Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Children Of The Storm.
Outstanding 64 52.89%
Above Average 41 33.88%
Average 11 9.09%
Below Average 1 0.83%
Poor 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9 2011, 05:15 PM   #196
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

Maybe Janeway is making the most of the cards she was dealt and is trying to change the Q into a race that benefits the universe instead of causing trouble. She may be of more use where she is.

Of course, maybe she is taking the lemons female Q gave her and using them to burn her house down.
Old July 10 2011, 03:56 AM   #197
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

^

I like to think that she's taking the lemons Lady Q gave her and using them to float around the solar system as a fine mist.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 12:59 AM   #198
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I just finished Children of the Storm and rated as "Above Average".

I thought this was a very worthy followup to Full Circle and Unworthy. It continued to do what the other two books did, which I never thought would be possible: it made me care about the characters. One thing I like more than anything else about good TrekLit (and lit in general) is good character pieces, along with the story itself. This book had that in spades, both with the characters from the show as well as new ones.

I enjoyed watching B'elanna's adjustment to her new role as fleet chief engineer and how she dealt with the engineer from the Achilles. I liked seeing the "final" resolution between Tom and Harry (although that point was pretty much dropped as the book progressed). I liked the interplay between Seven and Cambridge and Seven's "move" at the end. I thought Chakotay was used a little awkwardly in the story (I agree with previous sentiments: is he in charge on his ship or not?), but like how he continued to try to act as a sounding board for Eden as well as sticking to his convictions.

As for the new characters, I LOVED the story about O'Donnell and Fife. I loved how, at the beginning of the book, I kept thinking "What is up with O'Donnell? How could someone be so incompetent?" and by the end of the book my attitude had completely changed around. I liked how O'Donnell handled Fife at the end and very, very much look forward to seeing how the relationship between those two continues to develop.

The only reason why this book did not get an "Outstanding" from me is, really, not the fault of the book itself. Although I was very pleased with the resolution of the problem and the new relationship with the Children (a wholly original race that was fascinating), I just couldn't get it out of my head that the Children as presented here were just simply not the same race as was presented in Destiny. Granted, they only appeared VERY briefly in Destiny, but their appearance there was so incredibly menacing that I just have problems seeing these as the same thing. But, that might actually be a good thing. For one: it shows just how alien the Children really are. They can be beyond menacing and dangerous to being a joyful, innocent race in a moment's time. That's fascinating too. But, as I said, it's still tough for me to wrap my head around it, so I just couldn't give it an "Outstanding".

But, Kirsten deserves all the credit in the world for this excellent continuation of the Voyager saga. After how much I disliked the show, for this and the previous two books to make me enjoy these characters so much shows how much credit she deserves. Voyager is currently the best TrekLit going today. Please Pocket and Kirsten: More!
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 01:19 AM   #199
Christopher
Writer

OverlordSpock wrote: View Post
Although I was very pleased with the resolution of the problem and the new relationship with the Children (a wholly original race that was fascinating), I just couldn't get it out of my head that the Children as presented here were just simply not the same race as was presented in Destiny. Granted, they only appeared VERY briefly in Destiny, but their appearance there was so incredibly menacing that I just have problems seeing these as the same thing. But, that might actually be a good thing. For one: it shows just how alien the Children really are. They can be beyond menacing and dangerous to being a joyful, innocent race in a moment's time. That's fascinating too. But, as I said, it's still tough for me to wrap my head around it, so I just couldn't give it an "Outstanding".
Is it really alien? We're a species that produced Hitler and Gandhi within a single generation. We created weapons that can destroy the entire world, yet we also created the Muppets and My Little Pony. So the same range from incredible menace to joyful innocence is part of us too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:43 AM   #200
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

^ And, perhaps you are right.

That being said, it's still tough for me to see them as the same species. I think part of the problem as well is that the brief glimpse we got of them in Destiny put a pre-conceived notion in my head. That notion was "menacing bad guy", for better or for worse. That's they way I expected them to be portrayed here. I realize though that, had that actually been all there was to them, I would have been severely disappointed in this book. I'm glad Kirsten took them the direction she did. It showed a ton of originality. But, at the same time, it took me out of the story a little as I read it the first time.

Maybe upon a re-read in a few years time, I'll see it differently.
Old July 13 2011, 04:34 AM   #201
Christopher
Writer

But isn't that how a lot of Star Trek stories have been told over the years? Something is introduced as a deadly, menacing force, but then turns out to be a harmless alien conducting a test (Balok), or a mother protecting its young (the Horta), or a soldier defending its territory against perceived invaders (the Gorn), or a grazing creature unaware that it was creating danger (the cloud creature in "One of Our Planets is Missing"), or a captain willing to risk everything to acheive communication (Dathon from "Darmok"), or whatever.

Old July 13 2011, 07:32 AM   #202
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

The only reason why this book did not get an "Outstanding" from me is, really, not the fault of the book itself. Although I was very pleased with the resolution of the problem and the new relationship with the Children (a wholly original race that was fascinating), I just couldn't get it out of my head that the Children as presented here were just simply not the same race as was presented in Destiny. Granted, they only appeared VERY briefly in Destiny, but their appearance there was so incredibly menacing that I just have problems seeing these as the same thing. But, that might actually be a good thing. For one: it shows just how alien the Children really are. They can be beyond menacing and dangerous to being a joyful, innocent race in a moment's time. That's fascinating too. But, as I said, it's still tough for me to wrap my head around it, so I just couldn't give it an "Outstanding".
Your Overlordliness...

Thanks for the many kind words. And I'll take an "Above Average" rating any damn day of the week.

I just find it interesting that the hell Quirinal went through in their confrontation with the Children, and Planck's destruction by them didn't seem menacing enough to connect them completely to the species David Mack established. Of course, YMMV, and you are completely entitled to your opinion. I just wonder if Captain Farkas or Captain T'Mar, may he rest in peace, would share it.

Best,
Kirsten
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 04:48 PM   #203
TerraUnam
Commander

Oh good Kirsten, you made it out of that Voyager panel at Shore Leave alive.
Old July 13 2011, 05:49 PM   #204
Cybersnark
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
But isn't that how a lot of Star Trek stories have been told over the years? Something is introduced as a deadly, menacing force, but then turns out to be a harmless alien conducting a test (Balok), or a mother protecting its young (the Horta), or a soldier defending its territory against perceived invaders (the Gorn), or a grazing creature unaware that it was creating danger (the cloud creature in "One of Our Planets is Missing"), or a captain willing to risk everything to acheive communication (Dathon from "Darmok"), or whatever.
Or a potential ally that needs to be understood and respected on its own terms (the Vulcans, the Klingons, the Ferengi, the Cardassians, the Romulans, perhaps even the Dominion). Arguably, this is kinda the point of Star Trek, and seeing it celebrated here just helped reaffirm the Federation's values post-Destiny.

I really enjoyed seeing the conflict between Farkas/T'Mar/Fife's more militaristic view and the more traditional Starfleet ideals of Chakotay, Eden, and O'Donnell. After what the Federation has been through in the last decade, it makes sense that some people would shift more toward "neutralizing threats and establishing dominance" than "exploring and learning." The real threat wasn't the Children, it was Starfleet losing its way.
Old July 14 2011, 04:10 AM   #205
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post
I just find it interesting that the hell Quirinal went through in their confrontation with the Children, and Planck's destruction by them didn't seem menacing enough to connect them completely to the species David Mack established. Of course, YMMV, and you are completely entitled to your opinion. I just wonder if Captain Farkas or Captain T'Mar, may he rest in peace, would share it.
I don't think I'm explaining myself well. It makes perfect sense in my head, but when you all say things like that, what I'm saying sounds stupid, until I run through it in my head again, when it makes perfect sense.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY liked the book and I really liked what was done with the Children. But, this one point just knocked it down a bit. As I said before, I don't think it's the book's fault. It's mine. But it is what it is.
Old July 14 2011, 10:26 AM   #206
Tirius
Captain

As for the new characters, I LOVED the story about O'Donnell and Fife. I loved how, at the beginning of the book, I kept thinking "What is up with O'Donnell? How could someone be so incompetent?" and by the end of the book my attitude had completely changed around. I liked how O'Donnell handled Fife at the end and very, very much look forward to seeing how the relationship between those two continues to develop.
Same here. This part of the story actually made me think of Equinox and how the relationships between Ransom and Burke and Janeway and Chakotay fell apart in the face of a crisis. I also think that making both O'Donell and Fife humans helped, as it truly allowed a focus on them as people rather than as representatives of different cultures, as we've often seen when opinions differ because of "alien" cultural values.

The resolution of this arc for me was Star Trek at its finest: a conflict ultimately resolved without weapons and people coming together with hope for a better future despite their differences.

The above is also part of what I liked most about this story: it helped flesh out the other ships in the fleet a little, as the previous novel focused mostly on the crews of Voyager and Galen. Quirinal and Demeter may take center stage, but we also get to look aboard Achilles and get to know Esquiline's captain. It helps put some dimension on the storyline as a whole and I much appreciated that.

Another "above average" from me.
Tirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 11:15 PM   #207
JWolf
Commodore

Every dead character in Trek needs to come back to life before we'll read or watch any more Trek.

Now that sounds every bit as silly as "We won't read any more Trek until Janeway is not dead."
Old July 16 2011, 11:57 PM   #208
Christopher
Writer

JWolf wrote: View Post
Every dead character in Trek needs to come back to life before we'll read or watch any more Trek.
They'll call it Star Trek: Blackest Night.

Old July 19 2011, 09:34 PM   #209
AuntKate
Commodore

Of course, the characters in the books following "Before Dishonor" think Janeway is dead, just as the TNG crew thought Picard was dead in "Tapestry." That's called dramatic irony--the characters think they're dead, but we know better. Wasn't it PAD who said that the Q never do anything without a reason? The Q messed with Picard's consciousness to teach him a lesson, and the Q must have a reason for rescuing Janeway's consciousness in "Before Dishonor"--we just haven't been let in on the secret.
Old July 20 2011, 03:03 AM   #210
Idran
Commander

AuntKate wrote: View Post
just as the TNG crew thought Picard was dead in "Tapestry."
Did they? I don't remember the crew saying Picard was dead, just that he was severely injured, had something akin to a heart attack, and had a near-death experience.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote