Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 16 17.39%
Above Average 26 28.26%
Average 24 26.09%
Below Average 9 9.78%
Poor 17 18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15 2011, 06:57 AM   #316
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

Dream wrote: View Post
The scene with arrival of the Autobots on Earth and Optimus Prime's first transformation scene in TF1 was incredible. It got claps the first time I watched it in theaters.
That scene did make me feel eight years old again and was easily the best moment of the film, though even this moment was a little marred by the random kid referentially calling it 'cooler than Armageddon'.
Old July 16 2011, 05:54 AM   #317
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
The scene with arrival of the Autobots on Earth and Optimus Prime's first transformation scene in TF1 was incredible. It got claps the first time I watched it in theaters.
Now that I've seen the entire trilogy, I can truly say this is my absolute favorite scene in the entire series of films. The music, the effects, the camera angles - all of it was exactly what I expected and hoped for in a Transformers film. As a long time fan, I actually felt tears welling up the first time I saw this in the theater. It was like the kid in me was just so awed that he beamed out of me. It was a powerful moment.

Then not too long after, Bumblebee peed on Simmons...
Old July 16 2011, 07:52 AM   #318
inflatabledalek
Captain

The Autobot arriving scene is indeed probably the best non action moment in all three films, genuine goosebumps and Peter Cullen's first line instantly shows that hiring him was more than just a sop to the fans.

Bumblebee lubricating Simmons never bothered me though, Movie Bee is basically insane so it seemed perfectly in character for him.
Old July 16 2011, 07:00 PM   #319
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I would have to agree that the Autobots' arrival at Earth in the first film is the iconic moment from the entire trilogy. Everything about it just works perfectly. Steve Jablonsky's score is incredible here (I really like his music from all three films... I just wish the released soundtracks featured the complete scores).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 11:34 PM   #320
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Saw it for the third time last night and can anyone help me with how Soundwave is on Earth. That is the one thing I still haven't reconciled.
Even in it's third weekend there were people in the audience who at the moment Prime shows up in Chicago after bailing out Team Epps with Sam and says "We will kill them all", there was still a reaction from what I assume are first viewers. More muted but it was there.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 07:14 AM   #321
captcalhoun
Admiral

i assume he's simply travelled to Earth in the interval between movies and assumed an Earthen alt-mode.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 08:40 AM   #322
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
As a movie, I agree with his review basically to the letter.

As a fan of loud, dumb action movies and robots kicking the living shit out of each other, I'd say I definitely got what I was in for. Managing expectations is key to the Michael Bay experience.

That said, it certainly was, by far, the dumbest of all the Transformer movies so far.
Old July 18 2011, 04:01 PM   #323
captcalhoun
Admiral

primus hates you. and ebert.
Old July 19 2011, 02:55 AM   #324
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Ebert inferior. Bay superior. [/G1 Soundwave]
Old July 19 2011, 05:53 AM   #325
Jono
Rear Admiral

Just saw it. It was okay.

I found some of the story confusing in terms of the timeline. I thought Megatron was on Earth because he crashed chasing the AllSpark, but this movie made it out that the plan was always to move Cybertron to Earth as Sentinel was going to meet Megatron on Earth. It might make sense if I say a timeline ploted out but the entire thing from all 3 movies seems a bit of a mess.

Or why Megatron was brought back from the dead once (or was it twice, I really can't remember if he "died" in the 2nd movie), but they couldn't do the same for Sentinel? Anyway, the Decepticons aren't the smartest bunch. 200+ of them came out in DC and they didn't try to kill the President or blow up the Pentagon or why they even bothered setting up their main camp in the USA, the strongest power in the world and mostly likely to be able to foul up your plans. In fact why not do all of this on the moon? Why bring all that stuff to Earth in the first place?

The wing suit scene was cool, as long as you don't think about the logic behind it. It seemed like the most wasteful and unnecessary method possible to achieve their objective.

Prime ordering to "kill them all" and then executing Sentinel Prime sits uneasy with me. Prime has generally stood for everything that is good and just and it just seemed wrong for his character to say and do these things. Even the Decepticons at one point took prisoners until McDreamy decreed that it was execution time.

I did enjoy seeing Lester Speight, it brought back memories of those fantastic Terry Tates vids back in the early 2000s.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 07:24 AM   #326
captcalhoun
Admiral

Prime has generally stood for everything that is good and just and it just seemed wrong for his character to say and do these things
you, who are without mercy, no beg for it? i thought you were made of sterner stuff, Megatron...

AS HE STANDS OVER HIS VANQUISHED ENEMY AND PREPARES TO EXECUTE HIM!

yeah, funny how everyone forgets that in the animated movie when they diss BayPrime...
Old July 19 2011, 07:56 AM   #327
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

It doesn't bother me that Prime said to kill them all, as out of character as it may seem. By this point, the Decepticons had tricked everyone into sending the Autobots away, and instantly capitalized on it to level an entire city, and slaughtering people just for fun. Optimus Prime realized there was no compassion or mercy among the Decepticons, and to protect humanity, decided he needed to be relentless.

Of course that's not how it really played out in the movie. It just comes across as yet another out of character moment, such as yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE", or hunting down and killing Decepticons who were apparently just hiding. But if he had 3 movies of being in character, and they played it that way, it could have worked very effectively. It just didn't.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote