RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,746
Posts: 5,215,915
Members: 24,215
Currently online: 793
Newest member: rpoe0728

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 29 2011, 03:55 PM   #226
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
You say that like they couldn't do another movie. Fortunately, they can.
Yeah but it will fail. Cap in modern times doesn't work. I remember in the 90's when people called Cap irrelevant and obsolete compared to the anti-social psychopaths that were popular then (Wolverine and the Punisher). What's acceptable in the past just doesn't translate to present.

Seriously does Cap have any moral relevance in a country where the majority supports torture and half the country hates the president because of the color of his skin. You know what kind of controversy you would generate if you sent Cap to fight Islamic terrorists.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:00 PM   #227
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Hence, why it got a full movie before putting him in the the modern day, where 50+ years of his stories have been primarily set.
Everybody has complained that the last half of the movie (where Cap is you know heroic) felt rushed. That's the whole point

Probably not a huge amount; hence, why Cap sequels will be very useful for that.
You know harsh audience would react to that. They be yelling "Get over it loser". Critics will be wondering why Cap has issues when he shown none during Avengers. It'll be a mess.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:02 PM   #228
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
You say that like they couldn't do another movie. Fortunately, they can.
Yeah but it will fail. Cap in modern times doesn't work. I remember in the 90's when people called Cap irrelevant and obsolete compared to the anti-social psychopaths that were popular then (Wolverine and the Punisher). What's acceptable in the past just doesn't translate to present.

Seriously does Cap have any moral relevance in a country where the majority supports torture and half the country hates the president because of the color of his skin. You know what kind of controversy you would generate if you sent Cap to fight Islamic terrorists.
Fail? Current ticket sales say otherwise. The rest of your rant here is irrelevant.
__________________
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:04 PM   #229
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
You know harsh audience would react to that. They be yelling "Get over it loser". Critics will be wondering why Cap has issues when he shown none during Avengers. It'll be a mess.
You presume that he won't be showing any issues in The Avengers, whereas the teaser suggested the opposite is true. The sequel can simply have more spacev to explore them and hopefully have him find a bit of happiness in the new world (probably involving Peggy's hot grand-niece).
Yminale wrote: View Post
Yeah but it will fail. Cap in modern times doesn't work.
He's been working in modern times for 50 years now.
Seriously does Cap have any moral relevance in a country where the majority supports torture and half the country hates the president because of the color of his skin.
Oh come now. He came from a time when Obama would have had to use separate bathroom facilities in much of the country.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:06 PM   #230
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Fail? Current ticket sales say otherwise. The rest of your rant here is irrelevant.
First past results do not guarantee future success.

Second we're talking about a totally different movie

Third you haven't proven that audiences will accept a Cap movie set in modern times.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:08 PM   #231
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Third you haven't proven that audiences will accept a Cap movie set in modern times.
The fact that the character has been depicted in modern times with huge success in multiple media for going on 50 years now suggests it shouldn't be a problem. Particularly since The Avengers will already have him in modern times.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:10 PM   #232
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

I'm pretty sure fans are excited about "Captain America 2" and "Avengers" which one can logically assume will be set in modern times. Who is "everyone" when you talk about complaining the second movie felt rushed? I certainly did not think that.

Yiminale, as passionate as you seem to be about this particular argument I'm afraid you most likely will not get anyone to agree with you no matter how hard you continue to press your point.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:11 PM   #233
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Fail? Current ticket sales say otherwise. The rest of your rant here is irrelevant.
First past results do not guarantee future success.

Second we're talking about a totally different movie

Third you haven't proven that audiences will accept a Cap movie set in modern times.
First, life's a bitch that way, but the current movie's success makes a sequel quite likely.

Second, who knows what your talking about?

Third, I don't have to prove anything, it's Marvel's game and The Avengers is next up.
__________________
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:19 PM   #234
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
You presume that he won't be showing any issues in The Avengers, whereas the teaser suggested the opposite is true.
If it's touched at all it'll be a blink and you'll miss it moment.

Alternatively, I really don't remember Cap being in the future was a big deal to him. He just rolled with it.

He's been working in modern times for 50 years now.
Cap was considered outdated 50 years ago. Sure he has a strong following but it's never been huge like Spider-man or Wolverine.

Oh come now. He came from a time when Obama would have had to use separate bathroom facilities in much of the country.
And half the country think that it was a good idea. Honestly do you really think modern Americans are going to respond to Cap's belief in freedom, equality and social justice. Most people would laugh at him and call him outdated if not ignoring him.

Like I said what works set in WWII won't work in the modern era.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:25 PM   #235
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure fans are excited about "Captain America 2" and "Avengers" which one can logically assume will be set in modern times. Who is "everyone" when you talk about complaining the second movie felt rushed? I certainly did not think that.
The critics and many of the posters on this thread and others. It's really the only serious flaw in an excellent film.

Yminale, as passionate as you seem to be about this particular argument I'm afraid you most likely will not get anyone to agree with you no matter how hard you continue to press your point.
I don't care if anyone agrees with me and I know the course is set. What I won't be is browbeaten to accept the current course is optimal.

Marvel had a chance to make something great with Cap and instead they decided to make him another comic book action star. Their loss.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:30 PM   #236
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

The only part of the film that felt a bit rushed to me was the taking down of Hydra. It came across as if they were just knocking over their installations one by one without any serious resistance or setbacks.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:33 PM   #237
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
First, life's a bitch that way, but the current movie's success makes a sequel quite likely.
The sequel is already in the works. My point is that it won't succeed like the first movie.

Third, I don't have to prove anything, it's Marvel's game and The Avengers is next up.
Bowing to authority is the worse argument you can make. Just because someone is set in their course of action doesn't mean you can't criticize.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:37 PM   #238
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
First, life's a bitch that way, but the current movie's success makes a sequel quite likely.
The sequel is already in the works. My point is that it won't succeed like the first movie.

Third, I don't have to prove anything, it's Marvel's game and The Avengers is next up.
Bowing to authority is the worse argument you can make. Just because someone is set in their course of action doesn't mean you can't criticize.
So, your opinion masquerading as fact is the be all and end all that we and Marvel should adhere to?
__________________
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:37 PM   #239
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Alternatively, I really don't remember Cap being in the future was a big deal to him. He just rolled with it.
It's been a fairly major theme with the character.
Cap was considered outdated 50 years ago. Sure he has a strong following but it's never been huge like Spider-man or Wolverine.
Most characters don't. So what?
Honestly do you really think modern Americans are going to respond to Cap's belief in freedom, equality and social justice.
They seem to be responding well to him so far.

Moreover, the whole damn point of Captain America is that he's "out of time" and arrives in an age that is more cynical than his own in some ways. What you're describing is the crux of his character conflict, a concept that is played with in numerous movies already. Audiences will already be introduced to him a modern setting in The Avengers.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 04:44 PM   #240
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Yminale wrote: View Post
Seriously does Cap have any moral relevance in a country where the majority supports torture and half the country hates the president because of the color of his skin.
What a fail statement. You only show your own narrow minded bigotry with such a statement. Half the country, let me guess ALL Republicans. Dislike wouldn't possibly be tied AT ALL to his and his parties policies or vision. No, not at all HALF dislike him cause he's black. Puuuulease.


Seriously guys Yminale just needs to be ignored at this point. His passion and views on this aren't serving any purpose.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avengers, captain america, marvel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.