Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 3 2011, 02:24 PM   #1936
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
It's "out of the box" thinking and something to celebrate if a traditional and obvious white role is racially recast. However, here and other places if a white gets a role due to limitations in the casting pool the internets go wild.

Just pointing it out, don't hate on me for just pointing it out.
It's not remotely the same thing, and you know that. Non-white characters continue to be underrepresented in Hollywood, and even more rarely play the lead. Taking a comparatively rare opportunity for them and giving it to a white actor is decreasing already-slim opportunities. There are no "limitations in the casting pool"; that's just an excuse.

As to this casting...interesting. Fishburne's about 50 now so I suppose he actually is in the right age range for the part, but my impression of him just makes me think he's too young, however incorrect that may be.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 02:33 PM   #1937
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Gee guys, it's not like Hollywood has EVER made changes to a supporting character before...

There is nothing about the character of Perry White that indicates that he HAS to be caucasian. Nothing.
Old August 3 2011, 02:38 PM   #1938
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Ideally, Luthor should be less of an idiosyncractic character part - he should be as charismatic and dominating a screen presence as whoever plays Supes, if not more so.

Jeff Bridges would be nice; since the character in the movies has just about always played as older than Superman the age difference is trivial.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
As to this casting...interesting. Fishburne's about 50 now so I suppose he actually is in the right age range for the part, but my impression of him just makes me think he's too young, however incorrect that may be.
Good casting. It's a shame DC Comics didn't pick up on this.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 02:39 PM   #1939
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ We've had an Asian Lana Lang, a Superman with Asian ancestry, a black Pete Ross, not to mention changes of race for the likes of Ras Al Ghul, Alicia from the Fantastic Four, Harvey Dent, Nick Fury and others. I don't see the problem either.

Edi: As for Bridges , I thought he was a great supervillain in Iron Man and would have been a great Lex. But playing another bald-headed supervillain so soon after?
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 02:41 PM   #1940
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I think it's a good choice. He has the gravitas.
Old August 3 2011, 02:42 PM   #1941
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ We've had an Asian Lana Lang, a Superman with Asian ancestry, a black Pete Ross, not to mention changes of race for the likes of Ras Al Ghul, Alicia from the Fantastic Four, Harvey Dent, Nick Fury and others. I don't see the problem either.
There's no actual problem - it's a fabricated issue. Folks can't produce an honest example of a movie which was in any way diminished in quality by the casting of a non-white or female in a part previously associated with a white male...so there's no real world basis for any objection or controversy.

I mean, Clarke as the Kingpin was one of the things which went wrong that movie? Really?

Edit: As for Bridges , I thought he was a great supervillain in Iron Man and would have been a great Lex. But playing another bald-headed supervillain so soon after?
The beard makes all the difference.
Old August 3 2011, 03:43 PM   #1942
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Perry is any standard man.
Which means race is irrelevant.
Old August 3 2011, 05:29 PM   #1943
davejames
Vice Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80639

Well he's worn the new suit. And sounds like he's trying to get pretty big too. Personally I just want him to look big and strong, like Reeve looked.

I don't need him to balloon up to Thor or Captain America levels. I thought that bordered on looking a bit ridiculous to be honest. Like someone had taken a bicycle pump to them or something. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 05:40 PM   #1944
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
flemm wrote: View Post
Casting Zoe Saldana as Lois Lane could be really cool. I'd love to see that.
I submit that would hurt box office performance.

If you must racebend, why not Perry White?

Clark: "Perry White?"

Perry: "Yes, that's right: Perry White! And if you don't want to get fired on your first day, Kent, you'd better get down to the waterfront with Olson right now before rush hour!"
Heh. Yeah. I've always thought something like that could be be brilliant, especially if you got an actor like John Amos to play Perry.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 05:45 PM   #1945
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

He's a fine actor, and that's all that really matters to me...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 06:33 PM   #1946
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm guessing we will get a pic of Henry in the new suit by the fall time. I'm also starting to think Lex Luthor won't be in the film but will be some kind of presence, much like OsCorp will be shown and mentioned in "The Amazing Spider-Man". They could save Lex for a sequel. Unless they suddenly cast Young Lex Luthor and have a flashback scene of Lex and Clark in Smallville and that's how we see Lex. That would be something different for a Superman movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 06:46 PM   #1947
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

davejames wrote: View Post
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80639

Well he's worn the new suit. And sounds like he's trying to get pretty big too. Personally I just want him to look big and strong, like Reeve looked.

I don't need him to balloon up to Thor or Captain America levels. I thought that bordered on looking a bit ridiculous to be honest. Like someone had taken a bicycle pump to them or something. lol
Well, considering that he is up against the likes of Thor and Cap - or even the armor and CG suit-enhanced physiques of Iron Man and GL - he will need to be bigger than Reeve. Reeve's Superman is pretty slight by modern standards; fortunately the actor had a good frame to begin with.
Old August 3 2011, 07:17 PM   #1948
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Great casting!

I can totally see Fishburne in the role. The supporting cast for this movie so far is simply awesome. Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe and now Laurence Fishburne.

Henry Cavill has good reason to step up his game. He better be up to the challenge.
Old August 3 2011, 07:25 PM   #1949
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, considering that he is up against the likes of Thor and Cap - or even the armor and CG suit-enhanced physiques of Iron Man and GL - he will need to be bigger than Reeve. Reeve's Superman is pretty slight by modern standards; fortunately the actor had a good frame to begin with.
I think the bigger Reeve from Superman II still looks pretty impressive by today's standards, if you were to just put him in a newer suit (not so much the leaner Reeve from the first movie).

But yeah, I'm sure Cavil will still have to get a bit bigger. I just never really cared for that super steroidal look on Supes.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 07:30 PM   #1950
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Awesome casting indeed! Probably why he left CSI, which I don't blame him.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote