Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Lucasfilm's "Red Tails" Trailer Now Online

this has been in development so long i never thought it would get made. despite that, it looks very good.
Old July 29 2011, 10:02 PM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Because there can't be two movies about the Tuskegee Airmen?
There can be. But based on the trailer, this one is almost an exact duplicate of it and, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen, this one does absolutely nothing to celebrate the actual people they're portraying.

So not only is it a rehash, it's an insulting rehash with special effects -- the only thing it apparently has to offer -- that you can spot a mile away. Again, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen.
I find the inflationary overuse of the word "insulting" insulting.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

There can be. But based on the trailer, this one is almost an exact duplicate of it and, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen, this one does absolutely nothing to celebrate the actual people they're portraying.

So not only is it a rehash, it's an insulting rehash with special effects -- the only thing it apparently has to offer -- that you can spot a mile away. Again, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen.
You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions based on a trailer. I'd hope and expect that Anthony Hemingway (television director of The Wire and Treme, among others) would pick a project with a little more integrity for his directorial debut.

I did like the HBO film when I saw it about ten years ago, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 11:03 PM   #19
HotRod
Commander

I am detecting a faint hint of film snobbism.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 11:31 PM   #20
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

It's not unusual for people here to condemn a movie based on 2,5 minutes of a fast cut, energized trailer.. i'm used to that and i don't give a damn.

It is up to me to enjoy a movie and i can get as much enjoyment from a Michael Bay movie as i can from some arthouse flick.

I like the WW2 historical period and am playing games in that period, have read quite a bit about it and enjoy many WW2 movies and so i have seen The Tuskegee Airmen tv movie and enjoyed it a lot so i'll be pretty sure to enjoy that movie too if well done and not some collection of WW2 dogfights done with modern effects.
Old July 29 2011, 11:56 PM   #21
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Wow!
Old July 30 2011, 12:00 AM   #22
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

That looks pretty good, but one thing concerns me: "January 20, 2012." That's getting precariously close to the post-Academy Awards season late January/February release dates where studios like to dump films they think are stinkers.
Old July 30 2011, 12:40 AM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Because there can't be two movies about the Tuskegee Airmen?
Only if they both have Cuba Gooding, Jr in them. In fact, he must now be in any future movies about the Tuskegee Airmen.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 01:03 AM   #24
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

It looks good I'll go see it any idea when it's sopposed to be out?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 01:10 AM   #25
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

^
Did you watch the trailer?
Old July 30 2011, 01:27 AM   #26
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
That looks pretty good, but one thing concerns me: "January 20, 2012." That's getting precariously close to the post-Academy Awards season late January/February release dates where studios like to dump films they think are stinkers.
It's an odd time to drop such a film, however I believe that Lucas/Hemingway wanted to release it to coincide with Martin Luther King Day and then run into 'Black History Month' in February, so I don't think it's being "dumped" per se...

The thing I'm a little disappointed in, is that given this has been gestating for over 20 YEARS, Lucas himself isn't directing. This has been a passion of his since college and I find it a touch confuddling that he is not directing himself. Might be an odd thing to say given I feel his work on the SW Prequels to be mind bogglingly bad, yet... I'd love to see if he has another "American Graffiti" or "THX" in him, removed from the grandeur, pomp and expectations of the SW universe.

Still, Hemmingway is a wonderful character director, and given that trailer the action appears to be up to snuff. It's now all down to the story (Lucas) and the script (John Ridley, who is an unknown Movie quantity himself, having spent most of his time writing for melodramatic TV drama).

Guess we'll see in 6 months

Hugo - like Lucas, rather enjoys a good dogfight!
Old July 30 2011, 01:57 AM   #27
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

But based on the trailer, this one is almost an exact duplicate of it and, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen, this one does absolutely nothing to celebrate the actual people they're portraying. ].
Normally, I don't care, but just how in the hell did you get THAT out of that short trailer?
Old July 30 2011, 02:07 AM   #28
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
The thing I'm a little disappointed in, is that given this has been gestating for over 20 YEARS, Lucas himself isn't directing. This has been a passion of his since college and I find it a touch confuddling that he is not directing himself.
Lucas did do at least some re-shoots while Hemingway was otherwise occupied with Treme.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 04:01 AM   #29
Checkmate
Commodore

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
But based on the trailer, this one is almost an exact duplicate of it and, unlike The Tuskegee Airmen, this one does absolutely nothing to celebrate the actual people they're portraying. ].
Normally, I don't care, but just how in the hell did you get THAT out of that short trailer?
Easy.

Did you hear even a single syllable about them in the trailer? According to the trailer, they're just some random group of black pilots called the "Red Tails." It's even strongly hinted that its a work of fiction, as the only way you'd know otherwise is if you already knew.

And in regards to the people throwing their noses up in the air about people condemning a movie after a trailer, how is that any different from the people jacking off to it after a trailer?
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 04:37 AM   #30
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
And Terrance Howard played a similar role in "Harts War". He and another pilot got shot down and held in a German prison camp.

Both black pilots had to deal with racism in the POW camp.
Never saw that, is it any good?

You'd think a POW camp would be the one place where people would set aside their differences and realize they were all in it together, but apparently not.
I thought it was an okay movie. It's worth at least a rental

Here's a scene where Howard enters