Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 19 2011, 05:24 AM   #61
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS Voice-Over Actor?

^^ Excuse my misreading both your intentions. Going by the “winky” emoticon, I’m pretty sure Gary7 didn’t take the quote seriously either. I still think there ought to be a smiley for irony.
Old July 19 2011, 11:21 AM   #62
Green Shirt
Commodore

Gary7 wrote: View Post
cblmc1296 wrote: View Post
As I recall, the Picard character did lay some French stuff on us very early in TNG, referring to a fellow ship captain as "mon ami" and also waxing nostalgic about the order of the colors blue, white, and red in their appearance on the French flag.
I don't remember him ever saying "mon ami", but I'll take your word for it.

IIRC it was Riker passing on the "mon ami" greeting to Picard from another ship's captain. Don't remember the ep, though.
Old July 19 2011, 11:58 AM   #63
Python Trek
Commodore

View Python Trek's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I did find this (don't know how accurate it is, because it had horrible spelling mistakes that I corrected):
Wikiality wrote:
Captain Picard claims to be French, but is actually English due to the Globalization of Earth. In the twenty-fourth century there are only two countries, USA (consisting of North America, the European mainland, Upper, Middle, and Lower East, Asia, South America, and Antartica)* and its dependent protectorate of Great Britain (consisting of Great Britain.)
That seems more plausible to me... although I'm sure anybody on TBBS who is French born-and-raised would be insulted at the idea that anyone French would allow their language and accent to fall by the wayside.
I don't know what Wikiality is, but that excerpt is entirely made up. Very little has been established about the geopolitical divisions of 24th-century Earth, although we do know there is a country called the European Alliance (mentioned in "The Price") and one called North Am which incorporates the former United States (because Thomas Raymond's address in "The Neutral Zone" is "Indianapolis, North Am, Earth").
Wouldn't "North Am" simply be short for "North America"? I don't think the person responsible for that graphic meant to imply that there's a country called "North Am". By the mid 22nd c., nations are all just provinces anyway, as I understand it.
Old July 19 2011, 03:51 PM   #64
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile

Green Shirt wrote: View Post

IIRC it was Riker passing on the "mon ami" greeting to Picard from another ship's captain. Don't remember the ep, though.
We've both almost got it. Here is the exchange between Riker and Picard from Encounter at Farpoint:

PICARD: Did you signal the Hood, Commander Riker?
RIKER: Your exact message. "Bon voyage, mon ami."
PICARD: What was my answer, computer?
Old July 19 2011, 04:34 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Python Trek wrote: View Post
Wouldn't "North Am" simply be short for "North America"? I don't think the person responsible for that graphic meant to imply that there's a country called "North Am".
Sure, it could've been an abbreviation, but who knows? Language changes in funny ways sometimes, and it often involves abbreviation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 06:02 PM   #66
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I think my favorite Doohan voice work was in A PIECE OF THE ACTION where he does the commercial ending with, "Brought to you by Bang-Bang, makers of the sweetest little automatic in the world."
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 08:55 AM   #67
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
"Encounter at Farpoint"? After DeSoto collected Admiral McCoy?

Picard refers to an illusion of his mother as "Maman" (ie. Mom) in "Where No One Has Gone Before".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 12:23 PM   #68
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Wouldn't "North Am" simply be short for "North America"? I don't think the person responsible for that graphic meant to imply that there's a country called "North Am". By the mid 22nd c., nations are all just provinces anyway, as I understand it.
In "The Defector," Picard refers to George Custer as a "countryman" of Riker's. So the USA does still exist as a country, Alaska is still apart of it, and Will Riker is the same nationality as Custer ... American.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 01:51 PM   #69
Python Trek
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wouldn't "North Am" simply be short for "North America"? I don't think the person responsible for that graphic meant to imply that there's a country called "North Am".
Sure, it could've been an abbreviation, but who knows? Language changes in funny ways sometimes, and it often involves abbreviation.
Fair enough. IIRC, I've read one or two sf stories over the years in which the entire continent is united under one government and it's called "Noram".
Old July 20 2011, 03:14 PM   #70
Christopher
Writer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
In "The Defector," Picard refers to George Custer as a "countryman" of Riker's. So the USA does still exist as a country, Alaska is still apart of it, and Will Riker is the same nationality as Custer ... American.
Or the "country" in question could be North Am(erica), which includes but is not limited to the former United States. After all, Alaska wasn't a part of the US until just 62 years ago. Countries can grow or combine with other countries.

Now, in "Lower Decks" we did have Riker correcting Sam Lavelle when the latter thought Riker was Canadian. But that could just be like what happened to me at Shore Leave recently when someone thought I was from New York and I told them no, I'm from Cincinnati. Just pointing out the difference doesn't mean they aren't part of the same geopolitical entity.

Old July 20 2011, 04:48 PM   #71
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm sure anybody on TBBS who is French born-and-raised would be insulted at the idea that anyone French would allow their language and accent to fall by the wayside.
Merde.

(Doesn't Picard say that at least once?)
Yes; early in Season 1. I was surpised to hear that word on a family-friendly show, just like years later when I heard O'Brien say "bollocks" on DS9.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 02:11 AM   #72
Python Trek
Commodore

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I'm sure anybody on TBBS who is French born-and-raised would be insulted at the idea that anyone French would allow their language and accent to fall by the wayside.
Merde.

(Doesn't Picard say that at least once?)
Yes; early in Season 1. I was surpised to hear that word on a family-friendly show, just like years later when I heard O'Brien say "bollocks" on DS9.

Doug
Do Brits receive broadcasts of Married with Children? If so, what do they think of Peg's maiden name and home county, Wanker?
Old July 21 2011, 03:29 AM   #73
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I can't seem to find the correct screen capture of that graphic, could someone please provide?

Perhaps North Am could be something like the "Northern Armenian Matriarchy." Not to be confused with the SPAM, the "Southern Peoples Armenia Matriarchy."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 03:55 AM   #74
Christopher
Writer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Perhaps North Am could be something like the "Northern Armenian Matriarchy."
It's the country that contains Indianapolis in the 24th century, so I doubt it.

Old July 29 2011, 05:54 AM   #75
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Getting back to the original subject, this sparked an email discussion with Bjo and others.

Suffice it to say that several blanks and erroneous listings have been corrected. Not just Mr. Edmiston, but several others that haven't been credited before.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote