Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 22 2011, 03:06 PM   #31
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

I will definitely not try it, even though or maybe exactly because I'm convinced it will be a very good if not great MMORPG.

Playing WoW starting with the early Betas and then again from launch for about 2 years, I've kinda had my fill with the genre, you know?

I tend to get very competitive when it comes to MMOs which means they become quite time-consuming and... let's say, less than healthy in more ways than one.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 11:46 PM   #32
Yevetha
Commodore

http://www.youtube.com/user/Republic...AD0445F86C4754

Comic con sesseion and trailer.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 03:36 AM   #33
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Pre-ordered my CE today.

It's exciting and disheartening at the same time.
Old July 26 2011, 05:02 AM   #34
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Why disheartening?
Old July 26 2011, 05:18 AM   #35
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Yevetha wrote: View Post
That youtube page is a little scary. I'd laugh if the game turns out to be terrible.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 06:56 AM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Why disheartening?
Cuz it's still 4-5 months before I can use it.
Old July 26 2011, 04:40 PM   #37
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

^^^ Ah yes. Understood.
Old July 31 2011, 10:55 AM   #38
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Tried to preorder from the email I got and was told it wasn't available in my region.

Definitely will be dropping WoW and trying ToR for a couple months.. or knowing me leaving the WoW sub running anyway. I'm looking fwd to it.

Last time I spent some time on the ToR site I couldn't find anything about races you can play other than human, anyone know offhand?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 03:10 PM   #39
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ You can see a list of confirmed playable species here at the SWTOR Wiki.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 03:11 PM   #40
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
Definitely will be dropping WoW and trying ToR for a couple months.. or knowing me leaving the WoW sub running anyway.
Blizzard is counting on it
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 11:11 PM   #41
teacake
Fleet Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Definitely will be dropping WoW and trying ToR for a couple months.. or knowing me leaving the WoW sub running anyway.
Blizzard is counting on it
Yeah I know.. I didn't even end up cancelling it when I didn't play for quite some months. I'm attached to my characters though I know someday WoW will be all over and they will be gone forever. Presumably.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
^ You can see a list of confirmed playable species here at the SWTOR Wiki.
Thank you! I guess you have to be an EU baby to know half of those, I'll have to research them. Going to have fun reading up on them all and hopefully what classes they can play.

I tried Rift recently, :: big yawn :: I hope ToR is original AND rich with SW goodness.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 1 2011, 12:55 AM   #42
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Thank you! I guess you have to be an EU baby to know half of those, I'll have to research them.
I'll give a brief outline, so that you still have some reading to do on your own.

Chiss: Originally introduced by Timothy Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire; Dark Force Rising; The Last Command). Various Chiss then reappeared in Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology (Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future), while a younger Thrawn appeared in Zahn's Outbound Flight. I believe there were a few appearances during the New Jedi Order series, then they played a major role in the Dark Nest trilogy. I'm actually disappointed the Chiss are in TOR, because Thrawn was originally introduced as one of the very few Chiss to have much contact with the galaxy beyond their own space (he was exiled for a pre-emptive military strike, illegal in Chiss society, and ended up joining Palpatine's Empire). The Chiss do, however, maintain a very ordered society that complements both this Sith Empire and Palpatine's Empire, so they do seem like natural allies from that perspective. Up until now, the EU portrayed them as very insular and mysterious to the rest of the galaxy; perhaps, though, events in this timeframe explain for that in the time periods around and after the movies.

Miraluka: The only Miraluka I'm all that familiar with was a companion in Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Force-sensitive "near-human" (i.e., they look mostly human) species, none of whom who have physical eyes and therefore "see" through the Force.

Mirialan: Two Jedi during the Clone Wars - Luminara Undili and Barriss Offee - were of this species, but I don't think they've had much EU exposure beyond those two characters.

Rattataki: Never heard of it before TOR, so I'm pretty sure it's a new species for the game.

Sith Pureblood: Last remaining "pure" descendants of the original Sith species conquered millennia before TOR by Dark Jedi who had been exiled after losing a war with the Jedi Order. Those exiled Jedi styled themselves "Dark Lords of the Sith" after conquering Korriban, thus establishing the first Sith Order and the first Sith Empire.

Zabrak: Darth Maul is the best known example of a Zabrak. KOTOR2 included a Zabrak companion. This species is sometimes also called "Iridonian," due to being from a planet called Iridonia. Some Zabrak were also from Dathomir, and often were a subject species of dark side Force-users called Nightsisters.

Twi'lek are pretty ubiquitous in SW movies and EU alike, so you probably recognize that species.
Old August 1 2011, 02:30 AM   #43
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Ventress is a Rattatak.
Old August 1 2011, 02:34 AM   #44
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Actually, The Clone Wars has Ventress as Dathomiri, originally from one of the Nightsister clans.

Edited to add: After doing some reading / refreshing of memory via Wookiepedia, it looks like Ventress was taken to Rattatak as an infant and raised there for many years, before being discovered by a Jedi, brought into the Jedi Order, and leaving several years later after her master was killed.

Last edited by PsychoPere; August 1 2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: See above.
Old August 1 2011, 02:41 AM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Wow PsychoPere, thank you very much. I had actually read the Thrawn trilogy but quite some years ago so have forgotten the Chiss. I remember the Mirialan now from AOTC (and I think I have a Luminara action figure somewhere..).

As I recall my intention was to play a Smuggler and I see they come in human, Twi'lek and Mirialan form so I may well go with the latter. I'm sure there will be Twi'leks aplenty, LOL>

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne