Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25 2011, 05:43 PM   #166
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Valar wrote: View Post
Actually Johnston, the director, stated that cap takes place over a three year period of WW2 , so it takes a few months to get steve rogers geared up into cap mode, and then the montage covers a few years of time, then the finale.
I wish the movie did a better job getting that idea across. Because at the most, it felt like the montage covered maybe a few months, not years.

Especially considering that Rogers doesn't seem all that terribly different or more mature from when he started.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 06:41 PM   #167
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Agreed. Perhaps one of those "calendar flipping" moments that also would've fit with the time period. Something that showed a more obvious amount of time passing. I think we all agree some weeks if not months passed. But years?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 07:35 PM   #168
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I saw the movie this weekend. It was fun, entertaining, and ultimately forgettable.

These Marvel movies aren't very ambitious are they?

Creatively, I mean, not in terms of setting up a franchise (Avengers, which is pretty ambitious).

Thor was the same way. Fun movie, entertaining enough, barely memorable a few days later.

It's fun to see these guys on the big screen, and it's nice not to have sh-t movies, but it's kind of hard to 'go crazy' over movies that feel so generic and "lightweight".
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 07:49 PM   #169
Tyberius
Commander

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
...good thing they opted not to include Fury since that would have been very odd in that reality...
You know, I thought they would, and still hope that they do, reveal Gabe to be Fury.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 07:55 PM   #170
flemm
Fleet Captain

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
It's fun to see these guys on the big screen, and it's nice not to have sh-t movies, but it's kind of hard to 'go crazy' over movies that feel so generic and "lightweight".
I basically agree with this assessment. These are solid, entertaining movies, and I'm cool with that. They aren't amazing, though.

Marvel studios will have to raise the bar for Avengers in order for that film to not seem underwhelming, and I'm sure they know that.

It will interesting to see where the studio goes from there, however, in movies like IM3, Thor 2 and Cap 2, whether it's more of the same, or whether they try to be a bit more ambitious creatively within each individual film.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 08:50 PM   #171
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I saw the movie this weekend. It was fun, entertaining, and ultimately forgettable.

To each is own.
I can't quote a single line from Inception, Avatar, Black Swan, Kings Speech or No Country for Old Men(all movies I've seen). Movies that I guess are seen as ambitious by some. However, I can Marvel Movies/comic book films.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 09:03 PM   #172
CaptainCanada
Admiral

flemm wrote: View Post
I basically agree with this assessment. These are solid, entertaining movies, and I'm cool with that. They aren't amazing, though.

Marvel studios will have to raise the bar for Avengers in order for that film to not seem underwhelming, and I'm sure they know that.

It will interesting to see where the studio goes from there, however, in movies like IM3, Thor 2 and Cap 2, whether it's more of the same, or whether they try to be a bit more ambitious creatively within each individual film.
I think Marvel Studios is trying to establish a consistent brand for its films; they're all fairly similar in feel, they've got good casts, good focus on their main characters, generally solid production values. Of course, the Avengers franchise concept is a fairly risky creative endeavour on its own, so I can see why they're adopting this approach.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 09:15 PM   #173
davejames
Vice Admiral

I agree a lot of these Marvel movies HAVE felt a bit bland and safe, but I thought Captain America was a few steps higher in quality than those.

It's no great work of art, but it's the first one since Iron Man that felt to me like it could have stood on it's OWN, without being part of some larger universe.
Old July 25 2011, 10:47 PM   #174
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'll agree with many of the above sentiments, a solid, entertaining and enjoyable movie. Definately helps an afternoon go by, but not really very memorable. Although there were a lot of great one-liners, especially from Tommy Lee Jones. Also, I thought they did a pretty good job with making Howard Stark resemble Robert Downey Jr enough that you would almost think the actors are related. Nick Fury's cameo was also fun.

I thought it kind of cool that Red Skull had a mixture of 1940s tech (particular his digital clocks) and modern day. Sepia-toned CCTV is also kind of neat.

One thing troubling me, so this drug turns Steve Rogers from scrawny tigman into buff and muscular Captain America, but where does he get the training to do ahlf the stuff he does. Fighting is not as easy as it looks, and if you're used to having your ass handed to you all the time, you aren't going to suddenly be able to beat a trained enemy soldier just because you've suddenly grown muscles. Likewise, riding a zipline and jumping onto a moving train takes a lot of skill. Do we seriously believe that a nobody who has done nothing physical in his life is going to know how to do that after magically obtaining muscles?

I know, it's a silly thing to nitpick, and probably not the movie's fault. This could easily have been something from the comics that's just been made part of the movie. But it bothered me all the same.
Old July 25 2011, 10:51 PM   #175
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

Steve was in basic trainin' as part of the program before gettin' the treatment to become Captain America. He wasn't very good at it, obviously, but he was still there.
Old July 25 2011, 11:23 PM   #176
The Wormhole
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

Steve was in basic trainin' as part of the program before gettin' the treatment to become Captain America. He wasn't very good at it, obviously, but he was still there.
I was under the impression that he basically failed basic training and would have been discharged had he not been The One. Therefore, his capabilities should be questionable.

But even so, it takes time to develop the skills he had after becoming Captain America. Just because you've instantly grown muscles doesn't instantly make you an asskicking invincible unstoppable force.

Yeah, I know, realism and movies isn't a good mix, but still.
Old July 25 2011, 11:24 PM   #177
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

He was failin' - he hadn't failed.
Old July 25 2011, 11:29 PM   #178
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well I think we're meant to believe that somewhere in that 3-year montage, he got the extra training he needed.

I agree it would have been nice to see that on screen though.
Old July 25 2011, 11:34 PM   #179
Trevacious
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I know, it's a silly thing to nitpick, and probably not the movie's fault. This could easily have been something from the comics that's just been made part of the movie. But it bothered me all the same.
In the comics, after he got his new body, Steve underwent extensive training in all forms of hand to hand combat and military tactics.

The problem for the movie's story there is that they initially didn't wanna use him as a soldier in the field. That changed only after the successful rescue of Bucky and the rest. After lucking out on that one, then I could imagine them having him back in training to expand his skills if he was gonna be a full-time field agent.

But I just filled in the blank and gave the movie a break there. They did point out that his brain seems to be enhanced as well as his body, so I could presume he would've picked up on these things very quickly.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 01:42 AM   #180
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Basic training during WWII was 10 weeks. However it involved a lot of rifle cleaning, marching and running that Steve wouldn't have needed.

Read about Camp X, the training camp for OSS (pre CIA) agents, training there was 1 month in duration. Ian Flemming was trained there and it's claimed he based James Bond on Sir William Stephenson whom he met there.

The scene in the movie where Steve is designing his uniform from Howard's carbon fibre and getting the vibranium shield, we can presume that there was few weeks there of preparation where he could be trained, possibly by Peggy.

Let's also not forget Steve was always a scrapper, he got beat up because he didn't have the muscle to back up his moves, that doesn't mean he didn't pick up any experience.

However I agree, overall a glimpse or a reference to him getting some hand-to-hand training would have been nice, and taken about 12 seconds.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote