Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 13 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

Any news on Cawley's Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West remakes?

Just curious.
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Any news on Cawley's Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West remakes?

Same here. The clips that were posted in the forum looked promising. Be a shame if it just faded away or something.
Old July 13 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Captain Atkin
Commander

I'm curious about Buck Rogers too. Looks interesting, and it has a good cast. I have only seen pics of Cawley in costume for the Wild Wild West one. At this point, I would be very interested to see what Cawley and Company could do with an "original production", rather than another fan film based on an old TV property. I could easily see them getting an original production (a movie) picked up for broadcast on a channel like "Sci-Fi", or Canada's "Space" Channel.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Well, between Phase II,and Back to the Wild Wild West, and Buck Rogers Begins, we have lots of competing priorities--and lots of volunteers who do these productions only as their time and jobs and wives and children and funds will allow. So we're not breaking any speed records, but none of these projects is abandoned--we're just slow.

It's a little old now, but we did put together a brief snippet of footage from "Buck Rogers Begins"--with Gil, Erin, and Bobby. To explain a little bit about the production, it starts with "Buck" during World War I (just like Buck was originally in the comic strip). So we gave the "old timey" fooage a sepia tone. When Buck wakes up in the 25th century after his incident in an old Pennsylvania mine, the "future" (like Oz) will be in color.

Anyway, here's our little snippet. There's nothing new here, but comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-...yer_detailpage&hl=en&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-...yer_detailpage&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I'm curious about Buck Rogers too. Looks interesting, and it has a good cast. I have only seen pics of Cawley in costume for the Wild Wild West one. At this point, I would be very interested to see what Cawley and Company could do with an "original production", rather than another fan film based on an old TV property. I could easily see them getting an original production (a movie) picked up for broadcast on a channel like "Sci-Fi", or Canada's "Space" Channel.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Starhawk
Lieutenant

I would like to see more of this, but the website hasn't had much in the way of updates, so I am not holding out hope for it.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

For those who whine about off topic tangents taking over discussion threads, consider this: it keeps those threads front and center so that they're ready when there is something relevant to report. It also helps remind certain folks that there's still an interest out there and those interested parties are waiting for news. Even something relatively inane, like Cawley got a haircut and is going blonde for awhile, something to let us know that the whole thing hasn't shut down and folks are still doing something on this.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 04:47 PM   #7
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

So, given a choice between posts made by the production team only when there is actually something substantive to report and posts that are merely frivolous filler-crap to keep stringing you along, you come down squarely on the side of frivolous filler-crap that keeps you strung along. Fair enough.

I'm concerned that not everyone shares your perspective and that we might take a hit from people who'll complain that our posts have only inane content.

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
For those who whine about off topic tangents taking over discussion threads, consider this: it keeps those threads front and center so that they're ready when there is something relevant to report. It also helps remind certain folks that there's still an interest out there and those interested parties are waiting for news. Even something relatively inane, like Cawley got a haircut and is going blonde for awhile, something to let us know that the whole thing hasn't shut down and folks are still doing something on this.
Old July 15 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the update Schnitz and I'm glad to hear things are on track.
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I'm coming down squarely on the side of "don't just leave us hanging out here". The example of Cawley's hair color at the moment is on the extreme side, granted, but what might seem a non-news item on your end will probably find a very receptive audience on this end.

Maybe something you discovered in your prop research, for example...?
Old July 17 2011, 01:19 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

For those who whine about off topic tangents taking over discussion threads, consider this: it keeps those threads front and center so that they're ready when there is something relevant to report.
This theory killed the Starship Exeter topic.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 03:45 AM   #11
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

No, the lack of ANYTHING but the occasional teaser pic is what's killing the Exeter thread.
Old July 17 2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
For those who whine about off topic tangents taking over discussion threads, consider this: it keeps those threads front and center so that they're ready when there is something relevant to report.
This theory killed the Starship Exeter topic.
Right.

No, the lack of ANYTHING but the occasional teaser pic is what's killing the Exeter thread.
Wrong.

'Nuff said.
Old July 18 2011, 07:02 AM   #13
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I'm coming down squarely on the side of "don't just leave us hanging out here". The example of Cawley's hair color at the moment is on the extreme side, granted, but what might seem a non-news item on your end will probably find a very receptive audience on this end.

Maybe something you discovered in your prop research, for example...?
Man, sometimes I really, really hate Star Trek fans.
Old July 18 2011, 03:43 PM   #14
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I'm coming down squarely on the side of "don't just leave us hanging out here".
I'm coming down firmly on the side of if you're so sure you know how to do it...do it. If they stood to make or lose money it might be in their self-interest to keep updates coming, but even then it's still their business. Fan productions are not going to make or lose money and obviously there is one group or another of fans who will not be satisfied. I have no problem with anyone who decides their time is better spent trying to get the product out than trying to update everyone on every development.

I might prefer more information or updates, but that's my preference, not something written in stone.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 04:24 PM   #15
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

It’s worth reminding folks that while our Star Trek project and our Wild, Wild West project are simply fan productions for which we have not secured any licensing and are not entitled to make a cent, the Buck Rogers Begins project is something else entirely. We have a full licensing agreement from the owners of Buck Rogers and we are entitled to derive income and make a profit from the project—if we can figure out how to do that. So, in the case of Buck Rogers Begins, we will likely charge per stream or per download or put it on ITunes or charge per disc or, well, we haven’t nailed down the specifics of the delivery system and how to monetize that.

In short, Buck Rogers Begins is a fairly low budget professional production, not just a fan production.

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I'm coming down squarely on the side of "don't just leave us hanging out here".
I'm coming down firmly on the side of if you're so sure you know how to do it...do it. If they stood to make or lose money it might be in their self-interest to keep updates coming, but even then it's still their business. Fan productions are not going to make or lose money and obviously there is one group or another of fans who will not be satisfied. I have no problem with anyone who decides their time is better spent trying to get the product out than trying to update everyone on every development.

I might prefer more information or updates, but that's my preference, not something written in stone.