Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Christopher
Writer

Odd little question about '66 BATMAN show...

I've been watching the '66 Batman series on the Hub cable network, and I've started to wonder something. A recurring trope on the show was for villains to use knockout gas that was represented as brightly colored smoke. It would spray out of the Penguin's umbrella or the Joker's lapel flower or whatever. And I'm wondering: how did they create the "smoke" effect? What was it made of? What gave it color? Was it really smoke or some sort of fine dust? Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 04:23 AM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Odd little question about '66 BATMAN show...

LMGTFY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_smoke
Old July 23 2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Robert D. Robot
Captain

One of the things that I like about BBS is that topics come up that I would never have thought about before, but I learn a little something in reading the discussion. And I will usually then go to Google to find out more.

But it (the question) most often becomes the start of an interactive process - a discussion- where people are talking about the topic. You never know when someone here may have personal experience with a subject or an interesting anecdote. And you never know where the conversation may go. A question about McCoy's sickbay could end up as a discussion of Michelle Bachmann's migraines....

Google May Be Your Friend (and a bright one at that), but it is not a friend that can actually come out and play and toss a ball around.

Last edited by Robert D. Robot; July 23 2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: reworded a couple things
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 02:03 PM   #4
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

Or threads can just die with two or three posts - question asked, answered & done.

Old July 23 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Okay, see, I'm still unsure of something. The Wikipedia article says that kind of smoke is, in fact, produced by burning something. But I'm not sure that could work for the Batman props I'm talking about, which seemed to be self-contained, hand-held items, so it's hard to see how anything could be burning within them. Now, maybe when we saw, say, the Penguin's umbrella spew colored smoke, there was a hidden tube running to a smoke machine off-camera. But I'm not sure that's so. So I'm wondering if there might be some other way of producing something that looks like colored smoke, maybe something that's stored in a compressed-gas cartridge like the CO2 cylinders used in model rockets.

Old July 23 2011, 03:24 PM   #6
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

Or threads can just die with two or three posts - question asked, answered & done.

Sometimes, I honestly do like it when a simple question thread turns into a completely insane, elaborate conversation that's only thinly related to the original question. There's such a thing, of course, as going too far off the rails, but sometimes those simple questions threads can get some great conversations going (like this one). I dig that.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 05:34 PM   #7
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
it's hard to see how anything could be burning within them. Now, maybe when we saw, say, the Penguin's umbrella spew colored smoke, there was a hidden tube running to a smoke machine off-camera. But I'm not sure that's so. So I'm wondering if there might be some other way of producing something that looks like colored smoke, maybe something that's stored in a compressed-gas cartridge like the CO2 cylinders used in model rockets.
Aha, good point.
Old July 23 2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Did they ever breathe it in? Is it toxic? The stuff I read makes it sound like it could be.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 07:00 PM   #9
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, it knocked people out. That can't be good.
Old July 23 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Filmmakers have been using smoke machines to generate mist, fog, and smoke effects for generations. It's not particularly good for the respiratory system, but then, neither were the pipes, cigars, and cigarettes that were in ubiquitous use in Hollywood for most of that time, so they really didn't care much about that until recent years.

Old July 24 2011, 01:17 AM   #11
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
it's hard to see how anything could be burning within them. Now, maybe when we saw, say, the Penguin's umbrella spew colored smoke, there was a hidden tube running to a smoke machine off-camera. But I'm not sure that's so. So I'm wondering if there might be some other way of producing something that looks like colored smoke, maybe something that's stored in a compressed-gas cartridge like the CO2 cylinders used in model rockets.
They used the former effects to make the characters on-camera appear to be doing the latter.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 02:33 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

^Maybe. But I'm not sure. So I'm wondering if, at least hypothetically, there's another possibility.

Old July 24 2011, 02:41 AM   #13
DWF
Vice Admiral

I'd chalk it up to good editing and I'm sure they failed more than once.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:17 AM   #14
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

It doesn't sound that hard to have a packet of, say, powdered chalk or dust (in the appropriate color) and propel it with CO2. Is there any reason it couldn't have been that simple?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
It doesn't sound that hard to have a packet of, say, powdered chalk or dust (in the appropriate color) and propel it with CO2. Is there any reason it couldn't have been that simple?
Well, that's my question. It seems possible, but would that actually look like smoke? It would have to be a very fine particulate to rise and billow like smoke does. Chalk dust tends to behave differently. This stuff actually did look like smoke (albeit colored) rather than dust.

What I need to do is pay more attention when I watch the episodes -- keep an eye out for whether there could be a tube hidden under the actor's clothing and leading off-camera.