TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 14 2011, 11:37 PM   #136
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

I cannot even tell you where there is a Blockbuster now.
Old July 14 2011, 11:47 PM   #137
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
True, although the five in-store exchanges have the benefit of reducing the time between getting discs. Still, I prefer Netflix's service.
There used to be a Blockbuster w/n walking distance but it's long gone. My mailbox is much closer. I ain't driving and fighting for parking just to return disks!
And streaming is even less hassle! No mailing, no leaving the house....

Yes, our local Blockbuster went out of business a couple of months ago. We have those redbox things at our local grocery store. My wife gets those things once in a while.

Streaming really has to be the wave of the future. Whatever cost structure between netflix and the studios will support streaming everything will end up being the final word, I think.

At least until they start beaming movies directly into our brains.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2011, 11:47 PM   #138
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I would have to do a google search to find one...

As I use both, Blockbuster's deal is still teh sux.

Not sure what we'll do...
Old July 14 2011, 11:57 PM   #139
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
True, although the five in-store exchanges have the benefit of reducing the time between getting discs. Still, I prefer Netflix's service.
There used to be a Blockbuster w/n walking distance but it's long gone. My mailbox is much closer. I ain't driving and fighting for parking just to return disks!
And streaming is even less hassle! No mailing, no leaving the house....
I might have mentioned this before, but streaming doesn't cover all the options in my queue. Right now, DVD=254; Instant=63. Until there's 100% parity (and I ain't holding my breath!), and considering that Netflix is now forcing us to choose, I have to opt for DVD.
Streaming really has to be the wave of the future. Whatever cost structure between netflix and the studios will support streaming everything will end up being the final word, I think.
That's assuming Netflix can ever get streaming rights to everything. From everything I've read, that is a very high hurdle. Studios know the value of streaming and will throw up barriers.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 12:06 AM   #140
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
We still have one.

And Family Video just opened a new store!

Not sure how that's possible, but they are expanding.
Old July 15 2011, 02:07 AM   #141
blueXmas

I think we'll be cancelling the DVDs (1 at at time plan, and even then sometime we send a disk back unwatched) and just streaming. I like discovering foreign or independent films I'd never watch otherwise, and documentaries, and my husband loves '30s and '40s film noir. (Our recommendations are a mess.). If we want to watch a newer movie, we can just Redbox, and catch new-ish movies On Demand.
Old July 15 2011, 02:33 AM   #142
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Yeah. This is a PR/brand image fuckup, not a pricing fuckup. Maybe they can't help the pricing issues, but they sure as shit can control their message. Heads should roll.
I agree with this. After mulling this over for several days, I haven't been able to really get upset about the pricing. I get more than my money's worth per month. I spend more on lunch and coffee in two days than I do on this increased price.

The way the news was delivered on the other hand was horrible. I read the email I got and kept thinking "I could have written something 10x better than that half asleep!"
Old July 15 2011, 03:29 AM   #143
Let the Good Times Roll!!

That's assuming Netflix can ever get streaming rights to everything. From everything I've read, that is a very high hurdle. Studios know the value of streaming and will throw up barriers.
I agree. I think eventually the idea will have to be a premium pricing plan for new releases.

It's like download-able music: the record companies didn't like it, but had to accept it, and found a way to keep most of their profits (through iTunes, etc.).
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 05:24 AM   #144
Kestra
Vice Admiral

bluedana wrote: View Post
I think we'll be cancelling the DVDs (1 at at time plan, and even then sometime we send a disk back unwatched) and just streaming. I like discovering foreign or independent films I'd never watch otherwise, and documentaries, and my husband loves '30s and '40s film noir. (Our recommendations are a mess.). If we want to watch a newer movie, we can just Redbox, and catch new-ish movies On Demand.
Sounds like us, our recommendations are all over the place. We had the same plan and sometimes end up not watching movies as well. I already switched to streaming and I'm going to see what our options are. The one thing I'll miss and I don't see an easy replacement for are tv series. There are a lot of them streaming now but that could always change, and there are still plenty that are only on discs. I've gotten more enjoyment out of discovering shows than watching movies for the past year or two now.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 06:46 AM   #145
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Yep. I like a little bit of everything, and so Netflix throws everything but the kitchen sink at me for recommendations.

I'll likely just stick with streaming and do the Redbox thing for new movies. We've got three Redbox locations within 1/2 mile of each other and the house. I don't watch new movies very often, so I will always have a free coupon code when I go to rent one, so this works for me!

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 08:11 AM   #146
Mike Ram
Lieutenant Commander

I really enjoyed using the site until around a year ago, when they suddenly removed all the friends/lists features. I liked clicking onto other peoples' profiles to see their reviews and ratings, and I even made my own lists of genre films so my friends could check out the shows I recommended. By taking that away, they destroyed the site's sense of community.

That's not the only thing that's happened in the last year: They removed individual season reviews from shows, made the UI on streaming harder to use, and of course raised their prices.

Personally, I made the same decision as Temis. I've watched some great shows and movies on streaming, but the majority of the shows I want to see are only available on DVD. I viewed streaming as a cool bonus, and it sucks that they took that away...I was thinking of alternating every few months just in case there's something special that comes up.
Mike Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 08:19 AM   #147
Kirkman1987
Commodore

doesn't bother me, I've been using streaming almost exclusively, and I watch mostly older stuff anyway.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 08:55 AM   #148
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
doesn't bother me, I've been using streaming almost exclusively, and I watch mostly older stuff anyway.
The same for me, my DVD choices were mostly random anyways, so to just go to streaming actually saves me a couple bucks a month.
Old July 15 2011, 09:44 PM   #149
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
I think eventually the idea will have to be a premium pricing plan for new releases.
Since movie pricing is already keyed to time (it costs more to see a movie in a theater than to rent it on DVD), the logic of this should be extended - new releases are $X when released, and then the price stairsteps down at predetermined intervals. Customers can set their queue so that Title A is at $X 6 months after theatrical release, Title B is at $Y at 9 months, Title C is at $Z at 12 months, etc.

One moral-of-the-story in this whole monumental fuck-up is that is is absolutely essential to understand - and control! - customers' definition of "what is just." Netflix created expectations of "what is just" in pricing and then violated those expectations. It's not an issue of what really is just (like a lot of people have noted, Netflix's pricing is cheap anyway, and therefore "just" in comparison with other options), but what expectations are being created.

Customers already accept that "quicker means more expensive," so basing pricing on that idea is less likely to cause a shitstorm than inventing new rules that customers are not already used to.

Also, the more options you give customers to customize their pricing structure, the happier they'll be. Letting someone choose X, Y and Z price, keyed towards release date, will result in plenty of people going for X becuase people are impatient after all. But they'll be much happier about it because it was their choice. If X were the only choice, they'd go bitch about it on Facebook.

The great thing about an internet based business is that you can create a panoply of pricing options very cheaply by just building it into the database and let the customers do all the work. The more complication Netflix throws into the pricing structure, the happier the customers will be, staying busy futzing with their queue instead of making trouble. And it makes it more difficult for them to even figure out what the "right" price should be anyway, when there are too many options for easy comparison.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 10:30 PM   #150
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
We still have one.

And Family Video just opened a new store!

Not sure how that's possible, but they are expanding.
I thought as much. Once Blockbuster started to die, there would be something new to take its place. Not everyone will do streaming. In fact, I think there will always be a market for physical versions of movies and such.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote