IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 14 2011, 02:07 PM   #1156
Jadzia
on holiday

Re: Minecraft

Old July 14 2011, 03:00 PM   #1157
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ My God this is amazing! How did they do the time-lapse on this? Was this some kind of a server option?
Old July 21 2011, 06:14 AM   #1158
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Some of the details about 1.8 are trickling in.

• Hunger. There's going to be a hunger bar.
  • EXP: An EXP bar as well, with things apparently becoming more difficult as you level up.
  • Permadeath. Wow, this is a big one. I'm really not keen on this, what with all the accidental deaths that can happen. Minecraft can be a very accident prone game, between falling down holes or ledges or getting blown up by creepers. I sure hope it can be toggled, especially on servers.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:19 AM   #1159
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Wow, I like absolutely none of that.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 11:52 AM   #1160
Aeon
Commander

I hope all of those things can be toggled. But then again, I guess it all depends how they do it. Could be fun, could be disastrous.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:18 PM   #1161
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

EXP: An EXP bar as well, with things apparently becoming more difficult as you level up.

Ummm, Notch? I think you've got that backwards.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:27 PM   #1162
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Some of the details about 1.8 are trickling in.

• Hunger. There's going to be a hunger bar.
  • EXP: An EXP bar as well, with things apparently becoming more difficult as you level up.
  • Permadeath. Wow, this is a big one. I'm really not keen on this, what with all the accidental deaths that can happen. Minecraft can be a very accident prone game, between falling down holes or ledges or getting blown up by creepers. I sure hope it can be toggled, especially on servers.
What the fuck?

Notch said he wouldn't do a hunger bar, or "anything that makes the game less fun." Making the game harder to play is not my idea of an improvement. And I wonder how "permadeath" is supposed to work, considering your character isn't really a "character" in the first place. What, your EXP resets to zero when you die? Not even Squeenix RPGs do that.

I don't know if Notch is tone deaf or just completely insane.
Old July 21 2011, 02:47 PM   #1163
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The permadeath thing is in reference to XP and possibly the complete loss of your inventory when you die. To be honest, this would have bothered me a couple of month ago, but when I was building my observation tower last month my game crashed while I was crouching over a ledge and when I logged back in I spawned at my bed. I was confused as I had never spawned at my bed before because I hadn't died since beds were introduced. In fact, I hadn't died in my SSP world in 7 months. Once you've established yourself in the world, dying should be very rare.

(Although, in saying that, I would have been pissed to lose all my XP because the game crashed while building a tall structure. I suppose it depends on how XP is implemented in the game.)

As for the hunger bar, it's part of a complete overhaul of the health system. Jeb didn't detail the new system but he did say that food will be stackable and it wont heal you instantly. I'm assuming that health will heal over time, like a slower version of peaceful mode, and how quickly you heal is related to how full your hunger bar is.
Old July 21 2011, 02:54 PM   #1164
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The permadeath thing is in reference to XP and possibly the complete loss of your inventory when you die. To be honest, this would have bothered me a couple of month ago, but when I was building my observation tower last month my game crashed while I was crouching over a ledge and when I logged back in I spawned at my bed. I was confused as I had never spawned at my bed before because I hadn't died since beds were introduced. In fact, I hadn't died in my SSP world in 7 months. Once you've established yourself in the world, dying should be very rare.

(Although, in saying that, I would have been pissed to lose all my XP because the game crashed while building a tall structure. I suppose it depends on how XP is implemented in the game.)

As for the hunger bar, it's part of a complete overhaul of the health system. Jeb didn't detail the new system but he did say that food will be stackable and it wont heal you instantly. I'm assuming that health will heal over time, like a slower version of peaceful mode, and how quickly you heal is related to how full your hunger bar is.
That makes some sense. I just hope it's not some kind of thing where you find yourself deep underground, busily mining, then you realize your hunger bar is about empty and you have to scramble to find some food--only to starve to death before you get back to the surface. It just sounds tedious.

On the other hand, if the mechanism works very slowly (like only draining half a heart every several minutes when you're "starving"), what's the point? Doesn't really add much.

I don't know, I guess I just have an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude about Minecraft. The health system works fine as it is--it's simple and consistent and easy to manage. I'm sure I'll get used to it but with all the other things that could be tweaked or added, this is on the list of priorities?

It will all be moot once I use mods to cancel this shit out.
Old July 21 2011, 02:58 PM   #1165
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Hmm... Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old July 21 2011, 03:24 PM   #1166
Peak
Fleet Captain

As I understand it, the hunger-thing will be tied to the difficult-setting (on "hard" or a new setting above). So, if you don't want to use it there should be no need to use it.

More info: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Hunger

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Di...tic_Difficulty

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 03:29 PM   #1167
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

If it's optional then I am totally cool with that. I'd love it if the whole game had toggles for various mechanics, so it's more customizable.
Old July 21 2011, 06:14 PM   #1168
Kimi3013
Captain

Why would you ever think that a 'hardcore' mode would be mandatory?
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 06:22 PM   #1169
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

I didn't, Owain Taggart did not specify that the features he described were part of a "hardcore" mode. The three points he listed were not put in the context of any difficulty at all, which led me to assume they would be default behaviors.

Further posts clarified this.
Old July 21 2011, 07:23 PM   #1170
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That's because they never mentioned wether it would or not. Honestly, if they're going to spill out details like that, I'd really like it if they'd say for what modes they're going to be for, rather than making people panic. I'm just being the messenger sharing the info that I saw, and I didn't specify anything because the info didn't. I just took what was on the forum's main page which didn't have very much info. If you go look on the forum site, you'll see it has no context at all. I also thought they'd be default behaviours because of that. If we look at their history of releasing details, they often release them with no context whatsoever leaving people to figure things out. Being that these would be major changes to how the game plays, they should have given context. Naturally, without any at all to form a basis from, one could easily assume that this would be applied globally to the game as a major gameplay change.

And the post in question is this:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/1...nd-permadeath/

But yeah, I agree with Robert. I like things simple and I'd hate for them to overcomplicate things. And I agree that Notch seems to be rather out of touch with what people want at times. After the map update, I haven't been keeping my hopes up for anything groundbreaking from the adventure update. The maps ended up being totally useless due to the resolution they use. It's one of those things that people likely use once and never touch again. I recently installed a minimap that totally blows that out of the water and is actually useful. The Adventure update is likely to be completely different than what a lot of people are thinking it will look like and somehow I have a feeling that people will discover villages and never return to them again.

There are other updates as well. Apparently there's going to be chicken that you can cook as well as a change in map height:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/1...licious-foods/

Last edited by Owain Taggart; July 21 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote