Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20 2011, 05:39 PM   #16
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

clint g wrote: View Post
I'm giving it a b-.....bordering on a c +. It was fun. It was entertaining. But it also felt rushed as hell. It certainly felt more like a set up movie than anything else. I will say this though, it has me very excited for the avengers
Hmm could this be like Iron Man 2 where Iron Man took a back seat for setting up the Avenger's movie?
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I haven't seen this one yet, but I dislike how everything is taking a back seat to the 'shared universe'. Iron Man 2 would've been better without Shield or Fury. They should just concentrate on the individual characters, and worry about their stories. Don't worry about the stories of other characters or about trying to 'connect' everything. They didn't even have to mention Fury or Coulson until the Avengers movie. In Thor they got away with it. Maybe in this movie they don't.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I disagree on peoples complaints with IM2 but that is neither here nor there.
I've read several critics who think it works fine on it's own and others who think it's too Avengers crowded. I think it's just a hollow point of complaint. An easy target when one doesn't want to look at the story but yet get invested on the sidebar.

Captain America is working it's way up the RT score and was at 54% last I looked, up from 33% off the bat this morning. Metacritic was 59% not too long ago.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 06:55 PM   #19
davejames
Vice Admiral

Looks like the common complaint so far is that it's just another generic, by-the-numbers superhero flick. It might be better executed than GL, but apparently it's still about as thin and simplistic.

If that's the case, then fine by me. I don't need every superhero movie to be some epic, profound Dark Knight kind of thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 07:02 PM   #20
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I disagree on peoples complaints with IM2 but that is neither here nor there.
I've read several critics who think it works fine on it's own and others who think it's too Avengers crowded. I think it's just a hollow point of complaint. An easy target when one doesn't want to look at the story but yet get invested on the sidebar.
Yeah, for me the biggest issues were the lame and uninteresting villains, and a distinct lack of action. Neither one of those had anything to do with the Avengers scenes.
Old July 20 2011, 07:07 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Looks like the common complaint so far is that it's just another generic, by-the-numbers superhero flick.
I loved Green Lantern, and I've seen no reason so far not to expect Captain America to be just as enjoyable.

Wish I could see it this weekend, but I'm finishing up a big project that's going to leave no time or energy for other things. Well, maybe Sunday evening, if I'm real lucky...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 08:22 PM   #22
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

With 14 reviews in it's score is up to 57% on RT so far.
Over at Metacritic it's gone up to 62%
Old July 21 2011, 02:27 PM   #23
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The RT score is now up to 63%

Who's doing a midnight show? I'm tempted to do so cause I have Friday off but I'm seeing it for sure Friday night with a group of friends. What they don't know won't hurt them right?
Old July 21 2011, 02:35 PM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ebert gives it three stars and likes it a good deal better than Green Lantern or Thor. Maybe the fanboisie will refrain from bombing his mailbox this time.

Loved this bit:

Young Steve's Army confidante both before and after his transformation is the sultry Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), whose full red lips make her resemble a classic military pin-up of the period. He narrates their tour of the Brooklyn neighborhoods where he was picked on, and they grow close, but only PG-13 close, because Marvel has apparently determined that fanboys find sex to be icky.
Old July 21 2011, 02:42 PM   #25
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Roger Ebert wrote:
He adopts a costume and a stars-and-stripes shield, which serve primarily to make him highly visible

I think I'll see this one. It's getting decent reviews so far.
Old July 21 2011, 07:19 PM   #26
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

So who liked it at outlets known to most?
Ebert
NY Daily News
Chicago Truibune
NY Times
Boston Herald
Hollywood.com
Entertainment Weekly
MSN Movies
Orlando Sentinel
Rolling Stone Magazine

NYT
With a dusty color scheme that evokes newsprint and cheap ink, and a production design that captures the Deco-inflected futurism of an earlier time, the movie is nostalgic without making a big fuss about it. ...There is enough energy and imagination packed into “Captain America” to make you a bit sorry to see it all evaporate at the end. It might have been nice to be able to look forward to a few more sequels in the old, cheap, Saturday matinee style that the movie, at its best, pays tribute to, instead of another slick blockbuster. But progress is relentless, and superheroes can stay current only by changing with the times and synergizing their commercial powers.

Well then who at known mass outlets didn't like it?
Variety
Metromix.com
Slant Magazine
The Hollywood Reporter

Variety
Red, white and bland, "Captain America: The First Avenger" plays like a by-the-numbers prequel for Marvel Studios' forthcoming "The Avengers" movie, the proper teaser for which lies buried after the words "Captain America will return" in the end credits. While that 2012 tentpole will lump Cap in with Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and various other superheroes, this one focuses on constructing a blockbuster origin story for one of Marvel's most iconic creations. Although Joe Johnston earnestly attempts to resurrect the WWII-era action figure, with 3D conversion boosting the glossy pic's B.O. potential, his debut adventure comes across as remarkably flat.

It's currently at Fresh with 67% and 45 reviews in but it's been bouncing around. Not yet made it up to 70%, been in the 60's and the film will get at least 1/2 as many more reviews to come in so where it'll land is still undetermined. Hope it stays Fresh though for the sake of people who will use RT as a decision point.
Old July 21 2011, 07:30 PM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral

After they ditched their long-time critic, I don't put much stock in Variety's opinion anymore.
Old July 21 2011, 07:34 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's odd that the trade outlets like THR and Variety aren't sold on it; it's not like they exactly have biases against praising commercial crowd-pleasers.

Although I laughed at this remark in THR's review:

It’s run by the mad scientist Red Skull (go-to villain guy Hugo Weaving), whose red face may be the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong or just pain embarrassment at the Nazi clichés he is forced to play. He even listens to the soothing strains of Richard Wagner. Yes, he does.
I guess that goes along with the "you and I are alike" dialogue. Sometimes the hoariest of cliches work for the material.

Nor is the review an real pan of the movie - it's a bit more mixed than that:

Director Joe Johnston makes certain that amid all the retro-futuristic nonsense, his nucleus of actors playing SSR heroes fits well together. Evans nicely underplays the role, giving a Gary Cooper-ish air to the young hero who just wants to do the right thing. Atwell is a perfect throwback to that era: Darkly gorgeous yet tough as nails, she would look just at home painted on a bomber fuselage as she is slugging a solider who gives her lip.

Jones knows how to make every moment of screen time count with these grumpy and gruff characters he now plays, but Stan and Cooper aren’t so lucky: Their characters came out a little too thin in Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely‘s screenplay. Meanwhile, Weaving is very one-notish as the villain, which leaves it to Toby Jones, as his sidekick, to add a little nuance to Nazi villainy.

The tech team brilliantly supports the comic book action without any single department showing off or adding unnecessary flourishes. A special tip of the hat to Anna B. Sheppard’s costumes and Rick Heinrichs’ production design for maintaining enough period flavor so the production doesn’t go too overboard.
Old July 21 2011, 09:41 PM   #29
davejames
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if many critics are just burnt out on superhero movies. You can sense that most of them don't think much of the genre to BEGIN with, and now Captain America is the fourth such film coming out this year.
Old July 21 2011, 09:41 PM   #30
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

It's at it's highest RT score so far of 69%, hope the next reviews to hit are positive and it gets pushed into the 70th percentile.