” he said. “If the right superheroes comes to be.”
If they are looking into doing a superhero show...why not also look into doing a "remake" of Star Trek?

Original Article; http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...e-network.html
SF/F Thread; http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=146161&page=2
Old August 11 2011, 02:30 PM   #78
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'd like to see an experiment done where CBS rebrands Star Trek Enterprise, to discover how many viewers that can get on one of its main flagships channels. You know, in Prime-time or close to - at an hour unprecidented for a 10 year old property.

Completely new opening title sequence, losing the middle of the road pop song - to give it a fighting chance.
Now that's a pretty good idea. The rebranding can simply be "see what Starfleet was up to before Kirk and Spock" (meaning Pine and Quinto of course, for the new generation of viewers.) A lot of the movie audience probably doesn't know ENT exists. I wasn't very happy with the series, but it's decent enough and a good test case.

But once again, this requires that CBS care enough about Star Trek to run a prime-time experiment, which is a radical idea. I can't envision some CBS honcho putting his/her neck on the chopping block by suggesting this idea at a meeting. They'd be smarter to just suggest another CSI spinoff instead.

So in fact, your idea requires a great deal of effort, for that CBS exec who is willing to risk a lucrative career to even suggest it. I don't see CBS as being a place where innovation and risk-taking are particularly prized.
Cheers, Temis. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Maybe they'll think about it a few years time when the economic situation gets worse and filling gaps on TV with something other than CSI reruns, is smart. It's basically how TOS got started. Major stations getting a hold of a dead show, editing it to fit a timeslot, scheduling it in time for a new generation who were just getting home from school. Enterprise has an advantage already existing in HD and hardly anybody having seen it that way. Just needs tidying up around the edges (lose the theme song, rescoring some of the incidental music at most), rather than wait for a remastering project that takes years to do, from the ground up.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; August 11 2011 at 02:41 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 05:02 PM   #79
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post

Cheers, Temis. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Maybe they'll think about it a few years time when the economic situation gets worse and filling gaps on TV with something other than CSI reruns, is smart. It's basically how TOS got started. Major stations getting a hold of a dead show, editing it to fit a timeslot, scheduling it in time for a new generation who were just getting home from school. Enterprise has an advantage already existing in HD and hardly anybody having seen it that way. Just needs tidying up around the edges (lose the theme song, rescoring some of the incidental music at most), rather than wait for a remastering project that takes years to do, from the ground up.
I don't think you will ever see what you want for Enterprise. People don't go back and re-edit old shows like that unless it needs an HD remastering. And your edits risk a lot of backlash. Just see the arguments on the TNG-R thread about the 4ft vs 6ft model.

Also, what you're advocating for after school programming can already happen with ENT. It's not about a CBS executive putting his neck out there for a prime time rerun. ENT is being sold into syndication. Local stations can buy the show and slot it in at 3/4 before prime time network feeds start. That's not a CBS decision, it's a local programming chief needing to be convinced there are viewers interested in ENT over Doctor Phil, Judge Judy, or The Ellen Show.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 05:23 PM   #80
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Jetfire wrote: View Post
ICW Head Mark Pedowitz said this...
Remakes and superhero shows...
But with a new president -- Pedowitz , a former ABC exec, replaced Dawn Ostroff earlier this year -- comes new possibilities. Pedowitz said he was a fan of remakes,
So another words direct your letters to CW Head Mark Pedowitz for a request for a Star Trek TV series for mid-season January 2013 start.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 09:58 PM   #81
cbp44189
Commander

Possible nu Trek animated series coming...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a3...ed-series.html
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2011, 10:34 PM   #82
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

cbp44189 wrote: View Post
Possible nu Trek animated series coming...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a3...ed-series.html
Already discussed on page four of this thread. At this point, it's more of a "CBS, would you be interested in this?" kind of thing. So far, CBS hasn't called them back.
Old August 11 2011, 10:37 PM   #83
cbp44189
Commander

Sorry, didn't see it. I just saw the article today, and had to post. Day late dollar short I guess.
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2011, 09:08 PM   #84
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If they are looking into doing a superhero show...why not also look into doing a "remake" of Star Trek?
A superhero show can be shoehorned into the CW formula: main character is teenage female, has no adult supervision, has a power she can brood over angstily, will be in an a love triangle with two hot angsty guys, and faces female supervillain foes who are eternally scheming superbitches who have no motivation other than being superbitches, and probably jealous about the main character's two hot boyfriends.

Now envision Star Trek, with the CW formula applied. I often say any Star Trek is better than no Star Trek, but even I would draw the line at that.
Old August 14 2011, 11:18 PM   #85
Sybok
Lieutenant

The temporal reset button can un-destroy Vulcan and Romulus both. But since there was no dramatic payoff to Romulus' offscreen destruction, that's another good reason to decanonize it. I have no investment in something I was merely told about in dialogue
we saw spock escaping the explosion on screen....

anyways a destroyed romulan empire and STO's klingon invasion of the romulan remnants fits in imo with the future we saw in "All Good Things...", and its not like romulans are extinct, just that their homeworld is gone - romulans themselves survive on their colonies and probably in factions just like the french in wwii irl - makes a good universe for story telling methinks espiecially in episodic format, klingons the baddies again, romulan intrigue between remnant factions
Sybok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 12:23 AM   #86
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Sybok wrote: View Post
I'll have to rewatch the movie, I don't even remember that part.
Old August 15 2011, 12:30 AM   #87
Sybok
Lieutenant

Sybok wrote: View Post
I'll have to rewatch the movie, I don't even remember that part.
it was in the mindmeld dream sequence as i recall, but i could be mistaken since i havnt seen the movie in months but if i remember right it was very very brief
Sybok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 02:01 AM   #88
Kegg
Rear Admiral

the CW formula: main character is teenage female, has no adult supervision, has a power she can brood over angstily, will be in an a love triangle with two hot angsty guys,
Hmmm.

You know what?

I think it's time we saw a TV adaption of Paula Smith's classic A Trekkie's Tale.
Old August 15 2011, 03:29 AM   #89
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

There's no reason to bring Romulus back - it's not an important locale. Star Trek has managed for four decades with showing it only a couple of times. Vulcan has been somewhat more frequent, but not much.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 12:31 PM   #90
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Since Romulus still exists in this universe, the one Star Trek apparently means to stay in for the foreseeable future - I do strongly think that unimportance ought to change.

Top of my list for fleshing out aliens from TOS, would come down to either the Andorians or the Romulans.

I can't say Andorians aren't more wide open for development, with just a few elements Enterprise established to blend in. But more than that, I'm keen for somebody to take the Romulans and do for them, what TNG & DS9 did for the Klingons, in everything since "Sins of the Father". Maybe even try to unseat the foul smelling barbarians as the Number #1 Star Trek villains.

It'll be a shame if they don't go that route, given a) the popular view built up since the late 80's of Klingons being more or less on our side, Federation allies off & on but mostly honourable and b) the Romulans having far less established about them.

Nero's actions - everything onwards from destroying the U.S.S. Kelvin, to returning and causing the Vulcan disaster - that would seem to be a perfect storm the Romulans wouldn't be able to resist taking advantage of. Fingers pointing at them after the first event in 2233, an attack they had nothing to do with, would likely have been enough to bring back out of hiding in a big way.

Blanks that could be filled in, if Star Trek had more than a couple of hours to play with...

Last edited by ChristopherPike; August 15 2011 at 01:27 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote