Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2011, 12:17 PM   #841
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I only had the most marginal of interest in TASM, but, after seeing that trailer, said interest has increased dramatically. Yes, it's another origin story for the character (which I'm fine with), but, judging by what we see, it is presented in a manner that is different from what we've previously seen, at least in some respects.

I personally have no issue with Andrew Garfield playing a HS-age Peter Parker, since it's no different than what has been done in countless other movies; I also think that, with the glasses and the haircut, Garfield definitely looks like he could fit in in a HS setting (at least IMO).

Tonally, the film - at least juding by this trailer - seems to be more evocative of the more recent Harry Potter films, or even Batman Begins, which I actually think will work well because it helps set the film apart from Raimi's trilogy.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 12:53 PM   #842
Whofan
Fleet Captain

"Dark" Spider-man has been done in the comics a few times. Most notably J.M Dematteis's run on Spectacular Spider-Man, and "Kraven's last Hunt" (Also by Dematteis).

Before Raimi left (and before all that weird Vulture/Vultress talk), it was speculated by some fans that he would do an adaptation of Last Hunt but with the Lizard replacing Vermin.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:42 PM   #843
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Loved the trailer
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 02:09 PM   #844
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Meh. Of course, whether or not the film is any good remains to be seen. But the trailer did nothing for me -- other than make me think, "Hey, I've seen this movie before!"
Old July 21 2011, 07:28 PM   #845
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Old July 21 2011, 07:30 PM   #846
Harvey
Admiral

It doesn't look all that dark and gritty to me. More like more of the same. Perhaps I'll finally get around to seeing the third Raimi movie now, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 07:56 PM   #847
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Not a bad looking teaser poster. Much better than the fake one that was posted here a while ago.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; July 21 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 09:38 PM   #848
Dr. Chandra
Captain

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
That first-person sequence is going to look amazing in 3D (once they polish up the CGI).
I look forward to the reports of audience members barfing en masse in their seats.

This is supposed to be a movie, not a frelling videogame. Same the cheesy first person for the PS3.

Alex
It reminded me of the first-person scenes in the doomed DOOM movie.
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Dr. Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:40 PM   #849
T'Baio
Admiral

You know, I'm the biggest Fincher fanboy there is, I've literally studied his movies. I'm gonna' come off sounding like a pretentious prick, I know, but still. I have to ask.

How does this look like a Fincher movie, exactly?
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:42 PM   #850
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Meh. Of course, whether or not the film is any good remains to be seen. But the trailer did nothing for me -- other than make me think, "Hey, I've seen this movie before!"
Yep, same here
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:53 PM   #851
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

T'Baio wrote: View Post
You know, I'm the biggest Fincher fanboy there is, I've literally studied his movies. I'm gonna' come off sounding like a pretentious prick, I know, but still. I have to ask.

How does this look like a Fincher movie, exactly?
I think for me it resembles a Fincher movie because of the color scheme and the tone. Fincher's movies always have a rich and dense color platette and you can immediately tell it is a Fincher movie because of that.

While the color scheme in The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't resemble that to an overwhelming degree, there are similarities. For example, and I am no colorist expert, but there always seems to be a lot of grungy colors in Fincher's movies. Fight Club, for instance, which had a lot of dark, muted colors. The same can be said for pretty much every Fincher movie, including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I almost feel like brown and dark gold are colors used consistently in Fincher's movies, and right off the bat, those are colors that populate the world of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Tone-wise, Fincher's movies are always darkly serious. There are some moments of black comedy sprinkled throughout all of his movies, most particularly Fight Club, but he always does almost drab, serious, and dark films dealing with heavy subject matter. The tone is always deftly serious, and from the onset that's the tone I get from The Amazing Spider-Man, at least from the trailer. There are some moments of levity, like when Gwen accosts Peter for snooping around, but for the most part the trailer is played very straight and very serious. To me it seems very much inspired by the works of Fincher, at least sub-consciously.

Lastly, like I've said before, the POV Spider-Man sequence at the end of the trailer looked like it could have come from the opening credit sequence of Panic Room. I'm sure The Amazing Spider-Man will have its own identity and will likely be a good balance of serious and comedic elements, and might not be as dark as the trailer suggests, but those were just the first impressions I got from watching the trailer.
Old July 21 2011, 11:57 PM   #852
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I dunno why but I'm mesmerized by this.

Old July 22 2011, 12:06 AM   #853
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I dunno why but I'm mesmerized by this.
Same here. I can't stop watching the trailer.
Old July 22 2011, 12:22 AM   #854
T'Baio
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I think for me it resembles a Fincher movie because of the color scheme and the tone. Fincher's movies always have a rich and dense color platette and you can immediately tell it is a Fincher movie because of that.

While the color scheme in The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't resemble that to an overwhelming degree, there are similarities. For example, and I am no colorist expert, but there always seems to be a lot of grungy colors in Fincher's movies. Fight Club, for instance, which had a lot of dark, muted colors. The same can be said for pretty much every Fincher movie, including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I almost feel like brown and dark gold are colors used consistently in Fincher's movies, and right off the bat, those are colors that populate the world of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Tone-wise, Fincher's movies are always darkly serious. There are some moments of black comedy sprinkled throughout all of his movies, most particularly Fight Club, but he always does almost drab, serious, and dark films dealing with heavy subject matter. The tone is always deftly serious, and from the onset that's the tone I get from The Amazing Spider-Man, at least from the trailer. There are some moments of levity, like when Gwen accosts Peter for snooping around, but for the most part the trailer is played very straight and very serious. To me it seems very much inspired by the works of Fincher, at least sub-consciously.

Lastly, like I've said before, the POV Spider-Man sequence at the end of the trailer looked like it could have come from the opening credit sequence of Panic Room. I'm sure The Amazing Spider-Man will have its own identity and will likely be a good balance of serious and comedic elements, and might not be as dark as the trailer suggests, but those were just the first impressions I got from watching the trailer.
Thanks for answering that, JA. I still respectfully don't see it, though. Colour pallette's and tone don't really make a director for me, at least not Fincher.

It's hard to tell without seeing the whole movie, of course, but I don't see what I think is recognizable Fincher in that trailer. One of his most unique qualities is his obsessive compulsive attention to detail. For instance...I don't think the rain on the porch through the door when Peter's parents are leaving would make it into a Fincher movie. He's that precise, and that rain is too...unnatural. That's just one example.

I also don't see Fincher's eye for camera movement in the trailer, another one of his key sylistics flourishes. Fincher compliments movement in the frame with the movement in his camera. Not to mention Fincher's keen eye for framing. Neither of these specificities do I see in this trailer. Compare the look of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trailer to this one, and I really don't think I see any Fincher here.

Of course, I'm not saying this is a bad trailer, nor am I complaining. I think the trailer is fantastic, and it of course doesn't have to look like a Fincher movie. It should look like a Webb movie. I'm just not sure what those look like after only seeing (500) Days... But Webb is a talented director, and I look forward to seeing what does with Spider-Man after seeing this great trailer.

I'm not even sure I'd want Fincher to do a Spider-Man movie. Wolverine, however, might be a sight to see.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 04:44 AM   #855
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is cinemablend's coverage of the panel along with their description of the footage they showed.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Comic...nel-25856.html