A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old July 22 2011, 01:28 AM   #16
AJ86
Captain

Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

That's why I seriously don't want them to ever tell the 'full disclosure' storyline, Stargate had gotten too Treky as it is without creating the federation 2.0.
Old July 22 2011, 01:34 AM   #17
DWF
Vice Admiral

I loved the entire Stargate franchise.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old July 22 2011, 02:48 AM   #18
SG-17
Commodore

AJ86 wrote: View Post
That's why I seriously don't want them to ever tell the 'full disclosure' storyline, Stargate had gotten too Treky as it is without creating the federation 2.0.
The only way that I want a full disclosure storyline is if the series is on the block to be rebooted.

Old July 22 2011, 03:03 AM   #19
billcosby
Commodore

My aunt (Gate fan) forced me (Trek fan) to sit through a few Stargate episodes.
I died on the inside a little.

Last edited by billcosby; July 22 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 22 2011, 05:02 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Civ001 wrote: View Post
So from people who had watched Star Trek before they watched Stargate what did you think of the show when it came on? The first episode I watched was Grace I was wondering what kind of show this was and what it was but I thought it kind of had a Star Trek feeling to it. I found it to be wierd at first but I soon liked the show as much as I like Star Trek. So what do you think about the show?
It took me a long time to get into Stargate. I remember checking out "Children of the Gods" shortly after it premiered, and was bored. So it took me a while to get back into it and I checked out the occassional episode here or there.

I liked the Goau'ld, the use of mythology, and the SG-1 team was okay enough, though over time RDA became too snarky for my tastes. SG-1 felt too lightweight at times, but over time I came to appreciate the lighter tone a little more; there's nothing wrong with having some space adventures with less gray areas between heroes and villains.

I really didn't become a fulltime watcher until the last 2 seasons, and pretty much have only watched season 9 all the way through. I stuck with Atlantis a little better; I thought it's pilot and first season were pretty good. And with Universe, I appreciated what they were trying to do in changing up the tone, but the show was too much of a slow burn out the gate.

I don't like Stargate as much as Star Trek, though it's like comfort food. It's entertaining enough, usually with a nice mix of action, adventure, and humor.
Old July 22 2011, 05:08 AM   #21
Ninjacore
Commander

I cannot take star gate seriously, if america had access to all that alien technology, they'd use it to destroy their rivals as well as anyone else who stood before them, the military industrial machine would simply use it to become the new world empire...not to protect primitive people in other galaxies...
Old July 22 2011, 06:30 AM   #22
SG-17
Commodore

Again with underthinking things. If the USA used any advanced technology on other nations they would seriously risk exposing the program, risk destroying the planet totally, risk loosing their allies like the Asgard.
Not to mention that they never really got anything of value until around season 5, but by that time Russia was already partnered with the US in the Stargate Program.

Old July 22 2011, 06:41 AM   #23
Ninjacore
Commander

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Again with underthinking things. If the USA used any advanced technology on other nations they would seriously risk exposing the program, risk destroying the planet totally, risk loosing their allies like the Asgard.
Not to mention that they never really got anything of value until around season 5, but by that time Russia was already partnered with the US in the Stargate Program.
Like America or Russia would ever fully trade information of that power with anyone, and military/politicians are quite short sighted, i do not believe they'd have the self control not to use it bc the asgard might abandon them...
Old July 22 2011, 06:45 AM   #24
SG-17
Commodore

They had much bigger problems to worry about than some 3rd Muslim countries. Russia was an ally, so was the rest of Europe, China, and Japan. There was no one to fight, especially with the constant threat of Goa'uld attack/Ori attack/Lucian attack.

Old July 22 2011, 06:49 AM   #25
Ninjacore
Commander

SG-17 wrote: View Post
They had much bigger problems to worry about than some 3rd Muslim countries. Russia was an ally, so was the rest of Europe, China, and Japan. There was no one to fight, especially with the constant threat of Goa'uld attack/Ori attack/Lucian attack.
I just see it as pandoras box, and no human can resist opening the box...call me skeptical...
Old July 22 2011, 02:44 PM   #26
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Ninjacore wrote: View Post
I cannot take star gate seriously, if america had access to all that alien technology, they'd use it to destroy their rivals as well as anyone else who stood before them, the military industrial machine would simply use it to become the new world empire...not to protect primitive people in other galaxies...
I cannot take Stargate seriously because every damn culture on every damn planet they visit speaks English.

There, I said it.
Old July 22 2011, 03:36 PM   #27
Ninjacore
Commander

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
I cannot take Stargate seriously because every damn culture on every damn planet they visit speaks English.

There, I said it.
Thats also a problem in star trek to be fair, to my knowledge only farscape tried to actually deal with that problem with translator microbes...
Old July 22 2011, 06:20 PM   #28
SG-17
Commodore

There, I said it.
That was done on purpose so that half of the episode wasn't devoted to Daniel figuring out how to talk to the locals.

Old July 22 2011, 07:15 PM   #29
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, the obvious solution to that is to have everyone on the team (and the audience) learn ancient egyptian. Then, when you watch Atlantis, you have to learn latin.
Old July 22 2011, 07:18 PM   #30
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There, I said it.
Because there are Humans, the Ancients took groups of Humans to all these worlds as recently as around 3000 years ago. They even brought thousands of Humans with them to the Pegasus galaxy. When they accidentally wiped out all life in the Milky Way millions of years ago they restarted, Humans were a particular pet project of theirs, they created us.