Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 23 2011, 11:41 PM   #31
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Halo 4 & Halo Remastered

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Summary: Instead of taking the time to put effort into this "gift to the fans", we've decided to have two fucking game engines running at the same time, while not even bothering to implement improvements to the original code after a decade of successor games. And half-assed Co-op that was already in the original game.

Enjoy the processor and ass rape, Halo fans.

I'm so glad I stopped playing after H2. If they spent more than 5 months on this I'd be shocked.
Yeah, they at least could have made the AR behave like a real AR and make the Library a lot less repetitive. But whatever, I'm not buying another Halo after the fail that was H3.
Old July 24 2011, 12:50 AM   #32
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Summary: Instead of taking the time to put effort into this "gift to the fans",
How do you know they didn't put enough effort into what they set out to do?

we've decided to have two fucking game engines running at the same time,
Right, the original engine plus the new graphics engine. They did that to keep the gameplay faithful to the original game while having newer graphics. I'm no expert in the field, so you have to tell me how that's a bad thing.

while not even bothering to implement improvements to the original code after a decade of successor games.
That's like saying they "didn't even bother" to completely rewrite the story. Why would they? It wouldn't be the same game if they did that. Same here. The whole point of this game is that it plays exactly like the original, just with improved graphics.

And half-assed Co-op
Could you explain what's half-assed about it?

that was already in the original game.
Xbox Live co-op was not in the original.

Enjoy the processor and ass rape, Halo fans.
How do you know it will be particularly hard on the console's processor? Has someone come out with a report on that?

And as far as "ass rape" goes, there would no doubt be many who would describe it similarly if 343 decided alter the gameplay as you suggested.

I'm so glad I stopped playing after H2. If they spent more than 5 months on this I'd be shocked.
Ok. So what if it took only 5 months? If that's how long it took to make it, that's how long it took to make. I think the condition of the final product is what really matters.

bullethead wrote: View Post
Yeah, they at least could have made the AR behave like a real AR and make the Library a lot less repetitive.
They only could have done that if they wanted to do a remake. But it's supposed to be the same game, for better or worse.

Last edited by Chris3123; July 24 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 02:32 PM   #33
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Dac wrote: View Post
As for ODST, it was a bit on the short side, but I loved the story, and I replayed that campaign multiple times and gathered all the audio logs. Sure, perhaps it shouldn't have been full priced but I certainly got a lot of enjoyment from it. More so than other games I've purchased I'll tell you that.
I still maintain that ODST being full-price was 100% justified (even if you had already purchased all of Halo 3's multiplayer map packs).

The campaign was long (and different*!) enough and of a high enough quality to justify the price point, IMHO.

*(read: hub-world)
Im gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp. Oh really? Thats great because Im gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because youre subhuman trash, Mr. Mayor!
Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 05:27 PM   #34
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

*orgasms*
Im gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp. Oh really? Thats great because Im gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because youre subhuman trash, Mr. Mayor!
Jeff Gerstmann
Old July 24 2011, 09:07 PM   #35
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Right, the original engine plus the new graphics engine. They did that to keep the gameplay faithful to the original game while having newer graphics. I'm no expert in the field, so you have to tell me how that's a bad thing.

That's like saying they "didn't even bother" to completely rewrite the story. Why would they? It wouldn't be the same game if they did that. Same here. The whole point of this game is that it plays exactly like the original, just with improved graphics.
Dude, you have no fucking memory of how limited the original game is compared to the rest of the series is, do you?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there's my answer.

Xbox Live wasn't around when Halo was launched, and because it lacks multiplayer bots, you had to actually link multiple systems together to have a multiplayer match.

Guess what you still won't be able to do with Halo Anniversary Edition? Even given the "choice" they had between online co-op and online multiplayer, they went with the dumbest option possible, given that you can only play with one other person in Campaign co-op, which isn't so much a "gift" to old-time fans as a clone of the same game I already have sitting next to my still-hooked up Xbox.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 09:24 PM   #36
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

Dude, you have no fucking memory of how limited the original game is compared to the rest of the series is, do you?
Jeff Gerstmann
Old July 25 2011, 04:20 AM   #37
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

This really doesn't help at all. You give me the WTF smiley, but don't bother to tell me what about the quote gave you that reaction.

Actually, I have perfect memory of how limited the game is.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there's my answer.
Not the correct one, apparently.

Xbox Live wasn't around when Halo was launched,
I am quite aware of that. I never said it was.

and because it lacks multiplayer bots, you had to actually link multiple systems together to have a multiplayer match.
I am well aware of that too.

Guess what you still won't be able to do with Halo Anniversary Edition? Even given the "choice" they had between online co-op and online multiplayer, they went with the dumbest option possible, given that you can only play with one other person in Campaign co-op, which isn't so much a "gift" to old-time fans as a clone of the same game I already have sitting next to my still-hooked up Xbox.
That it's a "clone" of the original is the whole point. It's supposed to be the same game (the campaign, anyway), just with updated graphics and other minor bits. They could have made it "better", but then it wouldn't be the same game. I must admit that I'd love to try a more tweaked version, but I understand why they wanted to stay faithful to the original.

I do admit though that I'm disappointed that they didn't include Live muliplayer.

Last edited by Chris3123; July 25 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old July 26 2011, 01:28 AM   #38
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

That it's a "clone" of the original is the whole point. It's supposed to be the same game (the campaign, anyway), just with updated graphics and other minor bits. They could have made it "better", but then it wouldn't be the same game. I must admit that I'd love to try a more tweaked version, but I understand why they wanted to stay faithful to the original.

I do admit though that I'm disappointed that they didn't include Live muliplayer.
I can say is that I'm a little disgusted at how little effort 343 is putting into a port of a last-generation game that's going to be used to gouge the fans for shits and giggles. Don't even start trying to excuse the $60 price by mentioning the Reach-engine-powered H1 multiplayer maps (which they haven't been entirely clear about being able to play with or without Reach itself.)

I'm not exaggerating or embellishing when I say that the 343 team is deliberately underestimating what Halo fans want and accept in an anniversary edition of a decade-long gaming franchise, because they body language and tone telegraph that they know this will make money regardless of how little effort they put into it. The kind of reception I'm seeing from the Halo community infuriates me; a fan who parted ways with the franchise back in H2/H3, and who hasn't really been vocal about anything till now.

Certainly a continuous, decade-long game series, one that unequivocally created the western gaming community overnight, and single-handedly saved the XBOX from commercial disaster. Oh yeah, and it cemented Microsoft as a gaming juggernaut that is truly Nintendo's rival, both in terms of capital and cultural background.

That deserves more than an over-priced, half-assed port.

Old July 26 2011, 02:12 AM   #39
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

[...] Don't even start trying to excuse the $60 price [...]
What $60 price? It's $40.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 02:25 AM   #40
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

That's news to me. No excuse but, still.

Old July 27 2011, 10:52 PM   #41
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I can say is that I'm a little disgusted at how little effort 343 is putting into a port of a last-generation game that's going to be used to gouge the fans for shits and giggles.
I get ya.

Don't even start trying to excuse the $60 price by mentioning the Reach-engine-powered H1 multiplayer maps (which they haven't been entirely clear about being able to play with or without Reach itself.)
Even the $40 price is pushing it.

I'm not exaggerating or embellishing when I say that the 343 team is deliberately underestimating what Halo fans want and accept in an anniversary edition of a decade-long gaming franchise,
To be fair, I'm sure there'd be many fans who would make a fuss if 343 did significantly alter the game. Just look back at the reactions to the Star Wars Special Editions.

because they body language and tone telegraph that they know this will make money regardless of how little effort they put into it.
That's unfortunately true.

The kind of reception I'm seeing from the Halo community infuriates me; a fan who parted ways with the franchise back in H2/H3, and who hasn't really been vocal about anything till now.
I can understand where you are coming from. A lot of people probably judge it mainly just for what is there in the game, rather than what could be.

Certainly a continuous, decade-long game series, one that unequivocally created the western gaming community overnight, and single-handedly saved the XBOX from commercial disaster. Oh yeah, and it cemented Microsoft as a gaming juggernaut that is truly Nintendo's rival, both in terms of capital and cultural background.
Can't argue with that.

That deserves more than an over-priced, half-assed port.
True. However, I still consider the game being faithful to the original as a positive thing at least to some degree.
Old July 27 2011, 11:20 PM   #42
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

will they nerf the shotgun?
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2011, 01:55 AM   #43
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
will they nerf the shotgun?
Nope. Gameplay is going to be exactly the same. The only difference in the campaign is a graphical overhaul and cleanup of the audio.
Old July 29 2011, 04:30 PM   #44
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

cleanup of the audio.
Which is an often overlooked biggie in the feature list of Halo: Anniversary, even among fans of the original game.

Especially when it comes to the oftentimes completely hilarious banter of your Marine companions; better audio quality = more fun
Jeff Gerstmann
Old August 5 2011, 02:35 AM   #45
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

As of August 2, Bungie is no longer in control of Halo.

The final ViDoc: