RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 687
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5 2011, 05:38 PM   #376
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

do you think they will do the human torch or the sub mariner ww2 movies?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 05:40 PM   #377
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Jim Hammond I believe was referenced in "Captain America: First Avenger" and I doubt we would get a World War II era Namor movie. Not much point in my opinion.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 06:27 PM   #378
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

Was Robert Downey Jr busy? The ending would have been better if Tony Stark met him considering the family connection.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 07:02 PM   #379
Skywalker
Admiral

G2309 wrote: View Post
Was Robert Downey Jr busy? The ending would have been better if Tony Stark met him considering the family connection.
Not if the ending takes place before Stark becomes a 'consultant' for SHIELD. The timeline for these movies isn't strictly A to B.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 07:17 PM   #380
captcalhoun
Admiral

considering TIH, Thor and IM2 overlap one another, that's an understatement.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:16 PM   #381
CaptainCanada
Admiral

If the agent at the end is supposed to be Sharon, that has obvious sequel importance.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 11:16 PM   #382
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I've seen nothing to indicate that the agent Steve saw in the present was meant to be Sharon. It's perhaps implied that it was, but more likely they got someone that resembled her enough to greet him when he awoke. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Sharon.

I'm pretty sure there was an article in the "Avengers" thread that stated Sharon along with a whole slew of other Shield agents including Abigail Brand would be in "Avengers".

Old August 6 2011, 12:03 AM   #383
Anwar
Vice Admiral

IMDB lists her (Amanda Rhigetti) as "SHIELD Agent" in Captain America, and then as Sharon Carter for Avengers.

Plus the actress isn't an unknown, so it would be kind of a waste for that to be her one scene.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 12:15 AM   #384
DWF
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Not if the ending takes place before Stark becomes a 'consultant' for SHIELD. The timeline for these movies isn't strictly A to B.
Exactly at the end of the movie Fury tells Steve Rogers that it's 2008 so I don't think Tony Stark is on their payroll yet.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 12:17 AM   #385
Skywalker
Admiral

Fury never said it was 2008, only that Steve had been asleep for nearly 70 years. It is implied that the 'present day' in the MCU is 2008-09, though, yes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 12:53 AM   #386
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
IMDB lists her (Amanda Rhigetti) as "SHIELD Agent" in Captain America, and then as Sharon Carter for Avengers.

Plus the actress isn't an unknown, so it would be kind of a waste for that to be her one scene.
The IMDB listing as Sharon is just spec somebody posted, but we know she's in the movie, so it would make sense if that was who she was supposed to be.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 01:32 AM   #387
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What the heck, I'll give it an A+ - it was just as good as I expected. The best part was Skinny Steve/USO. The last half had great action, but let's face it, that's not what's distinctive about this story.

I was very impressed with all the actors but I especially liked Sebastian Stan, who I think has star power on par with Chris Evans. I'd nominate him for Doctor Strange, except given the way he died, I can't help but think that Bucky's story ain't exactly over.

And speaking of loose ends, what about the vial of super-serum that the Nazi agent tried to steal and ended up getting broken in a puddle of water? Is that how New York ended up with alligators in the sewers? They used to be geckos...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 01:36 AM   #388
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I doubt the smashed stolen vial will be anything significant...it could have very well been a TMNT homage though Yeah everyone pretty much thinks Buck's story isn't over yet and is about to get very dark.

Old August 6 2011, 01:39 AM   #389
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm glad I wasn't just thinking wishful about Bucky then. I liked the character and no way do I want him to be gone for good. No doubt whatever Hydra was doing to him will keep him alive in the snow, for future supervillany purposes. Not this upcoming Avengers movie, but maybe the one after that. (At the soonest, I could just see the end teaser of the upcoming Avengers movie being Bucky arising from a snowdrift, horribly changed... )

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Captain America's "proper milieu" is not the 1940s.
I agree. I see the movie as a big, elaborate origin movie that establishes Cap's character in order to have him do modern-day movies, where his "hokey" and idealistic (but never blind) patriotism can be set up in interesting contrast to, say, Tony Stark.

The "Civil War" conflict between Cap and Iron Man is the story that I really hope they get to. The way I see it, Cap's story has barely even begun. The next Avengers movie can establish the team; then they can have Supervillain Bucky; and then they can progress to the "Civil War" story after having doled out foreshadowing during the first two movies.

All this stems from my perspective that Tony and Steve are by far the most interesting characters in the Avengers story, since they seem to be real people and the rest - Thor, Black Widow, Nick Fury - are just kinda there. They don't have some internal dynamic that can fuel a story, but Captain America and Iron Man do. I'll reserve judgement on Bruce Banner due to the casting change which I'm not convinced will even work.

But they really don't need to do more WWII-era movies. Cap's story was "true power comes from the heart," and he proved that. Another WWII movie isn't going to somehow prove it more. We'd just get more action like the last half of this movie, which is fun and all, but I'm picky and expect more from any superhero movie I'm willing to plunk down ten bucks for. It's gotta have more going for it than action, and it's gotta be something I didn't get in the last movie. For Cap's story to move on, the era must move on.

I'd love to see a Sub-Mariner movie, but it can just as well be modern-day. The character really doesn't need to have a WWII era genesis.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
nah, just do a Howling Commandos movie set in '45 after Cap's disappearance.
Or a TV series.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; August 6 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 02:07 AM   #390
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I just want to see a live action Namor exclaim "Imperius Rex!!!"