Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 30 2011, 04:52 AM   #31
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Lucasfilm's "Red Tails" Trailer Now Online

I saw that movie it was good war film.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 05:03 AM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kudos to Terrence Howard for delivering cornball dialogue and making it sound slightly like something any human being might have ever actually said.

Looks like a mega-corny movie that might just be rescued by the sincerity of the actors. I'll give it a shot. If I'm willing to check out Captain America, I can hardly turn my nose up at this.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 05:24 AM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, the gold standard for strategic bomber films is Twelve O'Clock High. I'll probably see Red Tails. I don't expect the gold standard to be threatened, but I do expect the dogfighting to remind me of Star Wars.

Speaking of WWII bomber films and Lucas, I recommend that fans of Star Wars (1977) check out The Dam Busters (1955). Dialog from the final battle is all but lifted verbatim for the Y-Wing trench run.
Old July 30 2011, 11:05 AM   #34
Yevetha
Commodore

by the trailer it looks mediocre and i already seem the Tuskegee filem so il pass this.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 11:56 AM   #35
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

According to Denofgeek.com, it is possible that Hemmingway was fired and Lucas took over. We will see.
Old July 30 2011, 11:59 AM   #36
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I don't care what anyone says, that thing looked SPECTACULAR.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
According to Denofgeek.com, it is possible that Hemmingway was fired and Lucas took over. We will see.
The official word is that Hemingway wasn't available for additional photography, and the rumours that Lucas wasn't satisfied with his work were false. If Lucas indeed had directed something, it's likely just a matter of mere minutes of screentime anyway. He could have mangled it in the post, though. I'll just hope for the best.
Old July 30 2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Yevetha
Commodore

I wish Lucas would make all those artsy movies he always wanted to make instead of messing up other peoples work.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 12:44 PM   #38
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
But based on the trailer, this one is almost an exact duplicate of it and, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen, this one does absolutely nothing to celebrate the actual people they're portraying. ].
Normally, I don't care, but just how in the hell did you get THAT out of that short trailer?
Easy.

Did you hear even a single syllable about them in the trailer? According to the trailer, they're just some random group of black pilots called the "Red Tails." It's even strongly hinted that its a work of fiction, as the only way you'd know otherwise is if you already knew.

And in regards to the people throwing their noses up in the air about people condemning a movie after a trailer, how is that any different from the people jacking off to it after a trailer?
Well sounds like you've made up your mind about what this film is or isn't based on a VERY short trailer with very little information to go on. But as I often say, different strokes for different folks. I don't understand where you're coming from at all, but I certainly respect your right to feel that way. And I certainly wouldn't want you to watch a film you don't like.

I don't know one way or another if I'm going to watch and like the film, I'm going to wait until I get some more information before I declare what this film is or isn't.
Old July 30 2011, 01:12 PM   #39
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

T'Baio wrote: View Post
In one way, it looks really great. In another, it's got that terrible digital/CGI sheen to it. Like the entire thing was shot on a green screen soundstage and not a single building ever existed.
It's a thing called cinema.
Old July 30 2011, 04:35 PM   #40
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I'll be checking it out, even if Lucas wasn't involved; and been talking up the project it seems forever. The contributions of black soldiers and other soldiers of color in WW2 and many other wars has been sorely lacking in terms of cinematic depictions. I'm interested to see what transpires.

I'm not understanding why people are using the fact that HBO came out with a movie about the Airmen over a decade ago as an excuse not to see this one. So, just because you've watched Saving Private Ryan means you shouldn't watch Flag of Our Fathers or Band of Brothers, for example? No one film can capture the definitive experience of war, or any group of soldiers. Should there never be another film about Native American soldiers because of Windtalkers? I'm curious to see Lucas's take on the history of the Airmen and their exploits.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 04:40 PM   #41
Checkmate
Commodore

DarKush wrote: View Post
I'm not understanding why people are using the fact that HBO came out with a movie about the Airmen over a decade ago as an excuse not to see this one.
I, personally, never said anything of the sort. I just pointed out that it's nearly identical to that movie as far as the storytelling is going and that the special effects -- the only thing that it would have going for it -- are obvious and kind of cheap looking. I also pointed out that they made absolutely no mention of what the movie is actually about, instead preferring to spin it as some kind of work of fiction instead, which is pretty damn insulting to the people it's supposed to be celebrating.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 05:02 PM   #42
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
I'm not understanding why people are using the fact that HBO came out with a movie about the Airmen over a decade ago as an excuse not to see this one.
I, personally, never said anything of the sort. I just pointed out that it's nearly identical to that movie as far as the storytelling is going and that the special effects -- the only thing that it would have going for it -- are obvious and kind of cheap looking. I also pointed out that they made absolutely no mention of what the movie is actually about, instead preferring to spin it as some kind of work of fiction instead, which is pretty damn insulting to the people it's supposed to be celebrating.
I don't know if they're trying to pass it off as fiction or if they are just trying to distance themselves from being compared to the other movie which is fairly well known (I think a lot of people who might not have watched it are familiar with what it is).

Even if not it doesn't have to be insulting, if people watched it as a story and then find out it was based on a real story that could be moving in its own way .
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 06:41 PM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I don't know if they're trying to pass it off as fiction
I would guess that in the trailer, the words "Inspired by TRUE EVENTS" are meant to imply that the movie was, you know, inspired by true events.
Old July 30 2011, 06:45 PM   #44
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Lucas is suppose to be a control freak.
Old July 30 2011, 07:09 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Commodore

Looks fantastic, I've been wanting to see a big budget WWII bomber/fighter film for a while now.

As for the CG, really guys? I mean it's not perfect yet, but it's a trailer, so I'm sure those aren't the final outputs for shots, but at the same time, it was pretty damn good. I think sometimes that no matter how real a shot looks, people will always say it looks CG because it IS CG, and they know it has to be, because no one still has a full operational squadron of B-17s in the world.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote