RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 515
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2011, 04:43 AM   #316
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
Any word yet on whether Howard Shore will be returning to score the movie(s)? It would surely be a crime if he wasn't able to do it.
100% for certain. He told me so. (No, really, I asked him last October and he said he was already working on ideas.) I simply cannot wait to hear what he comes up with, either.
Old July 23 2011, 09:53 PM   #317
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Don't worry. He's definitely returning and has already started work on the scores.
Damn, I was hoping for Hans Zimmer.
No way. As much as I love Zimmer's work (and probably more so than most), I absolutely adore Shore's work with the trilogy and I would have been devastated if anyone other than himself scored The Hobbit films.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:02 PM   #318
Skywalker
Admiral

Indeed. No Howard Shore would be akin to Gandalf being played someone other than Ian McKellen, IMO.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:14 AM   #319
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Indeed. No Howard Shore would be akin to Gandalf being played someone other than Ian McKellen, IMO.
Indeed. I am looking forward to hearing the Shire theme in full force to start off the movie. I can't wait to hear what themes he comes up with for the Dwarves.
Old September 14 2011, 09:27 AM   #320
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

It's been awhile since we've had an update, but here's a brief interview Benedict Cumberbatch talking about Smaug (and the Necromancer) on The Jonathan Ross Show: Link.

I'm excited to hear that the performance will be motion captured a la Gollum.

Old September 14 2011, 10:05 AM   #321
Skywalker
Admiral

Very cool! Thanks, Emh! I've been checking TheOneRing.net for updates every other day or so, but there doesn't seem to be much at the moment. I think they just started the second block of filming a week or two ago.
Old September 14 2011, 03:09 PM   #322
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Very cool. I'm a bit worried that he's doing the voice of two villains, neither of which is seen. I'm hoping his voice is different enough, but we'll have to see.

Actually, would the Sauron-ish character talk or would he be silent like in LOTR proper?
Old September 14 2011, 10:58 PM   #323
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

I don't know what kind of voice acting he's done, but if nothing else, they can use voice modulation on either one of them.

Old September 15 2011, 01:34 AM   #324
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Rhys-Davis spoke both Gimli and Treebeard.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 02:26 AM   #325
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ Yeah, but at times Treebeard sounded like Gimli, which wasn't really a good thing.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 02:45 AM   #326
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Very cool. I'm a bit worried that he's doing the voice of two villains, neither of which is seen. I'm hoping his voice is different enough, but we'll have to see.

Actually, would the Sauron-ish character talk or would he be silent like in LOTR proper?
I wish they wouldn't double the voices again. I still can't hear Treebeard as anything BUT John-Rhys Davies.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2011, 04:23 AM   #327
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Rhys-Davis spoke both Gimli and Treebeard.
Well, I was trying to distinguish two voice actor parts to one voice actor part and one live action part. At least the tangibleness of one could distract the fact that it is the same voice to a degree that isn't the case here.
Old September 15 2011, 04:37 AM   #328
Skywalker
Admiral

Even as the Necromancer, Sauron does not have a physical form (at least, not in the movie world), so I doubt we'll see Cumberbatch's face at all.
Old September 15 2011, 02:00 PM   #329
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

I wish they wouldn't double the voices again. I still can't hear Treebeard as anything BUT John-Rhys Davies.
Yes! There's even a scene in ROTK in which the two characters speak one after the other and it's ridiculously distracting. The whole Cumberbutt thing annoys the crap out of me.
Old November 11 2011, 03:21 AM   #330
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

New video blog entry from Peter Jackson:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/05/p...the-hobbit-vi/

Lots about the camera rigs being used and how that affects the way makeup, sets, costumes, etc. are designed.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote