Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 18 2011, 07:55 PM   #346
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

In celebration of his 10,00th follower, Casey Hudson released this image of James Vega via Twitter.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 08:00 PM   #347
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

^ There's a pretty lively discussion on Giant Bomb's ME3 forums regarding that pic compared to the first image of James Vega that was released earlier, apparently he had a slight makeover

I don't know, I just think his name is fucking stupid.
"To hear some incensed fans tell it, The Sims 4 without pools or toddlers is a barren hellscape, an empty, rotten womb where fun is but a dim memory. I think those people might be overreacting just a smidgen bit, but you know, everyone’s got their priorities." - Nathan Grayson
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 08:01 PM   #348
Manticore
Rear Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
^ There's a pretty lively discussion on Giant Bomb's ME3 forums regarding that pic compared to the first image of James Vega that was released earlier, apparently he had a slight makeover

Serious uncanny valley there.

Can I...er...not recruit him when the game comes out?
Old July 18 2011, 08:06 PM   #349
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

@Dany said:
@Hailinel said:
@strangone said:
From Joystiq: "According to the May 2011 issue of Game Informer, Vega is meant to embody the mindset of a new player entering the franchise" ...indeed.
With a guy that looks like a 'roided out douchebag?
AKA the dudebro audience.
Nice. "Hey everyone, look at this dude! His hair rocks oh yeah America!" and then they see that this game is deep and stuff.
Oh Bioware, I see what you doin and is pretty funny. Keep it up. )D
Quote from the GB thread
"To hear some incensed fans tell it, The Sims 4 without pools or toddlers is a barren hellscape, an empty, rotten womb where fun is but a dim memory. I think those people might be overreacting just a smidgen bit, but you know, everyone’s got their priorities." - Nathan Grayson
Old July 19 2011, 11:33 AM   #350
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, I'm sure his brothers Vic and Vincent were always making fun of him for it...And I still say he looks like a total meat head.

Manticore wrote: View Post
Serious uncanny valley there.

Can I...er...not recruit him when the game comes out?
Yeah, unless that character has an earth shatteringly charming personality, I think I'll be Kaidening him Virmire style at the first opportunity. "Hey James, can you arm this nuke for me while the rest of us fly off over there? Be sure to shout when it goes off, there's a good chap!"

On an unrelated note, has anyone else seen this yet? I just came across it the other day. I don't know if the cosplay crowd have rules or anything, but this rather smacks of cheating to me.

Still, I'm interested to see the finished product.

Last edited by Reverend; July 19 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 11:36 AM   #351
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

^ Hahaha, that's kinda awesome
Old July 19 2011, 07:28 PM   #352
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Bioware's meatheads have a tendancy to become the most popular characters in their respective games. You can hardly blame them for doing what they've been told that they do best.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 07:43 PM   #353
HotRod
Commander

Yeah, but Wrex and Grunt didn't look like they came straight from The Jersey Shore.

Oh well, I still love you Bioware.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 09:20 AM   #354
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Bioware's meatheads have a tendancy to become the most popular characters in their respective games. You can hardly blame them for doing what they've been told that they do best.
Well, ME2's meathead addition arguably was Jacob Taylor, and he was far from being a popular character*.

*(To be fair, I'm going by anecdotal evidence at best - AFAIR, Jacob did extremely poorly in the popularity votes I've seen on message boards.)
Old July 20 2011, 07:58 PM   #355
sonn
Lieutenant

Well, ME2's meathead addition arguably was Jacob Taylor, and he was far from being a popular character*.

*(To be fair, I'm going by anecdotal evidence at best - AFAIR, Jacob did extremely poorly in the popularity votes I've seen on message boards.)
Well I'm in the minority but Jacob was my favourite character in ME2. The fact he seemed pretty much normal and didn't have a major issue/quirk is probably why he isn't too popular.
sonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 08:09 PM   #356
HotRod
Commander

I totally forgot he existed.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 10:01 PM   #357
Saquist
Commodore

sonn wrote: View Post

Well I'm in the minority but Jacob was my favourite character in ME2. The fact he seemed pretty much normal and didn't have a major issue/quirk is probably why he isn't too popular.

I liked Jacob's personality but I couldn't get over how he looked. The body was too long and his teeth just seemed toO BIG. But the personality he had in the romance with Fem Black shep was hot...

You're right...it nice to see a normal person on board...that's when I warmed up to Jacob.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 10:01 PM   #358
Reverend
Rear Admiral

To be fair, being the first squadmate you acquire he sort of has to be the least useful and least interesting otherwise a player might not be as interesting in playing with some of the others.

It's sort of compounded by the fact that by the time that you've levelled up to the point where he might actually be of some use, you'll have a whole slew of much more interesting and powerful characters and will have probably forgotten he's even there.

Another factor may have been that his loyalty mission was so dull and disconnected with the rest of the plot. Plus of course the fact that Miranda, Tali, Thane, Samara and (I suppose) Legion also all had loyalty missions that involved family members didn't help much either. I mean, who cares that his father turned out to be a power mad castaway/rapist? What did that add to Jacob's character exactly?

In hindsight, perhaps something involving his time in the Alliance corsairs might have provided much more fertile basis for story telling, filling out his back story, adding depth and a perhaps a bit of a character arc.

On top of that I get the impression there was supposed to be a rivalry between Jacob and Thane similar to the Jack/Miranda & Tali/Legion confrontations that was ultimately cut out of the game (I think Grunt and Mordin were supposed to have one too.)

Add all of this up and Jacob just became a bit of a non-entity. I mean what exactly was his job on the Normandy anyway and why did it mean he had to spend all his time alone in the armoury?

As for the paramour storyline...no sorry. I tried with one of my femsheps but his dialogue just creeped me out and she purposely got him killed on the suicide mission.
Old July 20 2011, 10:18 PM   #359
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

This is coming from a newcomer to the ME universe (having bought and beaten ME2 during the Steam Summer Sale), but can someone just pinch the VA for Male Shepard so he EMOTES? Dear god, it's like listening to a toddler read Shakespeare.

As for ME3, I'd love if it they gave you even more facial and hair customization for a new Shepard, and allow you to customize the locked armor sets, at least as far as paint and patterns go.

I don't feel like giving up my typical iridescent paint scheme for a walking ad for Cerberus.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 10:35 PM   #360
Reverend
Rear Admiral

This is coming from a newcomer to the ME universe (having bought and beaten ME2 during the Steam Summer Sale), but can someone just pinch the VA for Male Shepard so he EMOTES? Dear god, it's like listening to a toddler read Shakespeare.
^Partly the reason why I tend to stick to femsheps.
To be fair though, I think it was a conscious choice on Meers' part to keep the tone within a limited range, so that no matter what dialogue options the player chooses it all feels consistent. But yeah, it does necessarily mean it all comes out sounding rather bland.

Hale on the other hand tends to just really go for it. Much more interesting and emotive, but if you alternate between paragon and renegade, she can sometimes sound a little bi-polar.

Though I do prefer Hale's work, both actors made a valid choice and it's really a matter of personal taste, Regardless, I think this video rather aptly highlights the dramatic difference between the two approaches. Night and day, no?

As for ME3, I'd love if it they gave you even more facial and hair customization for a new Shepard, and allow you to customize the locked armor sets, at least as far as paint and patterns go.
I think the word is that there will be some improvements in the hair department and IIRC I think they're talking about being able to modify the hair of an imported Shep. Not sure if that's just at the start or an option available throughout (probably the former.)

I don't feel like giving up my typical iridescent paint scheme for a walking ad for Cerberus.
I think what bothered me most about the non-N7 armour sets was the lack of a helmet toggle. I mean what's the point of a custom made face if you can't see it half the time?