Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 14 2011, 01:03 AM   #391
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
...this is supposed to be a restoration project, not a remake.
This.
Old July 15 2011, 01:42 AM   #392
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Patiently waiting....
Old July 15 2011, 01:43 AM   #393
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
...this is supposed to be a restoration project, not a remake.
This.
Its whatever they want to make
Old July 15 2011, 12:01 PM   #394
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Indeed. I don't think they particularly want to reframe every single second of footage, so they probably won't.

Will we get more info on this project at Comic-Con?
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 08:55 AM   #395
Jefferies
Captain

Indeed. I don't think they particularly want to reframe every single second of footage, so they probably won't.

Your guess is as good as ours. So far there hasn't been as much as a peep from CBS about any of this. We have only heard from people who have talked to other people who describe themselves as insiders at CBS. So far, our wishful thinking is the only thing we can be truely sure of regarding TNG remastered.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 01:06 PM   #396
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

milo bloom wrote: View Post
A couple of tricks: when you bring home a new TV turn the brightness down. A little more. Little more. Keep going. Little bit more. Little more. And... a little bit more. Seriously, TVs come from the manufacturer with the brightness set to "torch" mode, so that if a store pulls one out to be a floor model, it will look good under the harsh flourescent lighting. The lighting in your home is a different beast.
Now, after you've turned down the brightness, leave it down for a week or two of regular watching. Then, and only then, start easing it back up a hair here and there. If you really want to get it right, look for one of those DVDs that will walk you through all the brightness and contrast settings on your TV and surround sound setup. Some DVDs even have a THX calibration function that will move you in the right direction.

Second, adjust the lighting in the room your TV is in. One trick is to have soft lights behind the TV so that the changing brightness of scenes on the TV doesn't let your eyes focus on the black bars. My TV is actually in our basement, and I was watching in total darkness, with the TV's brightness adjusted, and I would have sworn I was watching on a 4x3 screen.

These tweaks will really help your viewing experience, and if not, then you just need to learn to watch the material and not the black bars

Ub Iwerks if anyone cares.
Although far more resistant these days with the quality brands, Plasma displays are still susceptible to uneven phosphor ware - particularly in the first few hundred hours of use. It is always advisable to reduce contrast to 50% or less in this period.

I would then adivise calibration with a disc like Digital_Video_Essentials. If you want to get close to reference standard and lose "bluey whites" I'd recommend going with a PDP which includes THX mode (many Panasonics have it). In any case, get your displays the hell out of "Vivid" or "Dynamic" mode ASAP! Why do people equate high contrast and gaudy colours with "good" picture quality.

Sans THX, I'd choose Cinema Warm on Panasonics. I'm sure other sets have similar.

Beyond this, it is inadvisable to view a high percentage of letter/pillarboxed material on a PDP - just feed your set a "varied diet" of material and you need not worry.
Old July 25 2011, 01:19 AM   #397
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post

Your guess is as good as ours. So far there hasn't been as much as a peep from CBS about any of this. We have only heard from people who have talked to other people who describe themselves as insiders at CBS. So far, our wishful thinking is the only thing we can be truely sure of regarding TNG remastered.
This is true but I am willing to bet its in some stage of prep/production right now...it may be they r waiting till one or two episodes are finished so they can see how successful they were.
Old July 26 2011, 08:10 PM   #398
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

From the Digital Bits:

Multiple sources I spoke with at Comic-Con have also confirmed our report from earlier this year that CBS is hard at work on Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered for Blu-ray release starting sometime in 2012. The latest word is that 4 test episodes are currently being worked on for release as a sampler/demo BD disc of the project, and that sampler disc will somehow be available to fans by the end of this year. Watch for additional news in the months ahead.
Old July 26 2011, 08:40 PM   #399
LitmusDragon
Commodore

^ Huzzah!

:beer :
Old July 26 2011, 08:40 PM   #400
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
From the Digital Bits:
link please for this new ComicCon update quote.

4 test episodes are currently being worked on for release as a sampler/demo BD disc
precisely what I suggested 2 years ago:
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Perhaps if a fan-collective of 8 episodes were done as a test in HD for Blu-ray it could be director's cuts of a few? Would that be enough to get people to buy them in HD?
Director's cuts aside (it will be the same old episode with updated VFX) I guess due to the cost 4 episodes will cost them plenty and they want to sell them and guage interest in the series completion. What do you want to bet one of those episodes is Best of Both Worlds?
Knowing Paramount though they want your money so they will do it. On the other hand if they exclude it than it will force you to buy a whole season TNG-R Blu-ray to get the 2-parter episode...

also of note from 5/9/11 The Digital Bits
our industry sources have finally begun hinting that TNG Remastered IS moving forward
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 09:00 PM   #401
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

From the Digital Bits:
link please for this new ComicCon update quote.
It's in today's daily column, so it's right on the front page.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 09:12 PM   #402
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Knowing Paramount though they want your money so they will do it. On the other hand if they exclude it than it will force you to buy a whole season TNG-R Blu-ray to get the 2-parter episode...
Two seasons.

The problem with putting fan-favorites like "Best of Both Worlds" on the sampler disc is that some people will be happy with just those few issues and will never move on to buying the complete series. (Maybe they'll make up for people like me who want the whole series and won't buy a best-of? )

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 09:16 PM   #403
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Now I'm dying to know which episodes.

I was pretty skeptical of this projects as originally announced (by end of year, via Netflix, etc). This latest info sounds much more plausible.

I for one will shell out for all the seasons again unless they screw it up terribly.
Old July 26 2011, 10:24 PM   #404
Harvey
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
The problem with putting fan-favorites like "Best of Both Worlds" on the sampler disc is that some people will be happy with just those few issues and will never move on to buying the complete series. (Maybe they'll make up for people like me who want the whole series and won't buy a best-of? )
How is this a problem? If there are fans who only want to spend a little bit of money to have a few episodes, it stands to reason that they just would choose not to shell out at all for the more expensive, entire season sets.

This way, Paramount is able to earn money from casual fans who won't buy the complete series, and they're also able to earn money from die hards who are so impatient they'll double dip on the HD episodes just to have a look at them.

In response to jefferiestubes8, this doesn't look like an attempt to gauge audience interest to me -- just an attempt to cash in on some of their early work via the home video market rather than wait around for the entire series to be completed (assuming, of course, that they do the episodes out of order like they did with the original series, in order to space out visual effects heavy episodes in the production schedule).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2011, 12:25 AM   #405
RAMA
Vice Admiral

HELL YEAH! Now what did my post say right before the Digital Bits news eh?

RAMA