RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,858
Posts: 5,328,506
Members: 24,554
Currently online: 576
Newest member: Kastrol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 5 2011, 10:14 PM   #286
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

I'M not the one who thinks VOY ruined the Borg. I'M not the one who thought giving the Borg at least ONE rival ruined them. I'M not the one who thinks a story that makes the VOY crew incompetent spineless cowards would be a good thing worth watching.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:33 PM   #287
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain
 
RyuRoots's Avatar
 
Location: Ul'Dah
View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
I'M not the one who thought giving the Borg at least ONE rival ruined them. I'M not the one who thinks a story that makes the VOY crew incompetent spineless cowards would be a good thing worth watching.
Sorry, but I have to disagree, since I have literally never seen anyone but you claim these things. So Anwar is the hatedome. It feels like we've solved a mystery.
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-Present
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:38 PM   #288
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

I had a discussion a while back with newtype_alpha where he criticized the existence of the 8472 aliens, so you have at least one contemporary to go to on that.

Luminus and even Guy Gardener said they wanted stories where VOY would have to abandon others to the Borg or fail to help them, so there you go again.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:43 PM   #289
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain
 
RyuRoots's Avatar
 
Location: Ul'Dah
View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
I had a discussion a while back with newtype_alpha where he criticized the existence of the 8472 aliens, so you have at least one contemporary to go to on that.

Luminus and even Guy Gardener said they wanted stories where VOY would have to abandon others to the Borg or fail to help them, so there you go again.
You do realize that "having a no-win situation" doesn't mean "being incompetent spineless cowards", right? Not that I don't already know the answer. Frankly, unless newtype_alpha comes in and personally says "I hate 8472 for being a challenge to the Borg", I'd dismiss that, too, since there's nothing wrong with disliking an alien species. I never claimed that no one disliked 8472 for any reason.

And hell! Even if I acknowledge all three (and I don't), that would be three people for your alleged huge, extremely loud hatedom that doesn't exist.
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-Present
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:58 PM   #290
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Show me an episode of TOS, TNG or DS9 where Kirk, Picard or Sisko run into a world under attack from some enemy and they just decide to leave them to their fates either because they were scared or because they didn't think they could do anything.

And yes, the crux of the matter with newtype_alpha WAS that they could fight the Borg.

I spoke about the 8472 aliens with guys on forums like rpg.net, at least there they were more open to the idea that Borg were only good for 2-3 stories and TNG already used them up beforehand so they didn't blame VOY for the decay.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 11:12 PM   #291
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: Lennvale, Valocea
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
You do realize that "having a no-win situation" doesn't mean "being incompetent spineless cowards", right? Not that I don't already know the answer.
Ahh, but in order to address this fact, that one does not have to be an incompetent spineless coward to fail at times, one would be required to stray into the dreaded middle ground.
Anwar wrote:
And yes, the crux of the matter with newtype_alpha WAS that they could fight the Borg.
I'm hesitant to just take your word for it, but here: suppose newtype does hate 8472 SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE they could trash the Borg. Even if that's true... so what? He's entitled to his opinion. No one is trying to assert that NO ONE EVER hated VOY or species 8472. That would be silly; for every show, and every aspect of a show like Trek, there is bound to be someone out there who loves it, and someone who hates it.

But newtype (assuming you are even characterizing his stance on 8472 correctly) isn't here! He isn't involved in this discussion! You cannot take something that ONE PERSON said, and ascribe that viewpoint to entire swaths of people.

Hmm...why does this feel so familiar...
Show me an episode of TOS, TNG or DS9 where Kirk, Picard or Sisko run into a world under attack from some enemy and they just decide to leave them to their fates either because they were scared or because they didn't think they could do anything.
Even if there aren't any, why does that mean VOY can't do it? And do you really think that if Picard and the Ent-D came across, say, 3 cubes trashing some poor sap's homeworld, they would be like "Ok! Arm all weapons, let's get em!"? They wouldn't be able to do much either.

And again with the extremes! The only two options in your world are "They win the day, 100%, everything is great, the bad guys are stopped!" or "They LOSE, because they SUCK, and they're SPINELESS COWARDS and EVERYONE DIED."

"Voyager doesn't stop the Borg or save the entire planet" does not have to mean "Voyager is completely ineffectual and ever last member of that species is assimilated." There are DOZENS of ways that a story along those lines could go (no I'm not going to list them all out, and no, failing to do so doesn't make me a hater).
RyuRoots wrote:
And hell! Even if I acknowledge all three (and I don't), that would be three people for your alleged huge, extremely loud hatedom that doesn't exist.
Ah yes, the Hatedome! I hear it's being renovated!
__________________
"I love you guys. " - macloudt

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 11:59 PM   #292
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Saito S wrote: View Post
Ahh, but in order to address this fact, that one does not have to be an incompetent spineless coward to fail at times, one would be required to stray into the dreaded middle ground.
For such an epic fail of that magnitude, middle ground doesn't apply.

Hell, Luminus' own opinion is that there would no middle ground for Borg appearances: they'd always have to be some huge big event that kills tons of people.

Nevermind that in BOBW it was all nameless faceless extras killed of instead of the main cast.

Even if there aren't any, why does that mean VOY can't do it?
Because having these guys, who are incapable of doing anything epic on the "good" side of the spectrum due to them being totally on their own and without any significant friends or significant connections to any DQ aliens they meet, have only epic FAILURES, won't warm the audience up to them. Especially in comparison to their predecessors who CAN do epically heroic things to counterbalance whatever failures they endure.

"Sisko's off winning a war to save the known Trekverse, let's compete against that by having VOY try to stop the Borg from assimilating some helpless guy and fail really badly before they run off and leave said helpless guy to his fate."

And do you really think that if Picard and the Ent-D came across, say, 3 cubes trashing some poor sap's homeworld, they would be like "Ok! Arm all weapons, let's get em!"?
Well, yes.

And again with the extremes! The only two options in your world are "They win the day, 100%, everything is great, the bad guys are stopped!" or "They LOSE, because they SUCK, and they're SPINELESS COWARDS and EVERYONE DIED."
It's the Borg, "they don't do anything piecemeal" remember?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 01:24 AM   #293
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 01:48 AM   #294
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

If the wind was blowing just right, how could you resist peeing that?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 02:53 AM   #295
Luminus
Fleet Captain
 
Luminus's Avatar
 
Location: The Singularity
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

[Sigh] Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in. I could dismantle so many things you've said, Anwar, since I left. But I'll leave that to the people who are still debating with you. I will however, leave you with this tidbit in response to this:

Anwar wrote: View Post
Show me an episode of TOS, TNG or DS9 where Kirk, Picard or Sisko run into a world under attack from some enemy and they just decide to leave them to their fates either because they were scared or because they didn't think they could do anything.
When the Borg start assimilating the Enterprise E in First Contact, Picard and crew are escaping into a Jeffries tube. During this scene, a crewman yells out to Picard for help, as he is being assimilated. Picard moves closer to this crewman and shoots him dead with a phaser – something Lilly gives him hell over later on. 1 very clear example to answer your request.
__________________
The Legend of Stratus Janice

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 03:23 AM   #296
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Who could forget this:

PICARD: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back."

Spineless cowards, right?


Another example:

DS9 - The Way of the Warrior: The Defiant comes across some wreckage, and they choose not to take the risk of dropping the cloak to scan for survivors. They leave them behind.


And I already know what your response will be, Anwar, so I'll write it for you: "Funny thing is, if they did that on VOY, everyone would complain."
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 03:31 AM   #297
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
If they had actually gotten there in time, seen the Cube do this, and just sit there and watch?

Yes, yes they would be.

When the Borg start assimilating the Enterprise E in First Contact, Picard and crew are escaping into a Jeffries tube. During this scene, a crewman yells out to Picard for help, as he is being assimilated. Picard moves closer to this crewman and shoots him dead with a phaser – something Lilly gives him hell over later on
Mercy killing is better than nothing. If Picard had just turned around and run off without doing anything, then this would count.

PICARD: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back."
That quote made no sense, since we never saw or heard of any Borg attacks where the Feds fell back or ran off.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 03:38 AM   #298
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Anwar wrote: View Post
PICARD: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back."
That quote made no sense, since we never saw or heard of any Borg attacks where the Feds fell back or ran off.
Yes, we did hear of them:

PICARD: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back."
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 04:03 AM   #299
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

When did that happen? There were no Borg attacks between BOBW and Descent, and no attacks between Descent and FC.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 04:06 AM   #300
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

So now you're saying Picard was lying?

You just don't know when to quit do you?
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
borg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.