TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 1 2011, 04:46 AM   #46
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

^It's not particularly fair to say that they "borrowed" from Star Trek and use that as a basis for why originality was not their strong suit. Trek is a show that's been going since the 60's and has hundreds of episodes.... they've probably run the gauntlet of sci-fi stories over the years.

You might consider checking out SGU before declaring it an abomination. It certainly wasn't as popular as the first two, but it's not as bad as your second-hand opinion suggests. It starts off pretty bloody slow, but it gets going towards the end.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old August 1 2011, 05:28 PM   #47
RoJoHen
Awesome

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
You might consider checking out SGU before declaring it an abomination. It certainly wasn't as popular as the first two, but it's not as bad as your second-hand opinion suggests. It starts off pretty bloody slow, but it gets going towards the end.
Like many of my favorite shows, it gets cancelled right when it starts getting really good!
Old August 1 2011, 08:35 PM   #48
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

interesting topic I was a Trekie before I saw SG but I love SG more than Trek SG got me on the boards where as Trek I stayed in the shadows and I had to get all of SG on DVD to catch up on what I missed where I have Trek on my to buy list on amazon. I discovered SG in 2006 I watched TNG & ENT first run
Old August 1 2011, 11:18 PM   #49
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Borrowing is okay when it's creative borrowing. Farscape borrowed the well-worn trope of "characters switching bodies" but then did a better version than anyone else. Stargate was just no good at that kind of ante-upping.
Old August 2 2011, 12:04 AM   #50
DWF
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Borrowing is okay when it's creative borrowing. Farscape borrowed the well-worn trope of "characters switching bodies" but then did a better version than anyone else. Stargate was just no good at that kind of ante-upping.
Speak for yourself I really liked Holiday and there's no way Farscape did it better than anybody else, their version certainly wasn't as funny to me as the Gilligan's Island version.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old August 4 2011, 10:24 PM   #51
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, Stargate's version was pretty uninspired, par for the course for them. But I admit, Gilligan's Island was a long time ago and the details are a tad fuzzy...
Old August 7 2011, 12:07 AM   #52
brian577
Captain

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
the leap to Earth having spaceships (Prometheus et al), while it seemed like a necessary step in storytelling, the development seemed paper-thin flimsy and came out of nowhere. It's all of a sudden "we have starships!".
So in other words, after 6 years of having access to non terrestrial minerals and advanced technology Earth has made zero progress, yeah that makes so much sense especially if the primary goal of the program is to find and I quote "technologies that we can use to defend ourselves against the Go'auld"
Old August 7 2011, 03:50 AM   #53
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

^
6 years? They didn't have access to all that technology when the Stargate program started. They only got bits and pieces over the years. And it's quite a stretch to accept going from contemporary space shuttles to hyperdrive and incredibly advanced technology only a small number of people have been exposed to/have knowledge of for a few years and build a whole starship out of it in just a few years.
Old August 7 2011, 08:03 AM   #54
Lieutenant Commander

And it's quite a stretch to accept going from contemporary space shuttles to hyperdrive and incredibly advanced technology only a small number of people have been exposed to/have knowledge of for a few years and build a whole starship out of it in just a few years.
Why? They did have help, it's not like they created it from scratch.
And Area 51 worked on it for years, you don't know how many people who work there.
Old August 7 2011, 11:10 AM   #55
spooky spice
Commander

The first TV show I remember watching was Star Trek, first run - this was back in the days when it was just called Star Trek and not Star Trek TOS, cos you didn't need to differentiate it from other Trek shows

*feels very, very old*

Anyhoos, I watched every version of Trek there was on TV, and I fell in love with all of them for various reasons. Then SG-1 came along, and I decided to watch as I'd liked the movie, and I liked the show. I felt a bit guilty about cheating on Trek but I got over it.

I love Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (seasons 1-3 only) I watched Stargate Universe for a while but gave up as I didn't give a toss about the characters, where they were going, how they were going to get there, or anything else about the show...

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Atlantis was fun the first three years, but after a while it all just went to shit. (Don't get me started on SGU)
Ah, a kindred spirit!

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
I cannot take Stargate seriously because every damn culture on every damn planet they visit speaks English.

There, I said it.
Obviously the stargate itself acts as some form of translator device, much like the TARDIS does

The Asuran Replicators were good initially
The Asuran Replicators were a mistake IMO, trying to bring SG-1 fans who hated SGA into the fold...

- Season 4... Carter didn't feel like a good fit. She was like Worf in DS9- didn't add anything. Many episodes tended to be blander too. I think this was the weakest season.
THANK YOU!!! Totally agree, they ruined Carter by taking her to Atlantis - and again (IMO) it smacked of trying to get the SG-1 fans to watch

S5 summed up the series: interesting concepts, fairly good acting/likeable characters, mediocre stories/writing.
True

They neglected the Genii, the Travelers, and overused the Replicators & Michael.
...got rid of Cauldwell, Zelenka, Lorne, diminished Dex to a grunting Neanderthal

(And didn't I read somewhere that Rob Cooper admitted that they'd "gone the wrong way" in seasons 4 and 5?)

I did not watch SGU. I didn't consider it Stargate and from the information available before it even hit the air, it didn't seem even remotely appealing.
I initially was happy to watch SGU, after all it's Stargate, right, it can't be bad. Then I started hearing rumours about the cast being in their early 20s and people were up in arms, so they brought in two older characters to [artificially] raise the average age to 30something, and the doubts started to creep in. There were more rumours and more flailing wildly by the producers trying to make the show sound like it was a worthy successor to SG-1 and SGA, but to me all they were doing was making it sound like they were panicking - trying to appeal to too many people; angry SG-1 fans, angry SGA fans, and draw in BSG fans...

But I trusted Cooper'n'Wright and to bring something great to the table.

They failed.

It was woeful. I was bored, how the hell could I be bored watching Stargate?! People [BSG fans who were loving the show] kept telling me to "give it a chance", but why? I didn't have to give any other show I watched a chance to grow on me, I liked or loved them from the start. SGU had none of the elements that made SG-1 or SGA enjoyable... death's too good for it.
Old August 7 2011, 01:12 PM   #56
Lieutenant Commander

spooky spice wrote: View Post
Then I started hearing rumours about the cast being in their early 20s and people were up in arms, so they brought in two older characters to [artificially] raise the average age to 30something, and the doubts started to creep in.
One person in the cast under 25 years old when they started. All the others 27+.

Average age 33,8

Average age for Atlantis 2004, 33,2
SG-1 1997, 38,8
Old August 7 2011, 02:02 PM   #57
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

^
6 years? They didn't have access to all that technology when the Stargate program started. They only got bits and pieces over the years. And it's quite a stretch to accept going from contemporary space shuttles to hyperdrive and incredibly advanced technology only a small number of people have been exposed to/have knowledge of for a few years and build a whole starship out of it in just a few years.
The Asgard fabricated the entire engine system for those ships, basically assembling many of the engine systems and having the Humans slowly build the ship around them. Two Daedalus are worked on at a time, with nearly the entire Stargate Program budget spent on them, taking a year to produce the two.

Since the Asgard are gone, there are a limited number of Hyperdrive cores lying around to use, the Daedalus project will come to a halt with a specific number of ships that they'll have to take very good care of.

After that, Humans will have to build a new generation of much less advanced ships entirely from scratch taking years per ship, that will bolster the existing fleet. This is a temporary boom of technological progression with bucket loads of alien help. It won't last.
Old August 7 2011, 02:56 PM   #58
DWF
Vice Admiral

46379.1 wrote: View Post
And it's quite a stretch to accept going from contemporary space shuttles to hyperdrive and incredibly advanced technology only a small number of people have been exposed to/have knowledge of for a few years and build a whole starship out of it in just a few years.
Why? They did have help, it's not like they created it from scratch.
And Area 51 worked on it for years, you don't know how many people who work there.
Indeed and it took Carter years to perfect the naqahdah generators to power the ships.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old August 7 2011, 05:06 PM   #59
spooky spice
Commander

46379.1 wrote: View Post
One person in the cast under 25 years old when they started. All the others 27+.

Average age 33,8

Average age for Atlantis 2004, 33,2
SG-1 1997, 38,8

Really, I read that the average age on SGu (originally) was 27...
Old August 7 2011, 07:17 PM   #60
brian577
Captain

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
^
The Asgard fabricated the entire engine system for those ships, basically assembling many of the engine systems and having the Humans slowly build the ship around them. Two Daedalus are worked on at a time, with nearly the entire Stargate Program budget spent on them, taking a year to produce the two.

Since the Asgard are gone, there are a limited number of Hyperdrive cores lying around to use, the Daedalus project will come to a halt with a specific number of ships that they'll have to take very good care of.

After that, Humans will have to build a new generation of much less advanced ships entirely from scratch taking years per ship, that will bolster the existing fleet. This is a temporary boom of technological progression with bucket loads of alien help. It won't last.
First of all we're talking about the Prometheus the first intersteller craft constructed, secondly they built the Sun Tzu, and the Hammond after the Asgard died. Finally, with the Asgard computer and replication technology there is no reason to assume they would be pushed back in terms of technological progression.