A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 24 2011, 10:14 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land Records Releasing a 3-CD Set of TNG Scores at Comic-Con

Well, the "TNG theme" is actually Jerry Goldsmith's theme to Star Trek: The Motion Picture. So maybe you've been looking in the wrong places.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 05:35 AM   #32
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I neglected to mention, I'm glad to be getting the John Debney and Don Davis TNG scores as well. They're both strong composers.
I just watched 'Face of the Enemy' and thought to myself, "Man, this is a pretty rockin' score, I wonder who did it." When I saw Don Davis I came right to this thread.

Totally buying this set.
Old July 31 2011, 02:34 PM   #33
TrekAlliance92
Captain

Now available to order on Screen Archives Entertainment: LINK
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 04:56 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Cool, it's out 2 days ahead of schedule! Already ordered it.

Old August 1 2011, 10:37 AM   #35
Art Vandelay
Captain

And ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on this glorious set! Thanks for the link.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 05:06 AM   #36
destructive
Commander

Ordered as well, hopefully there will be more volumes to come, and from the other series
destructive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 09:02 PM   #37
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

The album is now available from La-La Land's site, complete with selected samples.

Neil
Old August 5 2011, 08:15 PM   #38
TrekAlliance92
Captain

Just saw my copy was delivered. Can't wait to get home and fire up some great Trek music! I'll post some impressions later on. Hope everyone else who ordered recently gets their copy as well.
Old August 5 2011, 11:24 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

My copy arrived today as well.

Old August 6 2011, 11:00 PM   #40
TrekAlliance92
Captain

Some Initial Impressions, listed by episode (I have a bias towards action cues and uses of the Courage/Goldsmith fanfare, so just noting that upfront):

McCarthy:
*Haven - Has some wonderful renditions of the Courage fanfare; also has a good action cue in "Tractor Beam"
*Hide & Q - Was really hoping for that opening action-style cue as they prepare to beam down burn units, but there's a good ending fanfare at least.
*Conspiracy - Another good Courage fanfare cue, but some of the best stuff from the episode is missing.
*The Child - Love, LOVE the opening cue with the Repulse shuttle--awesome.
*Elementary, Dear Data - Another great opening Courage fanfare cue.
*Time Squared - Some good tension/action beats in this one.
*The Survivors - I wanted all of the battle cues in this one, but at least there's one!
*Sarek - Meh.
*Conundrum - Good action cue, and surprise use of the Courage fanfare for an ending in the 5th season.
*All Good Things... - Another great ending cue.

Question: Did McCarthy never use the Goldsmith Trek theme? Ron Jones had some amazing uses of it...

Steiner:
*Code of Honor - One of the best on this set. Bookended by great versions of the classic Trek fanfare, there's also some great action beats and act-out cues throughout with a unique style. Really wish Steiner could have composed more for TNG onward.

I haven't really dug into Chataway or the two other guest composers just yet. But, needless to say, I'll be eagerly anticipating TNG Vol. 2 (and hopefully other series!) greatly!
Old August 6 2011, 11:04 PM   #41
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I love the inclusion of the "TNG Theme (Season 2)"... especially the end.
Old August 7 2011, 05:32 PM   #42
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I'm still unsure whether I want to buy this. I bought the Ron Jones project in a heartbeat because I knew I was getting quality music. With this set I'm not so sure.

I do feel that McCarthy and Chattaway are hugely underrated composers. But a lot of the cues on this set don't seem that memorable. I'm a bigger fan of Chattaway than Mccarthy and when I look at the tracklisiting I see there's a lot of bland season 5-7 stuff on there and not a lot of early greats (like his fantastic score for Tin Man and only on cue from the fantastic Remember Me).

Still, 35 dollars isn't a lot of money and I fear that it'll be sold out when I decide to buy. So, can those who've bought it help me with this dilemma. Is it worth the trouble and money?

Also, I hope that in the future we get some Deep Space Nine and Voyager releases.
Old August 7 2011, 05:59 PM   #43
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Logically speaking, if this set sells well, it ups the likelihood of a DS9 or Voyager set. Likewise, if this thing doesn't sell, it will probably kill any DS9 or Voyager set.

That being said, I would recommend getting the set. It's excellent.
Old August 7 2011, 10:39 PM   #44
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Scotty wrote: View Post
I do feel that McCarthy and Chattaway are hugely underrated composers. But a lot of the cues on this set don't seem that memorable. I'm a bigger fan of Chattaway than Mccarthy and when I look at the tracklisiting I see there's a lot of bland season 5-7 stuff on there and not a lot of early greats (like his fantastic score for Tin Man and only on cue from the fantastic Remember Me).
Chattaway's "Tin Man" has already been released, on TNG Volume 4. Not the complete score but most of the good cues.

I was hoping for complete scores a la the Ron Jones set, but this is a pretty good sampler. And if you don't buy it, we might not get a Vol. 2!
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2011, 01:12 AM   #45
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

The CD signing that occurred at Creature Features in Sierra Madre on Saturday a lot of fun. It was great to finally meet Dennis and Jay. I have been able to meet and chat with Ron Jones on several occasions around town (Family Guy scoring session, jazz gig, TNG CD signing) and it's very cool to know that I have now met the top three composers on one of my favorite series, ST:TNG. Dennis and I talked about the sheer number of notes he's composed for the various Trek series, his music for GENERATIONS and also V: The Final Battle mini-series. Jay and I talked about concert music in general, that of Stravinsky and studying the scores themselves, plus his great music for DS9.

The 3-disc set itself is really stellar, no pun intended. It's so amazing to think that in the span of a year we've had all of Ron Jones's efforts on TNG released and now additional music from McCarthy, Chattaway, Steiner, Davis and Debney. It's a wealth of riches for fans of the series!

Personally, I'm happy to have more of McCarthy's early TNG scores on disc, since all we had until now was "Encounter at Farpoint". "Haven" is a lovely score and "Conspiracy" has some great, unsettling passages. The Chattaway disc has some real highlights as well. I thought I knew these scores well enough from episode viewings, but color me surprised at discovering the lovely and subtly melancholy themes he wrote for "The Host" and "The Perfect Mate", in addition to the bristling action in "Darmok", "Relics" and "Starship Mine" and sublime tones in "The Chase". It really makes for a great album listen, from start to finish.

Disc three I have only perused briefly, but the Steiner score kicks ass for sure!
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote