A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old July 19 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Civ001
Lieutenant Junior Grade

What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

So from people who had watched Star Trek before they watched Stargate what did you think of the show when it came on? The first episode I watched was Grace I was wondering what kind of show this was and what it was but I thought it kind of had a Star Trek feeling to it. I found it to be wierd at first but I soon liked the show as much as I like Star Trek. So what do you think about the show?
Old July 19 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

I avoided SG-1 for years. Got into it around the end of season 7/beginning of season 8. It was fine back then, and Atlantis was fun the first three years, but after a while it all just went to shit. (Don't get me started on SGU)

Arc-wise some of it was fun to watch; but mostly it's cookie-cutter, lets-play-it-safe stuff. Entertaining and fun, like popcorn... but not anything I find ultimately fulfilling the way I find, say, LOST or Battlestar. Then again, I'd say the same about most of modern day Star Trek too.
Old July 19 2011, 07:15 AM   #3
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

I loved the movie! I'm not sure why, but it just really appealed to me. When I first heard that there was going to be a TV series and that MacGuyver was going to be in it, I was excited. So it started out on Showtime and repeated late at night on a local station, so it was hard to see. Finally, I watched the episode Hathor, which is one of the worst episodes ever. I was very disappointed, but my brother kept bugging me to watch it again and so I watched it once more, and honest to God, it was Hathor again. That was the end of that. Until years later when I had cable and it played on Sci-fi all the time. And I fell in love with it. I think that was the 7th season.

I love Stargate. I think it is better than Voyager, I enjoy it more at least, not as good as TNG or Buffy, and definately not up to DS9 standards. But I really enjoy the characters and the backstory and mythology. I also enjoy that the show and its producers don't take themselves too seriously.
Old July 19 2011, 08:04 AM   #4
SG-17
Commodore

I became a fan of both around the same time, but to me Stargate is better than all of the Treks except TNG. SG-1 is like a TOS if it got 10 seasons and a bigger budget, SG-A is like DS9 but good, SGU was like Voyager but a thousand times better, better than Atlantis actually and better than post season 7 SG-1.

Seasons 1 through 7 of SG-1 were on par with TNG.

Last edited by SG-17; July 19 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old July 19 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Enjoyable, but not quite as good as Star Trek.
Old July 19 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I loved it
Old July 19 2011, 03:07 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love Stargate, and I find it a lot more rewatchable than Star Trek. The characters are more fun.
Old July 19 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Lieutenant Commander

SG-17 wrote: View Post
SG-A is like DS9 but good, SGU was like Voyager but a thousand times better, better than Atlantis actually and better than post season 7 SG-1.
That's funny, for me Atlantis equals Voyager in the sense that it's more light hearted and more week-to-week stuff.
For me DS9 and SGU is "togheter" because of the different tone of the shows compare to the other in the franshise and more "serious".
Old July 19 2011, 07:39 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

I would label myself as a Sci-Fi fan, that doesn't mean I like every single Sci-Fi show but overall the SG shows where good. It's just a shame they didn't give Universe another half season or so to tie up the story.

As muchas I hate shows getting cancelled, I hate shows getting cancelled before they have an opportunity to finish of the story.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 20 2011, 02:14 AM   #10
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I think the only Star Trek I like as much as SG1 is DS9. SG1 is just a nice, fun sci-fi series that doesn't take itself overly seriously. I absolutely grew to love Colonel O'Neill. Atlantis was Ok, but it after a pretty good first season, it rarely did anything to make itself stand out. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed SGU. I thought it was interesting and I appreciated that it tried to make its own name for itself. However, SG1 is still by far the best. I'm even one of the few who thought it bounced back quite nicely seasons 9 and 10 after a generally mediocre season 8.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old July 20 2011, 08:21 AM   #11
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I love them both. The only thing I didn't like about Stargate was when they got a little too Trekkish with starship combat. Stargate: Universe seemed to solve that little problem. Well, until recently, that is.

I wish Jonas had made more appearances in SG:1 and Atlantis, had better stories in Atlantis and Voyager, and more seasons of TOS, Universe, and Enterprise.
Old July 20 2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I love Stargate. It's nowhere near as good as Farscape or Trek, but it's lots of fun. Although, its share of bad episodes is way too big, if you ask me.

One of the things I hate the most about it - two thirds of all the planets SG1 ever visited look like Canada.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just... You'd expect more diversity in the universe, that's all...
Old July 21 2011, 06:16 AM   #13
cylkoth
Commodore

^ It's because the Ancients created Canada.
Old July 21 2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Mach5
Rear Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
^ It's because the Ancients created Canada.
You should try to pitch that as a tourism slogan.
Old July 21 2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Tom
Rear Admiral

Stargate really became Star Trek but during present time. The concept of having ftl, ships, sheilds, weapons, transporters and exploring the universe yet be connected to modern day earth is interesting.