Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?
A 13 22.81%
B 26 45.61%
C 12 21.05%
D 2 3.51%
F 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31 2011, 02:13 PM   #31
webb3201
Commander

Re: Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Did this beat The Smurfs?
no....the are neck and neck. Sunday would could perhaps see more family movie days, giving Smurfs the edge,
webb3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 06:53 PM   #32
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The estimates have Cowboys & Aliens in a projected tie for #1 at $36.2m with Smurfs. The Smurfs. I have a feeling with actuals that C&A will end up #2 due to the family factor and Sunday matinees.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 06:53 PM   #33
Hyperspace05
Commodore

I gave it an A. (would have been A- if the option existed)

I really liked it. Great acting, great effects, fun story. I also liked the relative low-tech nature of the aliens. A very fun merging of genres.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 08:47 PM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The estimates have Cowboys & Aliens in a projected tie for #1 at $36.2m with Smurfs. The Smurfs. I have a feeling with actuals that C&A will end up #2 due to the family factor and Sunday matinees.
Wow, that IS pretty sad. I never expected Cowboys to be huge, but I at least expected $40-50 million. Clearly the interest was just not there.

Either that or people got trailer fatigue from seeing the same damn ads again and again, and wanted nothing more to do with the movie. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 02:21 AM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I wanted to like the movie, but the script was pretty bad. I almost busted out laughing when it's revealed the aliens are after gold. Really, gold?
Old August 1 2011, 02:59 AM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

BillJ wrote: View Post
I wanted to like the movie, but the script was pretty bad. I almost busted out laughing when it's revealed the aliens are after gold. Really, gold?
Why not gold? They never said what they were doing with it.

Here's a generic theater question: how do they project them on screen these days? Do they still use reels, or is it just a big DVD projector?

The reason I ask is that during my show, the movie was skipping and freezing. It was like watching a scratched DVD. Really annoying!
Old August 1 2011, 03:14 AM   #37
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

It somehow seemed appropriate to me that a western with aliens was about a robbery, not an invasion.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 05:01 AM   #38
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote:
Why not gold? They never said what they were doing with it.
They needed it to fight the Cybermen.
Old August 1 2011, 05:52 AM   #39
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 06:06 AM   #40
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

I thought this was a great flick. I found the characters to be fun archetypes, each played really well. Rockwell had me genuinely laughing. Olivia Wilde was gorgeous and captivating as usual. She definitely looks how I'd want an alien chick to look au naturel. The action was pretty cool, too, good brawls, gunfights and all out firefights. The aliens were interesting, as opposed to the Super 8/Cloverfield retardedness I was dreading. Their tech was sweet and seemed used in a Star Wars/Firefly vein. Craig and Ford were awesome badasses, as expected. This is definitely the most fun I've had with a Ford movie in recent memory.

The upended riverboat dropped in the middle of the prairie was a great, unique backdrop and set. Overall, the film was visually striking. Ooh! And the streams of liquid gold were cool, too. As to that, I'm glad they don't say what the aliens want with the gold. Sure, they could mine practically anywhere in the Solar System, or better, their own home system more easily than fighting humans for it at the bottom of Earth's gravity well, but then we wouldn't have aliens and cowboys. The added kidnapping, mindwipe and live vivisection made the aliens all the more sinister and outright assholes you wanted to see get shot in the face with a Winchester. This was a solid western with a good integration of the sci-fi elements.

I don't know what else to say ... definitely worth the price of admission for me. I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

If you're thinking of letting professional critics talk you out of seeing this in the theatre, I'd like to speak up as a layman and say give it a chance.

A
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 07:00 AM   #41
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
It somehow seemed appropriate to me that a western with aliens was about a robbery, not an invasion.
Well, Ella said these were the scouts before the invasion.
Old August 1 2011, 08:24 AM   #42
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Why not? What would you prefer? Water?

If aliens come for any specific substance, a relatively rare but useful metal sure works better than the usual subjects that aliens seem to want that are plentiful throughout the solar system (and perhaps the universe). Minor rocky planets such as Earth are great places to find rare metals/minerals at low relative cost.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 03:00 PM   #43
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Well, Ella said these were the scouts before the invasion.
True, but apparently they were going to invade to take our gold. Still basically a robbery.

Another thing I got a kick out of was what a survivor the dog was.

Lonnegan kills the men it's traveling with, so it goes with him. It stays with him until it latches onto the boy probably figuring the boy would be the best one to care for it.

When the alien attacks the riverboat, the dog takes off. It later finds itself in the company of the outlaw gang until Lonnegan shows up again. It follows him til reunited with the boy.

At the end when Lonnegan leaves, the dog decides its best chance at survival is with the sheriff and the boy.

Talk about a character with a highly developed survival instinct.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 03:18 PM   #44
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Agreed.

It had Cowboys, and it had Aliens. And it was nice to see Indiana Solo back in action.

Not a great film, but I had a lot of fun.
I didn't see the film over the weekend but I did see the season premier of Ancient Aliens on Friday which interestingly enough dovetailed this season's first show with the old West.

Some at the marketing department at the HS channel is thinking in advance.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 03:45 PM   #45
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Not to distract the conversation too far from the film, but I'm curious as to where this is supposed to take place. And let me preface that, yes, I know it's fiction.

I don't know much about the comic, but the Wiki page says SC, Arizona. Some of the film's info pages say Arizona and some say New Mexico.

Historically, the NM territory which consisted of NM, AZ, and parts of UT and CO was divided on a north/south or UN/CON axis during the war. But after the war, the territories were divided into pretty much the present day states which puts Silver City was back in New Mexico. The film takes place a decade after the war. And, as far as I know, there is no Silver City AZ--at least not one with any significance.

I was just wondering if anyone knew as I'm a bit of a NM historian--not to suggest this has anything to do with history.
As I too, am in Nuevo Mexico, I was watching with interest. While the little mining town of Absolution has no historical place in New Mexico, it is referenced that the federal marshal was going to take Jake and Percy to Santa Fe. Were they in Arizona, they would have likely been taken to Tucson or Phoenix.

Gold was historically mined (with limited success) in various spots around the state, most notably in the mountains east of Albuquerque.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but perhaps not as much as I had hoped. My wife, who is not a fan of westerns at all, was not all that impressed.

I really liked that it had an authentically "western" feeling to it and that townsfolk and Native Americans reacted much as I imagine they probably would have in real life.