Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2011, 01:56 AM   #91
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

sojourner wrote: View Post
^which still makes him superior. Which wasn't portrayed that much in the movie.
Dude chased down a car while runnin' barefoot...and ya think ya could do the same?
Old July 24 2011, 03:31 AM   #92
Warped9
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
^which still makes him superior. Which wasn't portrayed that much in the movie.
Dude chased down a car while runnin' barefoot...and ya think ya could do the same?
Not only that. He could leap great distances, exhibited fantastic strength and could withstand great physical punishment. I also suspect his mental abilities were affected to some degree.
Old July 24 2011, 04:06 AM   #93
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captain America is off to a stellar start given it's the 4th superhero movie of the summer AND following in Potter 8's shadow.

The film had a Friday total of $25.7m and is on track to win the weekend with $60m+ it looks like if all holds according to normal patterns given an opening of this size.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:09 AM   #94
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It's gonna win the weekend. I'm actually fighting a cold so plans have been post phoned to see it this weekend. I will see it soon though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:24 AM   #95
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I gave it a solid B. Really very by the numbers as Marvel movies go, no surprises or anything, but I really dug the WWII setting.
Old July 24 2011, 04:33 AM   #96
JD
Admiral

I was just reading on the characters in the movie on the Marvel Database, and wikipedia and it said that Cap meets Peggy's neice in the present and confuses her for Peggy. So I'm assuming that would probably mean we can expect to see Hayley Atwell playing Sharon Carter in sequels.
Old July 24 2011, 04:34 AM   #97
Warped9
Admiral

RT has it at 73% with 87% of the audience liking it. Not bad.
Old July 24 2011, 04:39 AM   #98
CaptainCanada
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I was just reading on the characters in the movie on the Marvel Database, and wikipedia and it said that Cap meets Peggy's neice in the present and confuses her for Peggy. So I'm assuming that would probably mean we can expect to see Hayley Atwell playing Sharon Carter in sequels.
That was just a rumour; some people think Amanda Righetti's character is meant to be Sharon, but he never confuses her for Peggy.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:46 AM   #99
JD
Admiral

Oh, I didn't know that had been rumored already. I was just guessing based on what I read, but I guess it would be pretty obvious to anyone familiar with the characters.
Old July 24 2011, 05:05 AM   #100
CaptainCanada
Admiral

My ten-year-old cousin just saw the film with his dad (his favourite part of the movie was the guy going through the propeller), and he asked me if Peggy was supposed to be Tony's mom.

I said no, but seriously, that would be hilarious. They should totally do that.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 05:06 AM   #101
Warped9
Admiral

Hmmm, means they would "fondue" after all.
Old July 24 2011, 05:48 AM   #102
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I gave it an "A". I wish it had been longer. I saw it in 3D, and I liked the 3D.

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I wanted just a bit more backstory on how the Red Skull located the Cosmic Cube, not that it would have had a significant bearing on events, although a hint of exactly what became of him would have been nice. Hopefully all outstanding questions will be answered in the Avengers.

I also would have liked to see a bit more of the early adventures of Cap and team with Bucky.

I felt something for Steve, so the movie definitely succeeded in creating a character with whom I could identify. Job well done on that score.

My dad was with me, and I think he liked it even better than I did, which was a shock to me.

My only complaint was that I didn't like how his shield was, without any technobabbly explanation, immune to the Cosmically-charged energy weapons [whose effect I thought was really well done]. Mere mention that vibranium was, say, forged from a meteorite, or from matieral believed to come from outer space, would have gone a long way to make me feel better about that. If they said vibranium is thought to have come from outer space in the film, I missed it.

The Avengers trailer attached to the end of the film was enjoyable.

So,
Old July 24 2011, 05:49 AM   #103
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I took a chance.

I didn't see Green Lantern or Thor in cinema because the theatre here was screening them in 3D and I had no interest in paying a premium for that. I wanted to (hopefully) see an enjoyable film without the distraction of an imperfect gimmick that bothers my eyes. Turns out, though, that my local theatre is screening Captain America in standard 2D this week and is switching to 3D next week. So I lucked out.

I'm not that familiar with the character and the only Captain America comics I read were way back in the late '60s. so maybe it was a good thing I wasn't burdened with expectations? Even if so I take these films as adaptations and not gospel.

This was a fun and feel good movie in similar fashion to when I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark way back in 1981. It also has a measure of innocence in similar sense as the '78 Superman, but without the overt camp of that film. I loved the whole retro look to it. I liked its measured pace without feeling rushed or conversely bogged down. I like how all the characters were just right for their parts. Yes there is a degree of corniness and smaltz in this, but they're in the right doses and in the right places. This is, after all, a superhero film and like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films it touches on why these stories and these characters appeal to us. It also does the right thing by avoiding the overt cynicism of our own times. It shows us not the world we do live in, but a world we would like to live in. A world where good people can do good things and step up when they're needed. I certainly found myself smiling and laughing in the right places.

I quite liked this film and I think it's a keeper that I'll gladly add to my own library. I generally disagree with many of the rather jaded reviews I've read and I give it an "A" rating.

I also caught The Avengers trailer after the end credits. Could be fun.
Told you man, my origonal post reflects the same thing. It totally had a Indy Jones/ Superman/ IronMan feel to it. The cornyness was funny and not unwelcomed. This felt like a classic 80's action movie. Specifically, the scene where Cap. was rescueing Bucky and the boys, he jumps into the covered truck and then beats up the bad guys off screne and throws them out of the truck. This was corny, but funny in an Indy Jones kind of way.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 05:53 AM   #104
Nowhere Man
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I gave it an "A". I wish it had been longer. I saw it in 3D, and I liked the 3D.

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I wanted just a bit more backstory on how the Red Skull located the Cosmic Cube, not that it would have had a significant bearing on events, although a hint of exactly what became of him would have been nice. Hopefully all outstanding questions will be answered in the Avengers.

I also would have liked to see a bit more of the early adventures of Cap and team with Bucky.

I felt something for Steve, so the movie definitely succeeded in creating a character with whom I could identify. Job well done on that score.

My dad was with me, and I think he liked it even better than I did, which was a shock to me.

My only complaint was that I didn't like how his shield was, without any technobabbly explanation, immune to the Cosmically-charged energy weapons [whose effect I thought was really well done]. Mere mention that vibranium was, say, forged from a meteorite, or from matieral believed to come from outer space, would have gone a long way to make me feel better about that. If they said vibranium is thought to have come from outer space in the film, I missed it.

The Avengers trailer attached to the end of the film was enjoyable.

So,
Are yoiu shittin me? the shield was awsome and a character of it's own. They gave a small explanation for the shield which was good enough for me.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 05:59 AM   #105
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Since we're talking about energy tapped from a Cosmic Cube, no I'm not shitting you. I thought I was pretty clear there.

Obviously I didn't find it to be that much of a problem or I'd have given the movie a lower grade than "A". I believe I said it was my only complaint. Not much to complain about really.