Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure. For toys. But if that's all they were targeting, they'd probably get Michael Bay to direct it.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly think they're targeting teenagers but are also making it accessible to watch for all ages. I dunno. I've always been of the belief that Spider-Man is for everyone, maybe that's a naive outlook to have though for a film. Especially this one.

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the Marvel rights thing's complex, but what it basically boils down to is; Spider-Man stuff is with Columbia. Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men and Fantastic 4 is with Fox. the rest is with Marvel.

where there's overlap, like the Bugle and Ben Urich, it gets complicated. The Bugle is part of Spidey, but Urich was in Daredevil and he worked for another fictional paper.

theoretically, the X-Men could fight Doom, Daredevil could fight Magneto and the F4 could fight Kingpin, but i can't see that happening.

4. Admiral_Young

5. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Spider-Man. The film is going to do well. It has the appeal of something new and exciting with a brand-new cast and look. It might not make as much as the previous movies, but the curiosity level will probably help it quite a bit at the box office.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

True. The film could be two hours of this, and it will still make 700 million dollars.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yeah, but I want my ten year old to have a better Spider-Man movie than Raimi's. I'm like the only guy who had the guts to admit he didn't like Raimi's take. I feel as vindicated as those Philistine's who hated Ang Lee's Hulk did when the Edward Norton version came out.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Uh, hokay... Raimi neatly caught the original sensibilities of Spider-Man and those comics. He essentially did a very respectful job of it. But instead you'd rather have something of a Nolan-esque representation which isn't what the original comics were like.

9. Broccoli

Where did Admiral James Kirk mention he wanted a Nolan-style Spider-Man?

10. Admiral_Young

It would be incorrect to call Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man "a Nolan-esque representation" if that is what Warped9 is attempting to imply. I would really recommend reading a couple of Webb's interviews regarding his intention for this movie. It will give a better idea of what it will be like in tone and style.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If Raimi wanted to do Silver Age Spider-Man (and succeeded) I don't see why Marc Webb can't make his Spider-Man more based on the darker 80s comics period or other eras. They're all just as valid as the Lee/Ditko or Lee/Romita times.

12. Admiral_Young

Who says he's not taking from all Spider-Man continuity? People (including myself) seem to think he's reducing himself to just one segment of Spider-Man's history. No one said anything about any era not being valid.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think I'm just getting tired of origin stories in general. These superheroes have been around and have been popular for so long that, if you don't know their backstory by now, you probably don't care to. I'd love a superhero movie that just dives right into an established world without worrying about how the heroes got started.

Spider Man already had an origin movie less than a decade ago. I don't need or want another one, even if they do things differently.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I would watch a two-hour movie of that. :shrug:

15. Broccoli

Case in point!

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More like Spider-Bear!

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

The last picture has been posted somewhere in the thread before. I think it was Sammy who posted it, and I wanna say it was included in the trailer...but I've seen it before. I guess I'm reminded of the subway sequence in "Spider-Man 2".

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

All of those pictures came out in Entertainment Weekly July's issue.

20. Admiral_Young

^ Yep and as I mentioned you posted most if not all of them as they came out.