Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 12 2011, 04:17 PM   #16
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Finally have time to start watching nuWho!

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
You guys are seriously lucky then.
Depends in where you were... Boston is one of the PBS flagship stations, so they could afford it -- at least then. Our local PBS station in Hartford ran them for a while too but couldn't afford them in the end.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:29 AM   #17
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Dalek was great, and CE was pretty scary at times... "You would make a good Dalek" was a great line. I'm looking forward to seeing the Daleks in the later episodes and learning more about the Last Time War. I'm sure others have commented on the similarities between Henry van Statten and Henry Starling from VOY, sort of crossed with TNG's Kivas Fajo. Seeing him getting brainwiped and dumped was awesome.

The Long Game was more standard, the main interest for me was seeing a companion blow it so spectacularly.

And that summary of companions' families was great, but I was actually thinking just narrowly in terms of the effects of people just vanishing from their regular lives for a while given the TARDIS' legendary finickiness about precision hops. Many of the old Who companions were fleeing unpleasant or totally wrecked lives from what I remember... as a pure experience junkie [hence her attractiveness to the Doctor] who just goes off from a regular life for the hell of it Rose is pretty uncommon IIRC.
Old July 13 2011, 04:42 AM   #18
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Dalek was great, and CE was pretty scary at times... "You would make a good Dalek" was a great line. I'm looking forward to seeing the Daleks in the later episodes and learning more about the Last Time War. I'm sure others have commented on the similarities between Henry van Statten and Henry Starling from VOY, sort of crossed with TNG's Kivas Fajo. Seeing him getting brainwiped and dumped was awesome.

The Long Game was more standard, the main interest for me was seeing a companion blow it so spectacularly.

And that summary of companions' families was great, but I was actually thinking just narrowly in terms of the effects of people just vanishing from their regular lives for a while given the TARDIS' legendary finickiness about precision hops. Many of the old Who companions were fleeing unpleasant or totally wrecked lives from what I remember... as a pure experience junkie [hence her attractiveness to the Doctor] who just goes off from a regular life for the hell of it Rose is pretty uncommon IIRC.
I think Rose embodies several of Ace's humble roots traits.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Klaus
Rear Admiral

I never saw any of McCoy's episodes, so I only know Ace by name, unfortunately... but thanks. From reading up on her she sounds cool.
Old July 13 2011, 04:55 AM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I never saw any of McCoy's episodes, so I only know Ace by name, unfortunately... but thanks.
Oh, and Ace was fleeing a rougher life than Rose, just they had similar personality traits.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2011, 09:50 AM   #21
Starkers
Admiral

Well a lot of classic companions end up with the Doctor by chance more than anything; Ian and Barbara, Tegan, and Rose is fleeing something, she's fleeing a very ordinary very humdrum existance.

And yes it was a nice twist...

The first time anyway

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2011, 04:47 AM   #22
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Just watched "Father's Day"... I liked it, though the solution was pretty obvious, especially when the car kept looping by. The Doctor's wistfulness about not ever having a life like the married couple's was very interesting and nicely done. The go-back-and-change-things idea is one that more Companions probably should have thought of before, even if it isn't a good idea. It makes Rose's eventual departure to find Dad [and yes I do know about that lol] quite sensible in its own way.

I hope to get to "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" tomorrow... but I need to go read some of A Dance With Dragons now.
Old July 28 2011, 05:22 AM   #23
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Yep, I would watch those two (and probably any 2 parter) back-2-back.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 10:03 PM   #24
Iamnotspock
Captain

It makes Rose's eventual departure to find Dad [and yes I do know about that lol] quite sensible in its own way.
Well, not exactly...
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 03:13 PM   #25
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Maybe I misunderstood, but I'll find out when I get there...
Old December 5 2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Well I finally got some time -- watched "The Empty Child", "The Doctor Dances", "Boom Town", "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of the Ways" this weekend to wrap up the Eccleston era.

Good grief but he was awesome as the Doctor, a tiger indeed and delightfully goofy at the same time. I like Capt. Jack a lot, hope he's around for a while. [nice of Rose to revive him lol] CE was great as both the manic and the deadly Doctor, which is not easy... Rose floating through the Blitz on a barrage balloon was over-the-top but a really funny idea, and even across the pond I got the joke about the Doc not paying his license fee ... I liked that the finale brought it back to "The Long Game" and deepened it as originally that was my least favorite story of the season -- now, of course, I see that the fact that it came after "Dalek" was no coincidence. Also liked the way "Boom Town" followed up on "The Aliens of London" and "WW Three" as well, giving that story some more punch and telling me not to judge an ep before some time has gone by and seeing how it fits in. I called Rose's union w/the TARDIS as the way back to the future, and it's cool having it be a character in and of itself, as it were. Not sure what my favorite ep was, probably "The Doctor Dances"...

Now that I'm going again, hopefully more progress soon!
Old December 7 2011, 04:17 AM   #27
Klaus
Rear Admiral

OK, watched "The Christmas Invasion" and "New Earth"... whilst pining for Eccleston I do like Tennant, we're definitely into Tigger-instead-of-tiger territory, no doubt about that! The Xmas special had some amusing moments [loved the spinning killer tree] and the end was very interesting. "New Earth" did the old body-swap bit pretty well, especially the back-and-forth with the Doctor and Rose. I was a little skeptical about how quickly Cassandra got nice after entering Chip's body at the end, but it must have been his influence. I'm digging how the show goes back to previous episodes, weaving an arc even when it doesn't seem like it is. It encourages one to pay attention!

I like a lot of the little details, like Rose's mom turning around before the TARDIS dematerializes so she won't see it go. I also like that it's trying to make us think about the consequences of things.
Old December 7 2011, 05:15 AM   #28
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I gotta ask. What US station showed any Hartnell or Troughton episodes ever.

PBS Chicago had some Pertwee and I'm not sure they even showed his first or second season, but it has been a long time.

I know they never showed the first 2 docs here (in Chicago), outside of The Three Doctors or The Five Doctors or The Two Doctors.
Denver PBS showed all the classic Doctors.
Old December 7 2011, 08:26 AM   #29
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Welcome, Klaus! I'm glad you are enjoying watching the new episodes. I'm enjoying reading your thoughts, too. I am about to treat myself to seasons 3 & 4 for Christmas, and start an epic watch through. I miss the Tiger and Tigger eras.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 08:51 AM   #30
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

At this point, I have to point to my signature.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote