RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,700
Posts: 5,431,418
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 476
Newest member: Edtrecke


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 2 2011, 06:18 PM   #436
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous pages, but assuming we all liked what we saw on the test Blu-ray, what would people be prepared to pay for season sets?

On the basic assumption there'd be 7 BR discs per season as per the DVD sets, and that many of us here will already own all 7 seasons on DVD, what realistic price will get people buying on Blu?
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:21 PM   #437
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Tosk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I also hated a few of the episodes they did. Should they change them for the remastered?
Sure, why not?!


...Is your question supposed to imply that any new effects work should mirror the old ones so pefectly that they use two distinctly different CG models? Or is this just a "No new effects work at all!" thing?
My point has been all along that they should re-use the original footage, as they shot the models on film, just composited them on video. So they need to scan the film and re-composit the effects in HD. That way they use as little CG as possible, and keep the show with the original effects intact. Planets, suns, nebulas, shield effects, phasers, torpedoes, explosions, etc... would have to be done with CGI of course (unless they have been filmed, too). But the model work is perfectly fine on HD.

This:
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...akednow001.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point1_113.jpg

would turn into this:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ionshd0978.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ionshd1421.jpg
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:22 PM   #438
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Not sure if this has been covered in the previous pages, but assuming we all liked what we saw on the test Blu-ray, what would people be prepared to pay for season sets?
I just paid $115 for all 5 seasons of Stargate: Atlantis on Blu-ray from Amazon - that's about $23/season. So... maybe a nice $200 ($29/season) boxed set for the entire series of TNG?

(Farscape will cost me more per season later this year, but... well, they don't have nearly the number of duff episodes that TNG has. )
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:26 PM   #439
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Not sure if this has been covered in the previous pages, but assuming we all liked what we saw on the test Blu-ray, what would people be prepared to pay for season sets?

On the basic assumption there'd be 7 BR discs per season as per the DVD sets, and that many of us here will already own all 7 seasons on DVD, what realistic price will get people buying on Blu?
I'm at the upper end of that spectrum. TNG is a must have series for me, having a special significance because it's so nostalgic for me personally. I'd probably pay $80-$100 per season for a decent upgrade. This is about what I paid per season for the DVD sets as they were released.

The market has changed though, and series don't tend to cost that much anymore (recession, and all that).

I would expect it to cost about the same as the TOS remastered sets.
__________________
I made an 8-bit style RPG, here it is
I'm getting married on July 19, 2014.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:34 PM   #440
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I see no reason why TNG wouldn't be priced similarly to other Blu-Ray TV sets. I paid $50 or so for each of the TOS sets, and I expect the TNG sets to cost about the same.
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:43 PM   #441
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

ATimson wrote: View Post
I just paid $115 for all 5 seasons of Stargate: Atlantis on Blu-ray from Amazon - that's about $23/season. So... maybe a nice $200 ($29/season) boxed set for the entire series of TNG?

(Farscape will cost me more per season later this year, but... well, they don't have nearly the number of duff episodes that TNG has. )
Atlantis wouldn't have needed any in depth and expensive remastering of effects though? Straight copy to Bluray with minimal cost, I'm assuming.

I wouldn't pay much more than £45 per season on Blu-ray for TNG. I think I paid £60 per season on DVD when they first came out. I'd like to think maybe there might be some financial incentive from Paramount for those of us who buy the test disc to at least encourage us to dip out toes in to season one on Blu.

All that said, I've a bad feeling the fans will once again be fleeced for all they're worth. Paramount will just cite the cost of remastering for ripping off the fans. TOS-R is still £45 on Blu-ray in the UK.

Just looked at the first season TOS-R season 1 Blu-ray set, and it's 29 episodes on 7 discs, which means that at least one disc has 5 episodes on it, and TOS eps are about 50 mins long from memory. It's possible that each TNG season with it's shorter run time per episode, could be easily be put across 6 discs, something which could have a positive impact on price.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 07:08 PM   #442
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I see no reason why TNG wouldn't be priced similarly to other Blu-Ray TV sets. I paid $50 or so for each of the TOS sets, and I expect the TNG sets to cost about the same.
I purchased Star Trek on Blu-Ray for the same price, but that was only after the series had been on sale for some time, no? I expect Star Trek: The Next Generation to have an astronomical SRP and to be actually sold (initially) somewhere in the ballpark of 80-100 bucks. When it sales for $50, then I'll pick it up.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 07:15 PM   #443
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Atlantis wouldn't have needed any in depth and expensive remastering of effects though? Straight copy to Bluray with minimal cost, I'm assuming.
That's true, though TNG also has the syndication revenue route to help recoup the costs - BBC America is showing TNG reruns a lot more frequently than SyFy is SGA.

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Just looked at the first season TOS-R season 1 Blu-ray set, and it's 29 episodes on 7 discs, which means that at least one disc has 5 episodes on it, and TOS eps are about 50 mins long from memory. It's possible that each TNG season with it's shorter run time per episode, could be easily be put across 6 discs, something which could have a positive impact on price.
Well, check the price for the 6-disc season 3. I doubt you'll see a difference.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 07:17 PM   #444
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Harvey wrote: View Post
I expect Star Trek: The Next Generation to have an astronomical SRP and to be actually sold (initially) somewhere in the ballpark of 80-100 bucks.
This is what I fear. I think most fans would be able to tell Paramount right now that sort of pricing would kill the TNG-R project stone dead, especially in the current economic climate. Not that the suits will care one iota.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 07:21 PM   #445
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

ATimson wrote: View Post
Well, check the price for the 6-disc season 3. I doubt you'll see a difference.
You got me! In the UK, one of the TOS-R sets is a bit cheaper than the other two so that it becomes maginally more economic to buy the complete box set. Strangely enough, I think the cheaper set is season 1 (7 discs) while season 2 (6 discs) is £5 more expensive.

Also, season 2 of TNG on DVD was never any cheaper than the other seasons for being one less disc.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 08:07 PM   #446
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

^^ I can remember paying over 100 euros for a season of TNG on DVD back when it was first released. That's 140-150 dollars. I"ll bet a new BD release won't come cheap either.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 09:27 PM   #447
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
My point has been all along that they should re-use the original footage, as they shot the models on film, just composited them on video. So they need to scan the film and re-composit the effects in HD.
And limit themselves to the same 10 shots of the Enterprise again? That's really boring, I realize there are only so many ways the ship can fly across the screen, but if they have to re-do all effects anyway, they really should get rid of the most obvious stock footage. Even as a kid I noticed that they used the same shots again and again and again.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 09:44 PM   #448
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Ugh Paramount and their ridiculously high pricing scheme for the Trek DVDs. Between when those DVDs came out in 2002 and now, I've managed to only acquire six seasons of TNG mainly because I simply refuse to pay more than $50 for a season of television on DVD. I recognize that's my own little quibble, but with the decline for ownership demand plus the near neverending rebroadcast of the series coupled with my own nostalgic photomemory of the series, I just haven't felt a pressing need to own any of the modern day Trek series, despite still trying to collect them.

I have no doubt the Blu-Rays will be similarly expensive, which of course is Paramount's right to charge, but man sometimes I wish Trekkies weren't so instant-gratification-heavy that they'd drop down so much money upfront.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 12:31 AM   #449
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I also hated a few of the episodes they did. Should they change them for the remastered?
Sure, why not?!


...Is your question supposed to imply that any new effects work should mirror the old ones so pefectly that they use two distinctly different CG models? Or is this just a "No new effects work at all!" thing?
My point has been all along that they should re-use the original footage, as they shot the models on film, just composited them on video. So they need to scan the film and re-composit the effects in HD. That way they use as little CG as possible, and keep the show with the original effects intact. Planets, suns, nebulas, shield effects, phasers, torpedoes, explosions, etc... would have to be done with CGI of course (unless they have been filmed, too). But the model work is perfectly fine on HD.

This:
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...akednow001.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point1_113.jpg

would turn into this:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ionshd0978.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ionshd1421.jpg
I believe I covered the problem right here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=415

On top of that, the Image G FX are not always up to par with the ILM FX.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 12:56 PM   #450
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Does anyone have HD Screencaps of the ten-forward scene from 'These are the Voyages' ? They would be our best indicator so far as to how TNG-HD might look as the Ten-forward scene with Riker and Troi was taken from Season 3's 'Menage a Troi'
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered, tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.