Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 21 2011, 10:52 PM   #1171
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
If we look at their history of releasing details, they often release them with no context whatsoever leaving people to figure things out. Being that these would be major changes to how the game plays, they should have given context.
It wasn't like this with previous updates, it's like this now because when the Minecraft community on reddit heard that 1.7 was going to be the adventure update they got all excited and petitioned Notch to keep all the details secret so that they could be surprised. Back then, people assumed that the update would only include a few new monsters and items and that it would be out within in a month, and even though the Adventure Update is now clearly going to be the biggest update to the game with many game-changing elements, it's still being kept mostly secret because of that stupid petition. I just want to know how all this stuff will work and how to prepare, instead we're getting teaser shots and vague details over twitter.
Old July 22 2011, 12:16 AM   #1172
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I prefer to actually wait and see the updates before I start bitching. Though I am a bit concerned that this is going from a adventure/building game to just another RPG stat game.

As far as food, hell I always carry a bunch with me for exploration. A workbench and a bundle of wheat, or a bowl and both types of shrooms can get you through even the toughest cave.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 02:08 AM   #1173
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Which is unfortunate. It leads to bad PR, in my opinion. And honestly, it's not even that it's secret that it's the problem, as that's quite normal among the development process of any studio developing something, revealing things as they enter different phases of development. It's how information about it is being revealed that's the problem. If they're going to reveal something, they need to also give some context.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
If we look at their history of releasing details, they often release them with no context whatsoever leaving people to figure things out. Being that these would be major changes to how the game plays, they should have given context.
It wasn't like this with previous updates, it's like this now because when the Minecraft community on reddit heard that 1.7 was going to be the adventure update they got all excited and petitioned Notch to keep all the details secret so that they could be surprised. Back then, people assumed that the update would only include a few new monsters and items and that it would be out within in a month, and even though the Adventure Update is now clearly going to be the biggest update to the game with many game-changing elements, it's still being kept mostly secret because of that stupid petition. I just want to know how all this stuff will work and how to prepare, instead we're getting teaser shots and vague details over twitter.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 02:11 AM   #1174
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I didn't know about that petition. That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The Minecraft community seems to be composed predominantly of morons. Thank God for you guys, or I wouldn't have any reason to run a server!
Old July 22 2011, 08:44 AM   #1175
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Speaking of which Robert...

I have finally run out of things to do in SSP. Yes, I have even created that giant golden statue of Rick Astley. So, I make a formal request... what is the IP of the server you guys play on? I wanna join! Pretty please with cobblestone on top.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 09:46 AM   #1176
judge alba
senior street judge

if theres room can i join up?

I'd be most grateful
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 01:25 PM   #1177
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Both of you can PM me your Minecraft usernames, and I'll let you know the server address and whitelist you.
Old July 22 2011, 02:45 PM   #1178
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

WooHoo! New people!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old July 22 2011, 04:16 PM   #1179
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Ladies and gentlemen, the zeppelin mod:

The guy that made the mod also hopes that movable ships can be implemented.
Old July 22 2011, 04:33 PM   #1180
Robert Maxwell
beep

That's totally awesome, and I only hope it can be implemented in SMP somehow.
Old July 22 2011, 07:26 PM   #1181
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Quick! Start nagging the Bukkit people!
Old July 22 2011, 08:36 PM   #1182
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

It's awesome, yes... but kind of disappointing that it seems incapable of turning manually. What I'd like to see is a mod for better boat controls. I can't tell you how many times I've crashed my boat because the controls didn't turn it around in time.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2011, 09:20 PM   #1183
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, controlling a boat is laggy. You don't get the immediate feedback that you need.

And making half doors isn't possible anymore, is it? I was hoping I could make a half door to make it the size of a fence.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; July 22 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 01:25 PM   #1184
Aeon
Commander

You know what Minecraft needs? A crappling hook for long dark drops.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 02:23 PM   #1185
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Interestignly enough, theres a mod clled 'Better than Wolves' that has one. Along with a ton of other stuff.