RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Posts: 5,360,072
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 477
Newest member: vicky013


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 3 2011, 10:35 PM   #1981
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
BTW: In my mind, as long as they're rebooting the DCU now, they ought to make the comic book Perry black.
Frankly if they're trying to reboot and modernize the Superman character, they should probably ditch the Daily Planet altogether.

Have him be a freelance AP reporter or something, working on important stories in war-torn countries. Or make him an Anderson Cooper type for a CNN-style show.

Even if the Planet is supposed to be the equivalent of a powerhouse like the New York Times, it still feels awfully quaint and outdated to see Superman working at a newspaper in 2011.
I see your point but the Planet could be a web content provider, not unlike what the Times (or Wall St Journal) is evolving into.

And as an aside, if anything, I think the issue is more pressing with Spiderman. At this point, anyone with a camera phone should be selling Spidey pics to Jameson.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 11:18 PM   #1982
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, considering that he is up against the likes of Thor and Cap - or even the armor and CG suit-enhanced physiques of Iron Man and GL - he will need to be bigger than Reeve. Reeve's Superman is pretty slight by modern standards; fortunately the actor had a good frame to begin with.
I think the bigger Reeve from Superman II still looks pretty impressive by today's standards, if you were to just put him in a newer suit (not so much the leaner Reeve from the first movie).

But yeah, I'm sure Cavil will still have to get a bit bigger. I just never really cared for that super steroidal look on Supes.
You do realize Superman 1 and 2 were mostly filmed at the same time? Reeve should look the same in both films because they went back and forth between the films when filming.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 11:49 PM   #1983
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
Even if the Planet is supposed to be the equivalent of a powerhouse like the New York Times, it still feels awfully quaint and outdated to see Superman working at a newspaper in 2011.
It does, doesn't it?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 12:09 AM   #1984
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

AviTrek wrote: View Post
You do realize Superman 1 and 2 were mostly filmed at the same time? Reeve should look the same in both films because they went back and forth between the films when filming.
Ok then, the Reeve from the Lester-shot portions of Superman II, where he is clearly a lot bigger.

I figured most people here would know what I was talking about.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 12:43 AM   #1985
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
Even if the Planet is supposed to be the equivalent of a powerhouse like the New York Times, it still feels awfully quaint and outdated to see Superman working at a newspaper in 2011.
Not if it looks like this in the movie. And it's not like newspapers are extinct or anything.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 03:17 AM   #1986
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Even if the Planet is supposed to be the equivalent of a powerhouse like the New York Times, it still feels awfully quaint and outdated to see Superman working at a newspaper in 2011.
Not if it looks like this in the movie. And it's not like newspapers are extinct or anything.
Not quite yet, no. Few are making any money.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 03:26 AM   #1987
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I've been thinking about Fishburne as Perry today, and now I'm not sure if he's a good match for the role. Don't get me wrong, Fishburne is a fine actor. It is just that whenever I envision Perry, it seems like he always gives out some sort of crazy energy. I don't know how to better explain it. Look at Lane Smith's and Jackie Cooper's (and to some extent, Michael McKean's) take on the role. Different interpretations, but there was something about them that made the character come alive.

Fishburne, at least in the roles I have seen him in, always seems to be low-key and subdued in his performances. I don't think that would fit Perry White. In Superman Returns, Frank Langella acted the role fairly subdued, and the performance felt off to me.

That being said, Fishburne is a great catch for this movie and I want to be proven wrong with his performance.

One thing is for sure: even if this movie manages to be a complete mess, the production team has assembled a surprisingly amazing cast.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:48 AM   #1988
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Well I think he would say otherwise...

Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:57 AM   #1989
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

How is Lawrence Fishbourne "shock value" casting? Most of this film has been that. Russell Crowe as Jor-El? Julia Ormond as Lara? I seriously doubt that Snyder cast Fishbourne to "shock". Directors cast actors they think are best for the part written. To assume this was some kind of stunt is silly in my opinion.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:30 AM   #1990
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Well I think he would say otherwise...
__________________
formerly known as Praetor_Shinzon.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:56 AM   #1991
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Gee guys, it's not like Hollywood has EVER made changes to a supporting character before...

There is nothing about the character of Perry White that indicates that he HAS to be caucasian. Nothing.
Yeah there is, he's white in the comics. Why do they have to go the affirmative action way? If he was black in the comics, then he should be black on screen. It's simple, stick to what the character is in the comic. So far this is the only casting descision I disagree with. I think he's a great actor and will play the part well, but I can't stand when they pick a black actor or a female actor just because some group complained or because they think they have too because they don't want to offend anyone. They feel they have to be PC., it's rediculous.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:59 AM   #1992
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Who complained and who might be offended?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 06:29 AM   #1993
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Bleeding Cool comments about the casting in an interesting article.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/...k-perry-white/
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 02:20 PM   #1994
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod
 
Misfit Toy's Avatar
 
Location: Transporter buffer
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Gee guys, it's not like Hollywood has EVER made changes to a supporting character before...

There is nothing about the character of Perry White that indicates that he HAS to be caucasian. Nothing.
Yeah there is, he's white in the comics. Why do they have to go the affirmative action way? If he was black in the comics, then he should be black on screen. It's simple, stick to what the character is in the comic. So far this is the only casting descision I disagree with. I think he's a great actor and will play the part well, but I can't stand when they pick a black actor or a female actor just because some group complained or because they think they have too because they don't want to offend anyone. They feel they have to be PC., it's rediculous.
Perry White was introduced on the RADIO. What color was he? What is rIdiculous is the assumption that "they pick a black actor or a female actor just because some group complained". That completely undercuts your argument that he is a great actor.
__________________
Woof.
Misfit Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 02:23 PM   #1995
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
Yeah there is, he's white in the comics. Why do they have to go the affirmative action way?
Because they're not bigots and want Fishburne for the part.

It is that simple.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.