Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 21 2011, 08:29 PM   #106
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: Mission: Impossible (original series)...

Christopher wrote: View Post
And at the border crossing in "The Exchange," there's a sign that seems to be in genuine Russian, German, and French as well as English. I guess they could do that because there was English included so it was comprehensible, and because the multilingualism left it unspecific about what country they were in (though it was implicitly Germany -- they tended to use "Eastern Zone" and "Western Zone" in episodes that were supposed to be in East/West Germany).

The issue of languages is one of the tricky conceits of M:I. Do we choose to believe that these agents actually were fluent in every language on Earth, or that the inhabitants of every foreign country actually spoke in accented English? Although of course the problem here is nothing compared to that in science fiction shows.
Maybe the UT was actually invented in the 60s by an unamned Governemtn agency for use by IMF agents

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 10:26 PM   #107
Christopher
Writer

^Well, they had cordrazine and Saurian brandy decanters, so you never know...

(Seriously. There's an episode during the Nimoy years with a scene where Paris/Nimoy is talking on the phone and there's a Saurian brandy bottle right next to him on the table.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:20 PM   #108
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Just rewatched Mission Impossible 2 last night, starring Tom Cruise.

What a fabulous trip down memory lane. Tom Cruise was wise in bringing on famed director John Woo to direct this epic tale.

Apart from Tom Cruise's hair, one of the more exhilarating aspects was the absence of Jim Phelps, noted traitor of Tom Cruise and IMF. With whatshisface gone, IMF is all Tom Cruise's to run and you really see that reflected in the cool efficiency and steady ease with which they completed their mission.

Another brilliant aspect of this brilliant Tom Cruise vehicle was the amazing stunts that Tom Cruise himself engages in. I don't know if any of the no names whom everyone has forgotten about that starred in the "original" version of Mission Impossible did their own stunts, but I'm going to have to go out on a limb and say no - they probably didn't take enough pride in their work like Tom Cruise so obviously does. The sacrifices he makes for our entertainment really put an already great Tom Cruise movie in to the category of "freaking incredible Tom Cruise movie".

All in all, I'd have to give this movie 9.5 Tom Cruises out of a possible 10. The 0.5 accounting for the fact that there wasn't enough Tom Cruise screen time. But bascially this movie was everything the "original" Mission Impossible wasn't - fantastic and entertaining.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:51 PM   #109
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Candidly I wondered if I would find the show somewhat creaky after all these years. Surprisingly I don't although I acknowledge that a contemporary work would probably be faster paced. Overall I like the acting and particularly the writing. It usually feels as if they respect the intelligence of the viewer to follow what's going on and not need reams of exposition to explain every little thing.

Being shot on film rather than videotape it is gorgeous to look at with all the detail we can now see that likely wouldn't have shown up on old televisions of the time. For me it's a trip back in time because I actually remember when people dressed like that, drove those cars, and so many people smoked so casually and openly. Hell, in some shots you can see Martin Landau's yellowed fingers.

I remember how Martin Landau couldn't strike a deal for more seasons so both Barbara Bain and Landau left. After that it was Nimoy for the next two or three years. Which seasons feature Nimoy? I'd like to buy them if they ever go to the $14.99 section at Wal-Mart.
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 12:13 AM   #110
Harvey
Admiral

Nimoy is in seasons four and five, IIRC.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 12:47 AM   #111
Mike Ram
Lieutenant Commander

^ Sadly, William Shatner guest starred in two episodes...in seasons 6 and 7. It would have been fun to see them together again.
Mike Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 12:50 AM   #112
Mike Ram
Lieutenant Commander

PS, I wrote reviews for each season on Netflix, but it looks like they've changed the way reviews are presented now (they're only for a series as a whole). Would anyone like me to post them here?
Mike Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 01:54 AM   #113
Marc
Fleet Admiral

NextGen123 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Candidly I wondered if I would find the show somewhat creaky after all these years. Surprisingly I don't although I acknowledge that a contemporary work would probably be faster paced. Overall I like the acting and particularly the writing. It usually feels as if they respect the intelligence of the viewer to follow what's going on and not need reams of exposition to explain every little thing.

Being shot on film rather than videotape it is gorgeous to look at with all the detail we can now see that likely wouldn't have shown up on old televisions of the time. For me it's a trip back in time because I actually remember when people dressed like that, drove those cars, and so many people smoked so casually and openly. Hell, in some shots you can see Martin Landau's yellowed fingers.

I remember how Martin Landau couldn't strike a deal for more seasons so both Barbara Bain and Landau left. After that it was Nimoy for the next two or three years. Which seasons feature Nimoy? I'd like to buy them if they ever go to the $14.99 section at Wal-Mart.
so it wasn't that he wanted to avoid type casting and left of his own accord?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old July 22 2011, 02:51 AM   #114
Christopher
Writer

I'm not sure how you can be typecast on a show where you play a different character every week.

Old July 22 2011, 03:36 AM   #115
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I was watching the episode with Barry "Greg Brady" Williams as an annoying boy king.
Old July 22 2011, 03:40 AM   #116
Forbin
Admiral

IIRC (and I may not), Nimoy's very first line in his first episode directly addresses Phelps during the briefing, so for his first line in his new series, he calls somebody Jim. I think I was looking down at my food at the time (during my recent rewatch), and for a split second I thought I'd mistakenly put a Trek episode on.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 09:04 PM   #117
Warped9
Admiral

When I went to see Captain America this afternoon (really enjoyed it!) I caught the trailer for the next M:I film.

Typical trailer with over-the-top stunts and explosions and more bullshit set up. They even trash the M:I theme song.

Suffice to say that like the preceding films I won't be bothering with this particularly after revisiting the original series.
Old July 23 2011, 09:54 PM   #118
Christopher
Writer

Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol is Brad Bird's first live-action feature film. I find that fascinating in itself. Naturally any trailer is going to play up the action to a disproportionate degree; that doesn't mean there won't be worthwhile story and characterization in the film. I can't imagine a Brad Bird film not having those. Basically I'm hoping for a live-action The Incredibles here.

And the plot seems intriguing:

I think it's a very clever twist and it suggests that the thinking behind this film is grounded in an awareness of the show's mythology.

As for the music, again, you can't mistake what the ad agency decides to put in the trailer for what the filmmakers choose to put in the actual movie. Michael Giacchino is back to score the film, and his score for M:I:III was the only one that really made good use of Schifrin's motifs from the series, both the main title motif and "The Plot."

Old July 24 2011, 02:10 AM   #119
ATimson
Rear Admiral

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 02:45 AM   #120
Marc
Fleet Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
was there actually anything left ot it to suffer that fate?

Except for one episode in the revival series did it happen to any other team member?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly