Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Cast No Shadow.
Outstanding 19 32.20%
Above Average 30 50.85%
Average 9 15.25%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29 2011, 07:28 PM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Cast No Shadow Review Thread

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Sorry, just not interested in this one. The time for this book was 10 years ago.
I have to disagree with you here. One of the things I've loved about Trek Lit is the fact that they do tend to jump around in the timeline alot.
I've moved beyond my interest in this part of the timeline. I don't mean to criticize this book or the author but this story seemed to come out of no where; I don't think the lost era has been visited in awhile. Is there much enthusiasm for this book?
I saw quite a few people post about how much they were looking forward to the book before it came out, and it was certainly one of my most anticipated books of the year. As for it coming "out of nowhere", I don't really see where it's any more "out of nowhere" than books like Watching the Clock, or Indistinguishable From Magic.
Old July 29 2011, 07:55 PM   #32
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The more I think about it, another problem I have with the book (and this is my own bias not necessary a problem for other readers) is that I think in their current form, Klingons are pretty much played out and that adds to the rather generic feel of the book. It will be interesting to see if the movies takes them in a different cultural direction than we have seen over the last 25 years.
I actually find myself curious about how a Kitumba-style Klingon Empire would have worked out long term. I'll be curious to see how much retconning Phase II does with Kitumba when they produce that script.

I do agree, though, about the Klingons. Only KRAD's Klingon Empire series makes them tolerable for me (but I must agree, I likey his stories!). I really enjoyed Pawns and Symbols... an interesting Klingon journey!

Rob+
Old July 29 2011, 08:10 PM   #33
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Just got my copy, and it is next after Vanguard Declassified is finished(about half way through it).
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 10:20 PM   #34
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Swallow's Titan novel Synthesis was great. Might have to pick this one up...
Old July 30 2011, 12:05 AM   #35
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

FWIW - My review is now up at trekmovie.com.

Rob+
Old July 30 2011, 12:16 AM   #36
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Swallow's Titan novel Synthesis was great. Might have to pick this one up...

I did LOVE Synthesis and am looking forward to more White-Blue.
Old July 30 2011, 09:11 AM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

FatherRob wrote: View Post
FWIW - My review is now up at trekmovie.com.

Rob+

Good stuff - this bit:

Gone is her (albeit flawed) logic seen in Star Trek VI, replaced by stereotypical childhood issues
is pretty much the heart of the problems with the book - we *know* the Federation-Klingon alliance works out because we've seen it but the characters don't or shouldn't - and a character who decides via (faulty) logic that this is the best cause of action and is still convinced of that would be more interesting (and from our vantage point, tragic) than the motivation we got. I think the back-story we get here makes the character less rather than more interesting.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 05:48 AM   #38
Jedi_Master
Commodore

FatherRob wrote: View Post
My biggest problem with the book, as mentioned above, is how clichéd Valeris's motivation is - it relies on not one but two over-used concepts within fiction - that of
. It's all makes perfect sense but it's been used so many times in the past, it's just retreading old ground. I can understand why those choices were made as it allows the character to move towards some form of redemption but truthfully it would have been fresher if the writer had moved the character in a different direction where she didn't give a shit about redemption.
I am not sure I would go so far as to say she cared super-deeply about redemption; IMO:

However, I have my own thoughts about how this matter, and I do plan to write about them, to an extent, in my review at TrekMovie.

I enjoyed the book, given the look into the long lost-era between the TOS era and the TNG era... but the more I think about it, the more critical my thinking gets, especially over the closing 100 or so pages.

Rob+

Look forward to reading the review. The more I think about it, another problem I have with the book (and this is my own bias not necessary a problem for other readers) is that in their current form, Klingons are pretty much played out and that adds to the rather generic feel of the book. It will be interesting to see if the movies takes them in a different cultural direction than we have seen over the last 25 years.
It is a bit tiresome to see the stereotypical idiot Klingon who puts his or her personal advancement before honor and what is "right".

But the book overall seemed to be telling a personal story about Valeris, tying in her journey to the overall plot.

I think that Swallow's handling of the forced mindmeld at the end of Star Trek:VI redeems any "stereotype" issues in the novel.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 10:45 AM   #39
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I think that Swallow's handling of the forced mindmeld at the end of Star Trek:VI redeems any "stereotype" issues in the novel.
I thought the 'resolution' of that was contrived to be honest.
Old August 1 2011, 12:38 PM   #40
EmperorKalan
Commander

A lot of John M. Ford and FASA bits in the Klingons' characterization and equipment, though not mentioned in the Acknowledgments.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 03:27 PM   #41
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

I thought the 'resolution' of that was contrived to be honest.
Ditto here... it's just another sterotype added to the mix. Granted, I can understand that stereotype far more than using the out that makes its way into the bulk of the story... and I can't see a way around said view of the forced meld (especially having just read Yesterday's Son last night!)

That begin said...

At least, in my opinion.

Rob+
Old August 1 2011, 03:28 PM   #42
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I finished it over the weekend and I thought it was very well done. I liked the parallels between Jack Ryan from the Hunt for Red October (move version) and Elias Vaughn (Next time Jack, write a goddamn memo) as it showed the beginning of the latter's career. Valeris was always a flawed character and regardless of the type of flaw it is, it will always be cliched because there are only so many flaws and therefore they are used all the time.

The terrorist plot was also interesting as it showed yet again how one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. I think the only way to stamp out terrorism is to understand why they do what they do and make them know that you understand and are willing to do something about it. The politics of this novel are great, with everything the bad guys have done swept under the rug so no one knows anything.

I do have one question though. We saw a Kriosian in TNG but was Krios independent by then or just left alone by the Klingons as a result of the events in the book?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 03:37 PM   #43
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
I finished it over the weekend... Valeris was always a flawed character and regardless of the type of flaw it is, it will always be cliched because there are only so many flaws and therefore they are used all the time.
All the more reason for a very different take (see the spoiler in my post above) on motivations for Valeris.

Rob+
Old August 1 2011, 09:17 PM   #44
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

You forget that

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:20 PM   #45
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
You forget that
But the problem is not with her being a vulcan but that the reasoning behind her motivation is maybe the most clichéd (just behind "I was abused as a child!") in modern fiction, her species is irrelevant in that regard, she could be a talking octopus for all the difference it makes to the use of that tired plot point.